Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

First time making but definitely not the last; Lime & coconut chicken curry with basmati rice (cooked in chicken & garlic) stock.

Simple to make and doesn't require a world of spices!

7FCA2971-7080-4B90-91ED-4A508174824B_zpsz8tg6y4a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

jordata wrote: »
    Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef in our house last night, with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested:
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef.html

This is in my slow cooker for tonight. Planning to eat it with rice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Monkfish in a creamy white wine, mushroom and parsley sauce, with rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Should work fine in a slow cooker but I would brown the tail well first and maybe reduce the liquid.
    It's a very simple dish.

In the slow cooker as we speak.
    I learned the hard way re: less liquid when I first made chilli con soup, so yeah the liquid is only about 2/3 covering the meat.

Should be ready by the time I get off work; will probably be half-eaten too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Tonight we had rib eye steak with stir fired kale with chilli and garlic and also with chipotle hasselback sweet potato.

Good grief, that's some fine looking hasselback!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

We had gai pad krapow AKA thai basil chicken for the third time in a week, all because because I came across several pots of thai basil in aldi :o

I seriously cannot overemphasize how delicious and simple it is, I have no picture of my own since it always seems to get eaten before I find my camera, but this is almost exactly how mine looks:

AjUljJDl.jpg

http://rasamalaysia.com/thai-basil-chicken-recipe-gai-pad-krapow/2/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight was a bit of a mix and match had chicken cooked in the oven with philadelphia mixed with red pesto and basil, then asparagus pan fried with butter, olive oil, garlic, black pepper and salt and threw in some chilli paste at the last minute.

Despite the asparagus getting a bit burnt and looking crap :(:o, it still actually tasted delicious.

374ee471-5956-43c5-9305-e80e08b06520_zpsc12f6b22.jpg

The slow cooker Mongolian beef was a complete taste sensation. Every mouthful devoured!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Not last night but on Tuesday we had Pan-Fried Rainbow Trout marinaded in Lemon, Garlic and Dill with Pea and Lemon risotto and Parmesan Crisp and sugarsnap peas.

307200.jpg

Tonight I'm on my own, recovering from a root canal and I couldn't be bothered to cook anything, so dinner consisted of the soggy remnants of a Rancheros sharing bag and an effervescent vitamin C. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

A very, very uninspired looking photo of a very, very tasty piece of chicken with creamy butternut all around it :-)

5F4ABB5443EE471E8297F15D61E0A549-0000353053-0003566735-00800L-D61737CC4181469CB2FF514E4F00429E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jasnah

Tartare with chips, a cheese platter and some red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Our family favourite chili con carne with rice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

8 course Tasting menu at Cliff House. It was the best(and biggest) meal I've ever had!

The amuse bouche was lovely. Could have eaten 20 of the beetroot and goats cheese macaroon.

Roesy wrote: »
    8 course Tasting menu at Cliff House. It was the best(and biggest) meal I've ever had!

The amuse bouche was lovely. Could have eaten 20 of the beetroot and goats cheese macaroon.

The presentation of those macaroons is superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

tmc86 wrote: »
    The presentation of those macaroons is superb!

The presentation in General was fantastic. Those were little clay baked potatoes with squid ink mayonnaise. The two pictures were of the amuse bouche alone and while I enjoyed the asparagus panna cotta and the ham marshmallow, the macaroon was definitely our favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Roesy wrote: »
    The presentation in General was fantastic. Those were little clay baked potatoes with squid ink mayonnaise. The two pictures were of the amuse bouche alone and while I enjoyed the asparagus panna cotta and the ham marshmallow, the macaroon was definitely our favourite.

*adds Cliff House to The List*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

*adds Cliff House to The List*

+100% on that, went a couple fo years ago and the food was fantastic
    we were late getting there and couldn't do the tasting menu :( but what we did have was absolutely fantastic and there were amuse bouchee's and plate clensers and macroons in between our 3 courses.. it was sooo sooo good... only complaint from ms brinty was there wasn't any spuds... until i said ye don't get that with michelin starred places...

We're trying to decide which tasting menu and michelin star place to go to next... any recommendations/experiences would be encouraged..

I also note many of the regular contributors on here seem to do dinners/meals in slow cookers. I know we're all under time pressures these days and they can be a great help but i'm unsure about taking the dip on this. Any idea's folks, is it worth the investment and whats he best to go for (i.e. tesco's best to try them which i've no problem doing or a brand name)

brinty wrote: »
    We're trying to decide which tasting menu and michelin star place to go to next... any recommendations/experiences would be encouraged..

Not Michellin starred but still better than some starred restaurants that I've eaten at;

Forrest Avenue in Dublin - wouldn't be surprised if it picked up a star in a year or so.

Greenhouse - Dawson Street, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

brinty wrote: »

Gregan's Castle, Ballyvaughn, Co. Clare.
    The Old Convent, Clogheen, Co. Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried haddock, mango and mint salsa, Thai white rice.
    I love this simple combination so much!
    DSC02607.jpg
    téléchargement de photos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chloebeag wrote: »
    Our family favourite chili con carne with rice

You've gone over 50 posts now so you can post photos :)

Last night we had jambalaya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had a large bowl of nettle and leek soup. It was meant to be a starter but was so filling I had no room for main. It was really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jasnah wrote: »
    Tartare with chips, a cheese platter and some red wine.

Steak tartare? If so, where did you get your meat & did you add any spices, brandy, etc?

Friday night. A few nice beers downtown and then home for home-made pizzas with sourdough base.

33c81ab.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

First BBQ of the season!

2767A1B7260441A79BA8339EF6382471-0000353053-0003567266-00800L-16F15711236E4CC98628E1CC8D707523.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Gregan's Castle, Ballyvaughn, Co. Clare.
    The Old Convent, Clogheen, Co. Tipperary.

+1 for the old convent - absolutely divine tasting menu!!!

37D561EC-06AF-4A7D-AA42-D4D757D81AE2_zps25yhgjre.jpg

Left over chili with baked potatoes, coleslaw and corn on the cob with a big lump of butter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yay Chloebeag you can post pics now!

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yay Chloebeag you can post pics now!

Haha. I'm no great photographer and my presentation skills aren't the best with the food either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

image.jpg

Had BBQ Salmon with dill, lemon and garlic. Pork tenderloin marinated in lemon grass, chilli, garlic and olive oil. Baby potato salad with spring onion and bacon. Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon and chilli dressing for the salmon. BBQ roasted peppers stuffed with couscous, olives, cherry tomatoes, fresh oregano and topped with feta cheese.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement