Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

A packet of Keogh's Shamrock and Sour Cream crisps. The big one. By myself. And I licked the packet to ensure I got all the shamrock bits.
    And a multivitamin as I need some real nutrition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A green curry that tasted suspiciously like knorr chicken soup with a bit of chili in. Nearly positive that if I'd managed to nip into the kitchen the chef would have been standing over one of these looking guilty

1211697960937.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Poppadoms with raita and mango chutney. Pea, potato and spinach samosas. Onion bhajis. Spiced vegetable biriyani made with this recipe and some naan. Lemon tart and cream for dessert. Lots of wine. Good chums. Nice night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Freezer surprise last night. Turned out to be spicy Thai chicken soup. Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I played a full round of golf with my Dad after work yesterday in the glorious sunshine we had. I played really well and to top if off we both had unbelievably massive burgers in the clubhouse afterwards....they were soo yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Jawgap wrote: »
    Fresh out of the ocean - dredged some razors yesterday when I was working in Clifden.....

Steamed some with wine, garlic & chilli and used remaining juice to make a light sauce by adding a small bit of cream and Pernod.

Threw a few on the bbq to see how they'd go - not too bad is the answer (cooked on a low setting and for not very long, then a blast at max heat for a few seconds).

........and it seemed a shame to waste the wine given I had to open it to get some for cooking with:D

Ooooooooooh. I've never had razors, though I see them all the time. Are they basically just extra-lengthy white clams that I am a tit for not buying before now? Do they need any particular prepping or can I just throw them on to steam after washing them? My only experience with them to date, despite being a massive shellfish lover, is having my foot sliced open on the beach aged nine :D I'd like my revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Buttermilk baked chicken drumsticks, baby roasties (again) and red cabbage slaw. Finger lickin' good! :)

6D82B4EB-CC8F-4ED8-9810-9457966A9006_zpsmvsux9nb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Pan Fried Ling with a Chorizo, Kale and Aldi "Mixed Beans" Stew. Very, very nice.

2014-05-22192721.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Buttermilk baked chicken drumsticks, baby roasties (again) and red cabbage slaw. Finger lickin' good! :)
    I've just had a dirty big steak for dinner, but seeing that has me salivating again. Lecker!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gloomtastic, can I have your slaw recipe please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Faith wrote: »
    Gloomtastic, can I have your slaw recipe please?

Red cabbage shredded. Carrot grated. Celery thinly sliced. Tsp chilli flakes. Dash of balsamic, dollop of mayo, salt and pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Almond & lentil stew. Surprisingly good. Though I wasn't wild on the cinnamon so subbed chilli flakes for it. Cheap as chips; possibly cheaper in fact.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/almond_lentil_stew_69086

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

We had mongolian beef again, with rice. It was yum.

I've had rice for several days in a row now. Bushtin' for a nice shpud. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Pizza for us tonight, I am just in no humour to cook today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Wowsers, there's been some amazing dinners here lately! I want to reach into the computer and eat them :D I'm just settling back to normality after a week travelling in America for work (hello, corporate dinners! :D) and the thread is really motivating me to get back into the kitchen.

Daning noodle take-away with prawn crackers from Saba to celebrate nearly getting to the end of a long week. It was delicious and totally perked me up. I haven't had Saba in ages, but I definitely won't make that mistake again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've been making chinese beef with broccoli a good bit for the last while since a few of the supermarkets have been doing deals on both beef and broccoli:

Using this recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-and-broccoli-recipe/2/

Its really really good - I tend to make the same basic recipe listed for 4 as part of a multicourse but for two with less beef and more broccoli and the same amount of marinade and sauce.

It is so so good despite being so simple, but I would say that getting good oyster sauce is very important; I use this one -

http://tramaekrua.com/tra-mae-krua-oyster-sauce/?lang=en

It is 30% oyster extract compared to as little as 0.3% in thai gold brand for example, and only 3 quid for 600ml in the local chinese supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Butchers burgers, buns, lettuce, tomato, onion, cheddar, red sauce and mayo. Oven chips. :)
    42B69ED7-86D9-4C90-961C-EA5CE4D51B5E_zpst6g6sezx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mediterranean stuffed peppers. Very tasty and pretty healthy too.
    (We're trying to reduce our meat intake so I'm testing new vegetarian recipes)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Some meals from the week:

Meal one was chicken and vegetable stifry:

1eugs9.jpg

Then we had sole goujons with baby potatoes and salad:

2dqmy38.jpg

And then home made meatballs in home-made tomato sauce with spaghetti:

2058rb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The rest of my clan had left over stew from the day before but there was not enough for all of us so I had a quick and easy but tasty salmon salad. The salad leaves had a hint of Newmans Caesar Dressing (all profits go to charity) and the cherry tomato, cucumber, spring onion mix had a hint of sweet chilli sauce and some salmon on top.
    swg2ed.jpg

No one else in the house likes salmon so I used the rest on 50/50 wholemeal bread, courtesy of the bread maker, for breakfast.
    2lnzeoh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

9tVuUJch.jpg

Chilli & garlic marinated duck breast- cooked a la 'the beer revolu' aka skin side down and spooning the fat over it. I love my meat shockingly rare so it was un-be-lievable. Ever so tender.
    Just on a small mixed leaf salad with red onion, red/orange peppers and mange tout flash fried in the duck fat while that was resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

.Kovu. wrote: »

Chilli & garlic marinated duck breast- cooked a la 'the beer revolu' aka skin side down and spooning the fat over it. I love my meat shockingly rare so it was un-be-lievable. Ever so tender.
    Just on a small mixed leaf salad with red onion, red/orange peppers and mange tout flash fried in the duck fat while that was resting.

It really is the best cooking tip I've been given in ages. Would work just as well for a breast cooked medium too.
    I won't discuss duck breast cooked any more than pink!

Seabass with salad leaves, olives, butter bean salad and cherry tomatoes. The seabass was all crunchy and salty - delicious! (excuse the bit missing from his tail where I picked him up and it fell off...)

fishy.jpg

And....I just found this on my photobucket - I made it years ago as a present for someone - there were 12 of them I think. I had forgotten all about it. It was chocolate cake filled with chocolate Italian Meringue butter cream.... I feel some baking coming on!

PlantPot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I love my meat shockingly rare so it was un-be-lievable.

Any more rare than that the bird will fly off the plate back into the pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Any more rare than that the bird will fly off the plate back into the pond.

I know! You should see my steaks.....:eek:
    However, it does mean no one ever asks for a piece so more for .Kovu. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

A Russian/Ukrainian dessert-Сырники or as the landlady translates-Cottage cheese pancakes

Why can't I post pictures here only links?

Are you using the correct button? The picture one not the link one.

308249.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That looks amazing, herself can't have any rare meet these days though everything has to be cooked all the way trough hurry up baby and come out :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Last night we had home made pork burgers on a whole grain bun with my favorite and easiest side ever wilted spinach cooked in garlic with orange and yellow peppers.

58389a1a-b85b-4777-b188-dd8c3d13520d_zps6d3ead84.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That looks amazing, herself can't have any rare meet these days though everything has to be cooked all the way trough hurry up baby and come out :pac:.

Try telling a pregnant French woman that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement