Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Very tempted to say "I stewed it with tomatoes and red wine" (oops, I did say it)

Just a basic stew.
    I fried onions, celery, carrots and lots of whole garlic cloves, without much colour in a casserole pot. Meanwhile in a frying pan, I browned the oxtail really well and added it to the veg. Then I deglazed the pan with a some red wine and added that to the casserole with two tins of good quality tinned tomatoes, topped up to almost covering the meat with more wine. Added some bayleaves, thyme and sage (all fresh) and some whole pepper corns, some sea salt, brought it up to the boil, covered it and put in a 140 deg oven for 3 hours. Left it for two days in the fridge. Heated it up. Eated it.

Very nice.

Oh and sucking the bones clean of all meat and jelly is a must when eating. Picky people need not apply!

Awfully tempted to put this in a slow cooker. Simple and fancy, all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Simple tasty chicken mushroom korma curry n chip's nom

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Awfully tempted to put this in a slow cooker. Simple and fancy, all at once.

Should work fine in a slow cooker but I would brown the tail well first and maybe reduce the liquid.
    It's a very simple dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Jamie Oliver's Pea and Goat's Cheese Risotto.
    Hadn't as much rice as I thought I had, but still very good, added some more peas than I normally would.
    I used stock from pheasant bones of a pheasant casserole I made in cider at the weekend. I rinsed the bones before putting them into water for stock, but it was still sweet. Surprisingly pleasant.

2014-05-13182840.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Leftover toast chicken, sweet potato chips and grilled pepper, onion and cherry tomatoe. 'Twas thrown together but really delicious!!

5Vimu8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Butter chicken with spinach, rice and a whopper of a naan bread!
    DB8B21D7-B7BB-41AF-A85E-49502F6DD445_zps6kosqyxb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So after over 5 hours cooking, I took out this charred lump of meat thinking that I've overdone it. However, underneath was the most juicy, succulent and tasty meat ever. What a treat! Thanks Dizzy et al. This place is just the best! :)

89BBB176-D462-48E2-93A7-EA8146A693D9_zpscioa4nin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So i bought a packet of large Naan breads the other day and was thinking what should i do with them....

Decided to try something ive never done before.
    The sauce was a tin of chopped tomatoes blended to remove the chunky bits then i added some garlic powder some mixed herbs mixed chilli a little salt and pepper bit of tomato puree and a little Sriracha sauce.

I fried some chicken pieces and madras paste together. Chopped some mushroom chilli sausage and chorizo and finished it with mozzarella on top!.

Moved it over onto a baking tray and stuck it in the oven for about fifteen maybe twenty minutes and it actually tasted great :-).

Will try it again sometime with some different toppings. Would be even better if the Naan was thicker too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So after over 5 hours cooking, I took out this charred lump of meat thinking that I've overdone it. However, underneath was the most juicy, succulent and tasty meat ever. What a treat! Thanks Dizzy et al. This place is just the best

Do tell? Recipe/link? Please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Roast chicken with the end of our garlic pesto under the skin, squash roasted under the chicken & creamed spinach (also a little bernaise from a jar which was not the worst thing I've ever eaten! You wouldn't smother a steak in it because it's very sweet (think salad cream) but a little was nice)
    087D04D5-AED3-4380-8C7D-7950438B492F_zpsbb0om4qd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do tell? Recipe/link? Please :)
    If I didn't have a slow cooker I'd use the Hairy Bikers' recipe.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/652180

I always use the BBQ sauce from their Mother Knows Best book - everyone seems to like it.

3 tomatoes, chopped (I use half a tin of chopped tomatoes)
    1 red onion, finely chopped
    1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 tsp mustard powder
    240 ml ketchup
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    55g sugar
    1 tbsp cornflour mixed with
    3-4 tbsp of water
    salt & black pepper
    *If you're cooking a large piece of pork you might have to double the quantities.

Put everything except the cornflour & water into a pot and bring to the boil. Slowly stir in the cornflour mixture until the sauce has thickened.

The only thing I'd add is to line the baking tray with tin foil. It gets very burnt, very!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Here's some meals from the last few days:

First up on Tuesday was Spaghetti Bolognese..all home-made and delicious:

140znyf.jpg

Then on Friday I spent three hours making a home-made lasagne which was well worth the effort; served with a few chips and a salad:

2ceggtu.jpg

Saturday we had a salmon salad:

260actv.jpg

And tonight we had Mexican chicken with peppers, red onion, rosemary/garlic/mustard baby potatoes, carrots and green beans:

5xnaeu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Pizza and mini garlic pizza bread with cheese - I used the recipe from the death by cheese pizza in the cooking club. I think I made a mistake in the recipe somewhere as the base was very heavy and doughy despite being rolled as flat as possible. It treated more like a savoury base. I dying know where I any wrong!!

Pizza was lovely despite this and I enjoyed it. Have some left over for tomorrow too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

sillymoo wrote: »
    Pizza and mini garlic pizza bread with cheese - I used the recipe from the death by cheese pizza in the cooking club. I think I made a mistake in the recipe somewhere as the base was very heavy and doughy despite being rolled as flat as possible. It treated more like a savoury base. I dying know where I any wrong!!

Pizza was lovely despite this and I enjoyed it. Have some left over for tomorrow too

Well I dunno what you did wrong, all I see is a yum yum pizza that I would love to bite into now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Gratin of fennel and cured ham, it was very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

dipdip wrote: »
    Mexican chicken and mixed bean stew. With rice.

dipdip, that looks absolutely fricking gorgeous. I will try this out on Saturday and let you know how it goes, thanks for the recipe share.

Loire wrote: »
    Hiya,

That looks really good. I've never cooked Ox tail - how did you cook it?

Loire.

Wow Loire that surprises me, I got an ox Tail pre christmas and if you use it and a shin of beef, you'll have the most amazing stew ever ;) I think what Beer rev did is pretty much in line with what i do for mine.

Ye come out with a relativley cheap dinner which will feed the masses for a couple of days and doesn't require constant attention.

I have a tail in the freezer at the moment but the weather is too good for a stew right now, but give it a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

brinty wrote: »
    Wow Loire that surprises me, I got an ox Tail pre christmas and if you use it and a shin of beef, you'll have the most amazing stew ever ;) I think what Beer rev did is pretty much in line with what i do for mine.

Ye come out with a relativley cheap dinner which will feed the masses for a couple of days and doesn't require constant attention.

I have a tail in the freezer at the moment but the weather is too good for a stew right now, but give it a few days.

Thanks for that tip - I'll pick up one on Saturday with some chin and let it cook away all Sunday in the slow cooker :)

Loire wrote: »
    Thanks for that tip - I'll pick up one on Saturday with some chin and let it cook away all Sunday in the slow cooker :)
    The butcher i use sells a full tail for 5.99 and a shin for €6/7, so throw in the veg etc and spuds, you should get 6-8 full dinners out of it at least for roughly €5/16 euro ;)
    Hope it turns out delicious and fall apart good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

sillymoo wrote: »

I had a look at the dough recipe and the photos in that Death by Cheese thread. I have to say the dough after its cooked looks almost pastry like, perhaps its to do with the addition of baking powder or it was rolled out with a rolling pin.

I would try it without the baking powder. Here is my dough recipe which i think makes a great base from months of trail and error :)

Makes 4, 12 inch size pizza's
    650g High gluten flour (Strong white flour or Tipo '00' Italian flour)
    325ml Warm water
    7g Dry yeast
    1 Tablespoon sugar,
    50ml Olive oil
    2 Teaspoons of salt

First add the yeast and sugar to the warm water. This will give the yeast time to activate while you prepare the rest. The sugar also helps with the activation as its food for the yeast. It should have a nice foamy top on it when its ready to use.

Sieve your flour into a large bowl, add the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast mixture. Gradually incorporate the flour into it with a fork. Finally add the olive oil and mix this in well, i do this last because i want the flour to fully absorb the water before adding the oil, which then locks in the moisture.

You should have a sticky'ish lump of dough at this stage, dont worry about this, its supposed to be like that. Better for it to be too moist than too dry. Empty the dough onto a well floured surface and begin to knead the dough for about 10 mins. The dough should be smooth and elastic.

Place the dough into a well oiled bowl. Cover with a towel and let it rest for about 30mins in a warm place until the dough is twice its original size.

Empty the dough out onto a floured surface. and cut into 4 equal pieces. Form each one into a round ball, here is a video of the correct technique:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-8xEpX47Yc

Place them on a tray, cover with cling film and put in the fridge for 1 hour.

When ready to make your pizza, take a dough ball and lightly press it down with your fingers starting in the center, working your way to the edges leaving a thicker outer edge. Gently stretch the dough out with your palms until you have a thin base. What ever you do, do NOT use a rolling pin ! If you do you just squeeze all the air out of the dough that the yeast spent 1 hour and 30 mins developing.

Top with your choice of toppings. Try to keep the toppings light and not use too much sauce, otherwise the dough wont rise when baking. For best results bake it on a pizza stone at the highest temperature in the oven. The hotter the better. I dont time my pizza, i just wait until the crust is golden, usually under 12 mins.

I recently started experimenting with baking it in my gas bbq which goes up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit and got amazing results.

• Advertisement

My variation on baked Buffalo wings.
    Dressed green salad after and a couple of raw carrots.

I don't be doing with celery or blue cheese dip.

7qvgTp.jpg

Guess we're all round to the beer revolu house tonight for some of thos e bad boys....
    They do look amazing beer
    I find the baked is better than deep fried too

brinty wrote: »
    I find the baked is better than deep fried too

Smoked the bejaysus out of my kitchen at the temp I did them though:eek:
    but lovely and crispy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

On Monday I made two dishes of Shepards pie using lamb mince. I had some for dinner that night but the rest is for lunch at work served with a side of raw spinach.

2958CE90-5052-4776-AE2A-EC3BF483DCA4_zps6xp1h65b.jpg

Last night I made a mushroom and leek pasta in a creamy tarragon sauce and topped with Parmesan. I was going to add Serrano ham but I decided against it.

C5E8C7A4-70C7-46B6-9DAA-6CB5BDA001EF_zpswkulyfxs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Overflow wrote: »
    I had a look at the dough recipe and the photos in that Death by Cheese thread. I have to say the dough after its cooked looks almost pastry like, perhaps its to do with the addition of baking powder or it was rolled out with a rolling pin.

I would try it without the baking powder. Here is my dough recipe which i think makes a great base from months of trail and error :)

Makes 4, 12 inch size pizza's
    650g High gluten flour (Strong white flour or Tipo '00' Italian flour)
    325ml Warm water
    7g Dry yeast
    1 Tablespoon sugar,
    50ml Olive oil
    2 Teaspoons of salt

First add the yeast and sugar to the warm water. This will give the yeast time to activate while you prepare the rest. The sugar also helps with the activation as its food for the yeast. It should have a nice foamy top on it when its ready to use.

Sieve your flour into a large bowl, add the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast mixture. Gradually incorporate the flour into it with a fork. Finally add the olive oil and mix this in well, i do this last because i want the flour to fully absorb the water before adding the oil, which then locks in the moisture.

You should have a sticky'ish lump of dough at this stage, dont worry about this, its supposed to be like that. Better for it to be too moist than too dry. Empty the dough onto a well floured surface and begin to knead the dough for about 10 mins. The dough should be smooth and elastic.

Place the dough into a well oiled bowl. Cover with a towel and let it rest for about 30mins in a warm place until the dough is twice its original size.

Empty the dough out onto a floured surface. and cut into 4 equal pieces. Form each one into a round ball, here is a video of the correct technique:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-8xEpX47Yc

Place them on a tray, cover with cling film and put in the fridge for 1 hour.

When ready to make your pizza, take a dough ball and lightly press it down with your fingers starting in the center, working your way to the edges leaving a thicker outer edge. Gently stretch the dough out with your palms until you have a thin base. What ever you do, do NOT use a rolling pin ! If you do you just squeeze all the air out of the dough that the yeast spent an 1 and 30 mins developing.

Top with your choice of toppings. Try to keep the toppings light and not use too much sauce, otherwise the dough wont rise when baking. For best results bake it on a pizza stone at the highest temperature in the oven. The hotter the better. I dont time my pizza, i just wait until the crust is golden, usually under 12 mins.

I recently started experimenting with baking it in my gas bbq which goes up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit and got amazing results.

Fab thanks so much! Will deffo try this next time! Yes the pizza was yummy but just too heavy for my tastes.

And I just noticed the grammar and spelling in my previous post - gosh between autocorrect and extreme fatigue my post was a mess! Soz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I don't be doing with celery or blue cheese dip.

Any chance of the recipe (the baked version of course), please.

Any chance of the recipe (the baked version of course), please.

Sure;)

Having tried various methods involving bread soda, salt, oil, milk powder the baking method I've settled on couldn't be simpler:

Joint the wings into 3 pieces and discard the tips (I freeze them for stock). Lay out the other pieces on a rack in a roasting tray (leaving a little space between each one - don't crowd them, really!) and put in the fridge to dry out for a few hours.
    You can leave the drying stage out but they wont be as crispy.

To bake, simply pre heat your oven as hot as it will go and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, turning each piece half way through.

The sauce:
    A slight variation on the classic. I grate a small onion and cook this gently in a good lump butter for around 5 minutes. Then I add the same amount of franks hot sauce, a half a teaspoon of tamarind extract and a half a teaspoon of sugar and let it simmer for a few minutes.

Toss the wings in the sauce.

Omelette for me this evening
    Chorizo,spring onion mushroom cheddar and some Danish blue cheese..
    Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Slow cooked beef from cooking club Week 15. Gorgeous beef-Bbq sauce was a bit acidic though so I will reduce the vinegar by 1/2 the next time. Fried new cabbage was lovely as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight we had rib eye steak with stir fired kale with chilli and garlic and also with chipotle hasselback sweet potato.

205917ad-f2be-49cf-9452-114ec0e2e5f9_zps605e0537.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement