Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

My mum brought home a packet of ham yesterday, I went looking for it there now, and another relative announced they put it in the freezer because it is "perfectly OK to freeze, it even says it on the packet", I go and check, lo and behold, what does it say "keep refrigerated between 0-4°C"

Maybe I'm alone, but I've never heard of anyone freezing packaged cooked ham.

That's money and good food gone to waste.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Why is it wasted? :confused: Just put it in the fridge again.

Faith wrote: »
    Why is it wasted? :confused: Just put it in the fridge again.
    Its completely frozen and after doing some looking around online, its apparently hit or miss whether or not its safe to freeze prepackaged ham, and I'd rather not risk getting food poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Ok we're not allowed to talk about food safety here, but I freeze cooked meat and then defrosting it to eat is absolutely the norm. I do it all the time with leftovers.

dipdip wrote: »
    Ok we're not allowed to talk about food safety here, but I freeze cooked meat and then defrosting it to eat is absolutely the norm. I do it all the time with leftovers.
    Is this meat you cook yourself or prepackaged meat?

I often makes stews, soups, cottage pie and when its cold I freeze it - and that's fine, however according to various different websites I've looked at, that's different from freezing prepackaged meats (ham, chicken, turkey etc) the prepackaged meats aren't always safe to freeze, and if they are suitable for freezing it says on the packet, otherwise, its not safe.

That said, I have never frozen prepackaged meat and this is the first time its happened, and as I said above, food poisoning isn't something I'm willing to risk getting just for a few slices of ham.

As food safety isn't allowed on this forum, this is my last post on the suitability of freezing prepackaged meats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Marinated pork steak with watercress salad & French dressing. Marinade was way too salty. Bugger!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had no dinner as I'm about to do some barbecue-marinated chicken wings and some Frank's wings.
    Stand by for a pic in ooh, about an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yes I'm still standing by......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had a dinner party last night. We had timed everything to a ridiculous level of detail and everything went swimmingly... no disasters at all! We went for an Italian menu. Sorry for bad pics!

Starter was gnocchi with thyme butter. Lots of garlic, parmesan and cracked black pepper. We put dinky little thyme flowers in the middle because they're all over our thyme plant; very tasty addition!

gnocchi_zps5703a00a.jpg

For mains we had rack of lamb cooked in pistachio paste and pancetta, with a pistachio pesto on the side (it was an El Bulli recipe). Steamed asparagus, spring onions flash fried in lamb fat, potato gratin with lots of gruyere.

lamb_zps4b1b29f4.jpg

To finish I had made a lemon tart and a friend brought a lemon cake. I went full out ponce and spent some time decorating slate plates with icing sugar.

cake_zpsb7a0f839.jpg

Final course was a round of ice-cold espresso martinis, followed by some bad action movies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Grilled then blended and seasoned two chicken breasts and fried some chorizo and onion in sherry (and some tomato for 2 mins at the end). Mixed the chicken breasts with penne so it clung to it, and mixed some brie into the chorizo. Topped with a tiny bit of parmesan and some more brie. Because brie, damn it!

i41x01.jpg

15ffz48.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last night we had pesto and hazelnut crusted hake, pan fried and finished in the oven, served with roasted garlic baby potatoes, lightly steamed petit pois and garlic butter. Delicious, and definitely going to be a regular recipe in our house from now on!

3XtuXCFl.jpg?1

(Apologies for the picture, I'd already started eating when I remembered to take one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

God, i'm not sure how my dinner was so tasty today. All the flavours just seemed to go really well together.

Stir-fry. Garlic, chillies, chickpeas, courgette, broccoli, red onion and egg noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I haven't forgotten about the photo of the chicken wings..my camera's on charge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Did something I have never done before- marinated strip lion steak.

Onion, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and some oil (didn't have any sesame oil, so just used regular vegetable oil). Blended it all up into a paste and added some chopped scallions. Left it marinating for about 2-3 hours and then grilled it.

A revelation.

Myself and herself couldn't get over the flavours and the tenderness of the steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Pizza oops forgot to attach pic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I'll throw up pics in the morning but for the moment ye'll just have to take my word for how pleased I am with my first attempt at low and slow BBQing, the smell wafting around the estate since 10 o clock this morning is incredible (I hope the neighbours aren't vegetarians :-D)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I made quorn bolognese. It was delicious but I had to abandon it- I'm worse than a child, it's on my clothes, in my hair, it's on the couch... Jesus wept

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Homemade pizza with mushroom, pepper, ham, chorizo and mozzarella. It was AMAZING :D want more. Must resist. Why resist? Totally having more :D

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I made the slow cooker Mongolian beef from a few pages back. This is literally the first time I managed to make something in the slow cooker that wasn't flavourless so massive thanks to whoever posted it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

On Friday night I ordered Diep at Home as a payday treat, and oh, what a treat it was.

I got the Going Hom Pha (deliciously fresh tiger prawns wrapped in a lovely crispy pastry along with some other tasty things that I can't remember) and a sweet chilli dip, and for main, the Nasi Goreng which came with a perfectly fried egg on top and chicken skewer with satay sauce. Dear lawd, twas good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Chicken, veg and rice in Patak's Oven Bake Biryani. Really good, thank God, cos it's lunch and dinner for tomorrow as well.

Tonight we had lamb chops, spinach, mashed spuds and cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic and mushrooms fried in the lamb juices. It was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I made quorn bolognese. It was delicious but I had to abandon it- I'm worse than a child, it's on my clothes, in my hair, it's on the couch... Jesus wept

A new low, I found some in my pocket in the pub two hours ago :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

By far the best satay I've ever had. Chicken and mutton skewers with bowls of amazing satay sauce. Pieces of Asian shallot and courgette went along and little parcels of not very nice kind of rice cake.
    We also shared a plate of rojak - a sort of fruit and fried tofu salad in a spicy pungent fermented shrimp sauce with chopped peanuts. . Fantastic, really fantastic.

My first meal in Asia.
    Treated at the Singapore Swimming Club.
    Raging I didn't take a pic.

More will surely follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Last night we had pork steak wrapped in puff pastry with mozzarella with chilli, chives and chorizo, along with sweet potato mash and sauteed asparagus.

8a4d3c69-ab08-4d8d-97ff-5c6fd33131a2_zps352d9651.jpg

For desert the girlfriend made and Oreo based cheesecake

dbdd61b8-25ab-42fb-a8d6-dd2eb0d3b018_zps9f40cbd3.jpg

For tonight I have brisket in the slow cooker as we speak :).

Had lunch half finished before I thought of taking a pic.
    We went to an Indonesian buffet. I had a rice with a chicken leg curry and fried tofu in a spicy red sauce (no pics) then we had squid in a squid ink sauce (very hot) and beef randang (yay took some pics). Really good food and very cheap.

image.jpg[/image.jpg]

I hope people don't mind me using this thread as a holiday food journal with lots of pics.
    After 3 meals,I'm blown away by the food here in Singapore. There is such a melting pot of Asian cultures, it's a real foodie adventure and we are lucky to have local hosts very keen to have us experience the local food.

Tonight we went to a hawker centre - a sort of Chinese food court that's popular with the Chinese locals. We had fresh coconut water from a young coconut with almost no flesh. Beef in black bean sauce with wide,flat noodles. An amazing clay pot fish head soup/stew that had everything you can think of in it. Some sort of dumplings - probably pork and prawn with ginger in black vinegar. Pickled chillies. Outstanding food cooked up in tiny little kitchens and served up at cute little plastic tables in a dingy shopping centre. I loved it!

Being Monday, the centre was quiet with many of the outlets closed but that didn't stop our fantastic foodie host sourcing fantastic food for us to eat.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I hope people don't mind me using this thread as a holiday food journal with lots of pics.
    After 3 meals,I'm blown away by the food here in Singapore. There is such a melting pot of Asian cultures, it is a real foodie adventure.

*waves at beer from across the straits. In malaysia at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

PLEASE use this thread as a holiday food journal with lots of pics! I am *hopefully* going to visit a buddy in Singapore this Summer or early Autumn and your photos are making me so happy at what is ahead of me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement