Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Last night we had home made buttermilk fried chicken, marinaded in buttermilk and paprika for 48 hours and coated and then fried for 35 mins in a cast iron skillet.

[IMG][/IMG]

Served them with these battered cripsy potato things we got in M&S, home made slaw (yogurt based as himself can't stand mayo), boiled baby rooster potatoes, gravy and buttered mini corn on the cob.

[IMG][/IMG]

For afters the OH made a sublimely tart apple and raspberry crumble, which I proceeded to slather in custard. Bliss!

[IMG][/IMG]

It's kindof late at night but your post is so enthusiastic and the food looks so great that my inner voice was all super-excited and talking in italics with a posh accent and breathless stops. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had beef stirfry with noodles.
    The stirfry was lovely apart from the fact that the meat was tough. :(
    I bought fillet steak, so I'm not sure where I went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Overcooked the meat, I'd say.
    If I was doing a stirfry with fillet I'd sear the meat while in one piece then slice it and just pop it in the stirfry at the end to warm it through.

Overcooked the meat, I'd say.
    If I was doing a stirfry with fillet I'd sear the meat while in one piece then slice it and just pop it in the stirfry at the end to warm it through.
    Thanks beer! :) I'd say that was it. I was disappointed because the rest of the flavours were very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I've bought Monterey Jack quite recently in Marks & Spencer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just to add on to the beer revolu's suggestion, if you ever have to use beef that is much tougher than fillet, like round steak or the like, you can make it tender and delicious if you slice it thinly and then sprinkle on a little bread soda (maybe a teaspoonful per pound or less). Then you toss the meat so that it is fully coated and let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse off the bread soda and marinade or just cook as you usually would. It gives it a lovely smooth texture and is called "velveting". It works really well on chicken breast too. :)

Also while I've never had a problem with the bread soda leaving a nasty taste, some people have and they recommend adding a little vinegar to the rinsing water to make sure all the bread soda is definitely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Paid a ball of motor tax this month on my diesel monster so it's cheap as chips/cupboard-clearing dinners for the next few days for me. Probably not a bad thing at all - I haven't been very imaginative with my meals lately so no harm to have to think about it!

Last night I fried some diced chicken in a bit of coconut oil, then threw in some green pesto and some feta, and served with whole grain penne. Lovely and salty and very satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Grilled pork chop last night which I prepped with a mixed rub. Sauteed leeks and shallots, peas and goose fat roasties. Didn't bother with a gravy/sauce as the leeks were nice and buttery.

A9FFE1C9-80CA-4524-9869-8F905A74C586_zpsuz23pni5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night we had lamb chops, baby potatoes done in the oven in olive oil and dried herbs/spices. I also chopped a tomato and some red onion and fried that in the pan in the lamb juices for a minute or two. Really delicious and satisfying meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I've bought Monterey Jack quite recently in Marks & Spencer

Was it much like the American type? I have had it in England, and it was nothing like what I have had in Texas and California. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Made some 'healthy' apple and blackcurrant muffins made with oats, wholemeal flour, they are nice, a little dry but had one for brekkie and it was nice enough.

IMG_1869.JPG

Then for dinner we had some medium striploins with oven chips, coleslaw and big salad. Was a bit heavy handed on the feta but cheese is my weakness :pac:

IMG_1870.JPG

Sorry i don't know how to make the pictures smaller, if anyone can help it would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Kurumba wrote: »
    Made some 'healthy' apple and blackcurrant muffins made with oats, wholemeal flour, they are nice, a little dry but had one for brekkie and it was nice enough.

Then for dinner we had some medium striploins with oven chips, coleslaw and big salad. Was a bit heavy handed on the feta but cheese is my weakness :pac:

Sorry i don't know how to make the pictures smaller, if anyone can help it would be appreciated!

Oh thats a lovely looking dinner...
    Cheese being a weakness is nothing to be ashamed off..
    Nothing like some nice cheese
    Only problem in our house is the dog loves his cheese too and isn't happy unless he gets a nibble, but his reactions are priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dinner was fried catfish coated with turmeric, then cooked in dry super spicy sambal. With steamed okra, and jasmine rice. Washed down with ice cold Ribena toothkind.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Spaghetti with homemade bolognaise. Garlic bread. Yum.

9D4F7D50-FA34-427E-A20A-031137E94B88_zpsn016hvwe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Roast pork tenderloin with apple and onion gravy, pickled cabbage, baby roasties and brocolli.

9C02D591-13DE-47C5-BE14-F3BF90769037_zpslgnnfs3u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Prawn and cashew nut curry with garlic and coriander naan.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Roast pork tenderloin with apple and onion gravy, pickled cabbage, baby roasties and brocolli.

That looks absolutely gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

tmc86 wrote: »
    Grilled pork chop last night which I prepped with a mixed rub. Sauteed leeks and shallots, peas and goose fat roasties. Didn't bother with a gravy/sauce as the leeks were nice and buttery.

Your dinner looks delicous, but your roasties look absolutely amazing, nomnom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Makood wrote: »
    That looks absolutely gorgeous.

It was! :)

Here's the recipe for the pork. It was melt-in-the-mouth tender.

http://www.inspiredtaste.net/21117/perfect-roasted-pork-tenderloin-recipe-with-apples/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had a slow cooked Mongolian beef tonight. Added a can of chopped tomatoes to the pot, with a pepper, and a punnet of mushrooms to the recipe from the shortcut list. Beautiful. The kids asked for seconds. Enough said.

8EDFFA6D3C1741AF9E14A78E398622DF-0000324795-0003569955-00800L-51679C88332841F6A751C1AE48407C48.jpg

• Advertisement

Chickpea and spinach curry, lovely. We had it with the mango chutney I made a few weeks ago, which is a lot less spicy than it seemed when I first made it, it seems to have mellowed! Very nice.

I've been having unusual pasta cravings of late so last night I made grilled salmon farfalle pasta. The sauce was a blended rocket and cream sauce with peas and chive and a sprinkle of pecorino. Served with some garlic ciabatta.

Craving satisfied.

C5C18720-D3EC-49DB-91F6-BB977897383E_zpsd6ymtqis.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Blended rocket and cream sauce? Tell me more about that!

Faith wrote: »
    Blended rocket and cream sauce? Tell me more about that!

I just put a good handful of rocket into a blender with about 2-3 tblsp of the pasta water and some cream (judged this to ensure it was thick enough when combined with the water). Bit of cracked pepper and salt and whizz it up!

I added this back to the cooked pasta and flaked salmon, cooked peas and chive. On a low heat I just warmed it back up.

Note: I was making this for two (one dinner & one lunch) so adjust rocket, cream & water accordingly!

That sounds like a brilliant and tasty way to improve the vegetable content of a meal! Going to try it tonight with meatballs, and add fried chestnut mushrooms after the blending stage too.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Monday was lamb tagine from the cooking club ('cept I used beef :D)

image.jpg

And last night was curry and I used left over roast chicken and I made some spicy roast potatoes

image.jpg

I eff'd up what could have been a fabulous dinner tonight :(. I made pork and beef meatballs, in a creamy mushroom and rocket* sauce, served with brown rice. Unfortunately, I used a beef Oxo cube for the base of the sauce and it was unpalatably salty :(. We resolutely soldiered through half of it and then gave up. It would have been fine if I'd just made my normal fatso cream sauce - damn you being healthy!

*thanks tmc86!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Fresh out of the ocean - dredged some razors yesterday when I was working in Clifden.....
    307966.jpg

Steamed some with wine, garlic & chilli and used remaining juice to make a light sauce by adding a small bit of cream and Pernod.

Threw a few on the bbq to see how they'd go - not too bad is the answer (cooked on a low setting and for not very long, then a blast at max heat for a few seconds).

........and it seemed a shame to waste the wine given I had to open it to get some for cooking with:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Today we're having cottage pie.......starting to regret it now given how warm it is outside and how warm the oven is making the kitchen :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Sweet potato fries, pan fried cod fillet and peas.

Then a puff pastry cone with stewed apples and cream.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement