Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Onions in our garden have beautiful tops on them now, took a bunch of the stronger ones and whizzed them up with a little chilli rapeseed oil, pinenuts, garlic & salt/pepper to make a sort of pesto.
    Bit of cream cheese and cream then stirred through penne with some mangetout
    Omnomnom.

qR9zJSml.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

^^ That pasta looks delicious!

My dinner was very simple; baked salmon with lashings of lemon juice, salt and pepper, garden peas and homemade wedges (with a dollop of Thousand Island). It was also much later than anticipated so I was far too hungry to take a photo :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Treated myself to a new pickle spoon. Really living the high life over this way, oh yes indeed.

69B45C38-093B-4E0D-9547-AB49EDC9B8B3_zpsevbcwkjh.jpg

After 3 days of eating, honestly, nothing but chicken goujons, cake and jelly beans [Thinking of it now, I now know what my life would have been like if I'd gotten my childhood wish to find the Faraway Tree and move into the Land of Birthdays. Constantly nauseous but still shovelling back fistfuls of mini mars bars compulsively] I needed vegetables, nutritious things, protein, green things and things that weren't breadcrumbed. So defrosted some homemade baked beans and added them to fried peppers, quorn chunks, and an egg in a terracotta dish (so I wouldn't have to wash more than one dish) then covered it all in jalapenos and coriander. No more scurvy for me!!

6F0F7123-2D77-4F69-B90E-FE92C4BE55BF_zpseagt5rx2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight we had Brisket and baked sweet potato, used a recipe for a sauce I found on here for bbq ribs and it worked brilliantly in the slow cooker will be using this one again.

eaa1e827-a53a-4185-a10a-6c5fbdd4110b_zps614a2b9d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Tonight we had Brisket and baked sweet potato, used a recipe for a sauce I found on here for bbq ribs and it worked brilliantly in the slow cooker will be using this one again.

Mother of God that looks amaazing. I've said it before but the standard here is soo high. That photo could be uploaded to the Photography forum!!

I made a lasagne with a load of herbs from the garden (oregano, parsley, corriander and sage). Had it last night and it was fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    ^^ That pasta looks delicious!

My dinner was very simple; baked salmon with lashings of lemon juice, salt and pepper, garden peas and homemade wedges (with a dollop of Thousand Island). It was also much later than anticipated so I was far too hungry to take a photo :o

I've actually been finding the joy of strongly flavoured 'simple/base food'.

Few things can beat a big chunk of homemade bread with two fried eggs thrown on top. No salt or pepper, just that :P

The above was my dinner yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Saturday we have a stuffed pork lion with chorizo and bacon stuffing.

Sunday we went out for dinner, we had thai food. I had a bamboo noodle dish with beef as mains, sweetcorn fritters as a starter, too stuffed for desert.

Yesterday, we made a big meal.

Series of appetizers: sun dried tomato and mozzarella picks, jaleneo peppers stuffed with chorizo and cream cheese wrapped in bacon, garlic and chilli prawn skewers

the main was cheesy ham hassleback chicken (chicken fillet, with slices cut horizontally like hassleback potatoes and filled with ham and cheese). Then we had different veg and different style of potatoes (wedges with garlic and paprika seasoning, mashed spuds, roast spuds and croquets)

Dessert was peach cobbler.

So good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Roti Bom (a miniature and crispier version of Roti Canai), with homemade beef curry by my dear sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Long leisurely lunch today. Posh dim sum in The Sheraton Towers. Many familiar dishes to me with a few new things. The big surprise for me was that I liked the egg done three ways - fresh egg, salted egg and century old egg with spinach and the odd aloe Vera with black jelly dessert was strangely nice. The pork and vegetable soup was nice but ordinary. Lots of prawn dumplings and beef brisket noodles too. Overall-another fantastic meal.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not realising we had dim sum for lunch, our lovely hosts brought home more dim sum for a small meal for us-no complaints from me, I love dim sum.
    Char su buns, shui mail, what I know as vada from Iyers in cork but had a different name here and the star of the show - fresh mangosteen and lychees.
    More Chinese with a little Indian via Malaysia. I've still to have a poor meal here :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Advertisement

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I've actually been finding the joy of strongly flavoured 'simple/base food'.

Few things can beat a big chunk of homemade bread with two fried eggs thrown on top. No salt or pepper, just that :P

The above was my dinner yesterday.

My meals are always pretty simple; I rarely cook anything 'fancy' but rather try make the most of simple foods. A lot of that is probably down to having a student budget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Grilled zander fillets dusted with hot paprika, garlic powder, S&P and a drizzle of lemon rapeseed oil.

Steamed broccoli, orange pepper, mangetout and red onion.
    Mish mash sauce of sweet chilli, honey, balsamic & wholegrain mustard.
    Strange but good!

Oh and a cabbage roll as I found a lunchbox of some I made a while ago in the freezer:)

pRDYaF3l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Keeping it simple..nice bitta rump steak, brown basmati and a basic sauce of juices from the pan mixed with some home made garlic butter. Comfort food fora cold rainy day!

308703.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

herisson wrote: »
    Saturday we have a stuffed pork lion with chorizo and bacon stuffing.

I've definitely got to get more dare-ing in the kitchen!!:D (Sounds like a FAB dinner)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Being awhile, love this green egg. Late night bread dipped in oil, brown for the morning. Never thought I'd be baking bread with charcoal

dgyVLZ2l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we had a bacon piece chopped up with mushrooms and onion with Aldi tomato and mascarpone stir through sauce with some fresh cream added. Served with tagliatelle. It was thoroughly delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Chicken salad with garlic bread,

The chicken had been marinating in harissa & yogurt for a few days.........Yum!

IMAG0135_zpsd89734d1.jpg

And so the adventure continues:D
    Hawker centre for lunch again today. I love these places - really great food and very very cheap but there is no snobbish sense of the food being inferior or unclean that you would get at home.

Chicken rice, egg fried oysters and pak choi. Beef noodles with tripe and tendon. Ice kachang - a gaudy dessert of shaved ice, pandan, condensed milk, red beans, sweet corn, lots of sugar and who knows what else.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Loire wrote: »
    Mother of God that looks amaazing. I've said it before but the standard here is soo high. That photo could be uploaded to the Photography forum!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Seriously impressed with everyone ...going to have to up my game ....I'm getting left behind !!

• Advertisement

Smallish take away dinner from the local hawker centre (huge, must have over 100 stalls - I suspect the locals never eat at home, why would they when food is this good and this cheap).
    Satay again but Chinese style this time with much nicer compressed rice cake than the last ones, flat noodles with cockles and sliced fish cake - one with sweet soy sauce and one without.
    Lots of fruit again - mangosteen, papaya and lychees. I think mangosteen is my new favourite fruit:D

Then some very smelly but very tasty beer nibbles - Ikan bilis dried anchovy fried with peanuts and chilli .

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Roasted ratatouille chicken.

d5565f2b-9354-4021-8422-0e20135e38ed_zps52a4a3fe.jpg?t=1401300572

7b4a121c-7913-42b8-b739-034c7023e5d8_zps1088b5ed.jpg?t=1401300551

Well it's called that according to the recipe, but I'm not sure if it's really ratatouille without the fancy arrangement of the veg!

Messy but yum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Big, glutinous toasted steak roll with mushrooms, melted brie and cherry tomatoes on shredded carrot and mixed salad leaves... bit of melted butter underneath of course. Plus some sweet potato mash with asparagus spears and crumbled feta on top (only had a few days left on the feta so threw it on, goes amazingly well with sweet potato, definitely recommend trying it!).

Slightly overcooked the steak since I trough the full roll under the grill for two minutes at the end to melt the cheese and warm/soften the tomatoes but still damn tasty.

20140527_210137.jpg

20140527_210124.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Flat Iron Steak cooked a PERFECT rare, baked spud, half a head of broccoli, a mound of fried mushrooms and onions, pepper cream pan sauce, happy wednesday everyone!

10418228_10152403187631294_5736804840622859920_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Seaneh wrote: »
    Flat Iron Steak cooked a PERFECT rare, baked spud, half a head of broccoli, a mound of fried mushrooms and onions, pepper cream pan sauce, happy wednesday everyone!

I want now

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Roasted ratatouille chicken.

Well it's called that according to the recipe, but I'm not sure if it's really ratatouille without the fancy arrangement of the veg!

Messy but yum. :)

Roastatouille chicken? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Ice kachang - a gaudy dessert of shaved ice, pandan, condensed milk, red beans, sweet corn, lots of sugar and who knows else

You should try Chendol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm starting a book over on the Chat thread on how much weight Beer Revo is going to gain on hols. :)

I'm starting a book over on the Chat thread on how much weight Beer Revo is going to gain on hols. :)

Hopefully none!
    I'm swimming every day and hardly drinking any beer! Good food in moderation shouldn't be an issue - almost no fat people here either.
    Also, most of what I picture is shared between 4.

• Advertisement

I treated himself to Eddie Rockets, he had the chicken tenders basket and I went for the Cajun buffalo wings and fries.

I'm still having post-meal nostalgia :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement