Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mexican bean soup as inspired by dip dip earlier in the week
    Yummy yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Overflow wrote: »
    Pork tenderloin marinated in lemon grass, chilli, garlic and olive oil.

That looks beautiful...but worryingly raw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

dipdip wrote: »
    That looks beautiful...but worryingly raw?

Not at all :) it was medium rare, took the photo on my iPhone, think the colour saturation is too high. Pork tenderloin is perfectly fine to eat like this, although it seems a lot of people have a fear of eating it cooked this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Saturday night dinner of crispy brown things and obligatory vegetable-but-softcore-vegetable. Roast baby potatoes in roast garlic, parmasen & red wine vinegar. Quorn chicken burger (surprisingly good!), quorn kiev bites (initially thought 'Hmm, these are *interesting*, now have stopped lying to myself, they are effing awful. Can't put my finger on what the centre tastes like but it's somewhere along the lines of hot margarine and dried parsley) and peas.

ADB1EBD4-F4D6-48A9-85A0-DC371B6B3C42_zpshapsg5mq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Saturday night dinner of crispy brown things and obligatory vegetable-but-softcore-vegetable. Roast baby potatoes in roast garlic, paremsan & red wine vinegar. Quorn chicken burger (surprisingly good!), quorn kiev bites (initially thought 'Hmm, these are *interesting*, now have stopped lying to myself, they are effing awful. Can't put my finger on what the centre tastes like but it's somewhere along the lines of hot margarine and dried parsley) and peas.

Poor MissFlitworth...come over to mine, I've got Frank's RedHot covered chicken wings and I've got wine. Lots of wine.

• Advertisement

<puts coat on>

Wine might have made them more tolerable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A sort of hashed together bolognese with lots of veg and hereford mince.
    Udon noodles cooked with peas instead of spaghetti :o

uF8GIkel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Friday. Obscenely large free range pork chop done on the gas BBQ/grill. Fried onion, garlic, thyme, sherry vinegar and olive oil. Sautéed potatoes.

It was the first meal from the new piggy. Superb meat.
    Don't worry, we didn't finish the chops and had a big plate of dressed green salad after.

DSC02608.jpg
    téléchargement de photos

Last night. Very simple plain dinner of rare striploin, Thai rice, wilted spinach, raw tomatoes.

DSC02611.jpg
    hébergeur images

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just took a nice juicy chicken out of the oven with loads of lovely juices. I'll let it cook and I'm going to strip it tonight and make a nice big batch of Jambalaya! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I must be a normal BMI'er but with voracious metabolism, but when I look at all these photos my first though is always, "well that looks starter sized, where's the main course?"

Well, what you see in our pics isn't necessarily all we eat. There's usually second helpings :D
    For example, with that pork chop, we didn't finish the chops (they were thick and big) but we both had more potato than in the pic and a big plate of salad leaves too.
    When we have chicken thighs, I usually put one on the plate but he generally eat 1 1/2 to 2 thighs each.

Personally, I hate a plate with too much food on it - it puts me off and I can lose my appetite. I see no reason for everything you might possibly eat being on the plate at the same time. This reduces waste too.

But having said all that there is the odd pic here where huge size of the portioning horrifies me.:eek:

Roast pork (overcooked - damn you oven/total misjudgement of times!), champ & gravy made from the apples and onions the pork sat over while it roasted mixed with some dijon. Followed by an aldi sugar waffle.

45A3495C-84ED-49F1-8DD1-4BB9D770620A_zpszlriiar0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Winner winner chicken dinner

10703D25-E276-4210-8E6E-0BFFCF24DEB0_zps8ti00gkz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Had Sunday lunch in Neven McGuire's place in Blacklion today.
    Superb value at 39euro for 3 courses, plus 2 amuse bouches.
    Had celeriac foamy soup as 1st ab, hake for starter, passionfruit mousse with yougurt as 2nd ab, venison rump and braised shoulder for main and a very, very fine chocolate and peanut tart for dessert.
    I didn't take any photos as the family would have been disgusted - have a strict no phones at the table rule.
    Definitely will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was BBQ burgers for Mrs B & The Kids, while I had a lamb steak. Grilled corn on the cob & spicy wedges on the side.

Popped over to my sister's today only to be treated to another massive barbie. Home now & contemplating a wee toasted cheese & tomato sambo
    & a cuppa for supper.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fat laura

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Had Sunday lunch in Neven McGuire's place in Blacklion today.
    Superb value at 39euro for 3 courses, plus 2 amuse bouches.
    Had celeriac foamy soup as 1st ab, hake for starter, passionfruit mousse with yougurt as 2nd ab, venison rump and braised shoulder for main and a very, very fine chocolate and peanut tart for dessert.
    I didn't take any photos as the family would have been disgusted - have a strict no phones at the table rule.
    Definitely will be back!

I am going to Nevens at the end of June with my Husband and I am so excited!! This all sounds delicious :pac:

Did eventually get to eat the lentil and sausage soup that I was blathering about in the cooking chat thread. God it was good. I made 8 portions in the hope of having some for lunch next week but everybody went for seconds consarnit! I could take a bath in that stuff.

No pictures: think yellowy sludge. Delicious, yellowy sludge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Last night I had leftover cuttlefish stew I had in the freezer, when I put it in the saucepan to reheat, it seemed a bit small, so I added another tin of tomatoes and some broad beans to fill it out. Very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Last night we had home made buttermilk fried chicken, marinaded in buttermilk and paprika for 48 hours and coated and then fried for 35 mins in a cast iron skillet.

307616.jpg

Served them with these battered cripsy potato things we got in M&S, home made slaw (yogurt based as himself can't stand mayo), boiled baby rooster potatoes, gravy and buttered mini corn on the cob.

307618.jpg

For afters the OH made a sublimely tart apple and raspberry crumble, which I proceeded to slather in custard. Bliss!

307617.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

On Saturday evening I made a carbonara with smoked bacon instead of pancetta and some garlic ciabatta on the side.

0EDCB29C-C3AD-483D-9451-68C21CF6DC2D_zpsbr9gzmfp.jpg

Saturday night's antics combined with yesterdays weather resulted in a delicious comfort meal. I went to a great deal of effort whipping up some mash & peas and taking a Zanna's homemade pie (steak & Guinness) out of the oven!

311183B1-4D80-4DF6-9CFE-F5D3A0F90F93_zpsfvcqeo3a.jpg

had a repeat of a dinner from a couple of weeks ago.
    Pan fried duck breast. Redcurrant and soy dressing. Pickled ginger, garlic, radish, carrot and beetroot. Pak choi with ginger. Japanese rice.

I did the duck without turning it again - skin side down in the pan and continually spooning the fat over it. I'll never cook a duck breast another way again!

DSC02627.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A big thick burger with onions, roasted baby potatoes and stuffed mushrooms. It was so nice, I'd eat it all again tomorrow :)

jfw6xi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Starter tonight was mushroom pizzas stuffed with pepper, tomato, onion, bacon bits and cheese

14037289258_0c18f837b9_c.jpg2014-05-19 18.17.26 by Oregato, on Flickr

Then the mains was grilled lamb with asparagus, fried onion and baked potato

14221594582_3760a52c5c_c.jpg2014-05-19 18.15.28 by Oregato, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight was another 'throw it altogether and hope for the best' kinda dinner. Baked salmon fillet with fusilli, cream, parmesan, white wine, black pepper and parsley.

Totally worth not getting a chance to eat lunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Went Mexican tonight - Carne Mole Burrito(Steak marinated in taco spices, Rice, Jack Cheese, salsa, sour cream, bit of lime, tortillas and mole sauce):

10303178_618024764963182_1869192199898472339_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Reindeer wrote: »
    Went Mexican tonight - Carne Mole Burrito(Steak marinated in taco spices, Rice, Jack Cheese, salsa, sour cream, bit of lime, tortillas and mole sauce):

That looks really professional. Where did you get the Jack cheese? (I assume you're referring to Monteray Jack cheese?)

Had slow cooker chilli that we prepped this morning before work.

Came home to it after a day at work and a few lengths at the pool - ravenous! It was manna. No time for photos. Too busy shovelling our faces. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

4 slices of pepperoni pizza ands handful of wedges :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

fussyonion wrote: »
    That looks really professional. Where did you get the Jack cheese? (I assume you're referring to Monteray Jack cheese?)

You can't. I mix gouda with mozarella. It's not as subtle and creamy as jack cheese, and is lacking that milky hint of tang jack has(for lack of a better description), but it works as a substitute. Also mild cheddar and mozzarella mixed work OK. Most European cheeses over power Mexican food. Jack is the perfect complement, but is just impossible to find here. I just wish I had Mexican cilantro(coriander) and some onions. I forgot to get those. Not quite the same without them.

It looks professional because I just copy all the Mexican restaurants I have been to in the States. Mexican food is very simple, with a very common set of ingredients. It's the time you put into making the food that is the difficult part. If you spend an hour making dinner, or marinade the meat over night, why not make it look nice? That's two entire 8" tortillas, BTW. That's a big sucker. Iced sweet tea on the side, to boot. So, that's sort of a Tex Mex meal I had there. Still hurting form it. The Greyhound had about 1/3 of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement