Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Late breakfast at yet another hawker centre.
    Masala dosa (nearly as good as my beloved Iyer's), chewee Kwai (amazing little steamed rice cakes with a radish mince topping and delicious chilli sauce), putu mayan (noodle with sweet coconut and orange sugar).
    Mock soon carrot cake - looks nothing like carrot cake to me either-it was a type of radish cake fried up with egg and other stuff.
    Nam San mackerel oath - lovely looking orange thing in banana leaf but really nasty fishy, mushy stuff - not for me.
    Balonglong juice - planty,salty yumminess.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Late lunch of chilli noodles with fish balls, pork mince and sliced fish cake.
    (Phew, only one pic to upload for this one!)

image.jpg

BTW, if anyone has any questions about any of the food, I'll do my best to answer, or get the amazing foodie Uncle Lionel to answer.:D

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    You should try Chendol.

On the list!
    (Although, desserts aren't really my thing - the kachang wasn't actually mine - I was just tasting). There's lots of sharing going on here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Char Kway Teow, fried flat rice noodles with giant prawns, pickled green chillies, red chilli condiment.

2014-05-28%2019.23.17_zpswlfl4fhh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs Fox and Beer Revo. You're both turning us all green with gastro envy with your trips to the Far East and their culinary delights. However, everything so far has been pretty safe - pork, seafood, chicken etc.
    Your Boards.ie challenge is to eat something that you wouldn't normally eg dog, cat or some part of an animal that you wouldn't find on an Irish Asian menu.
    Are you both up for it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Mrs Fox and Beer Revo. You're both turning us all green with gastro envy with your trips to the Far East and their culinary delights. However, everything so far has been pretty safe - pork, seafood, chicken etc.
    Your Boards.ie challenge is to eat something that you wouldn't normally eg dog, cat or some part of an animal that you wouldn't find on an Irish Asian menu.

Hard to find those on Malaysian menus; plentiful in IndoChina though.
    Although I've heard some parts of Borneo eating fresh monkey brains.

Edit: oh, forgot how famous goat's testicles broth are here. Ok will try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Hard to find those on Malaysian menus; plentiful in IndoChina though.
    Although I've heard some parts of Borneo eating fresh monkey brains.

Edit: oh, forgot how famous goat's testicles broth are here. Ok will try it.

Salty? :pac::D

I guess fish head soup and tripe and tendon just don't cut the mustard!
    There's not much I won't try so we'll see.

Treated to a posh meal tonight. It was very,very good but I couldn't shake off the notion that a family could probably eat well for a month in a hawker centre for the price of the light meal for eight.

Sweet crispy baby squid.
    Sesame fried squid rolls.
    Spinach crust bean curd with mushrooms.
    Cereal prawns.
    Kai lan.
    And the star of the show: Chilli crab - unbelievably good, and messy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tomorrow I get a cooking lesson from Auntie Nancy:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

And the star of the show: Chilli crap - unbelievably good, and messy.

mmm, crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Late lunch of chilli noodles with fish balls, pork mince and sliced fish cake.
    (Phew, only one pic to upload for this one!)

image.jpg

BTW, if anyone has any questions about any of the food, I'll do my best to answer, or get the amazing foodie Uncle Lionel to answer.:D

How do you know if food from a vendor is safe to eat?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Roast chicken, fried onion and mushroom, roasted spicy potatoes. Nom nom nom

Pulled pork, coleslaw, soft sesame bun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Nettle soup and glass of wine.

Had to have a filling replaced this morning, so soft foods only accompanied by wine to get over the trauma.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    How do you know if food from a vendor is safe to eat?

We'll, I'd throw that right back at you. I assume you eat from restaurants, chippers and hot food counters on occasion? How do you know that the food is safe to eat?

But I'll also answer your question. Singapore is a highly regulated and clean society. The vendors have food hygiene certificates. Most are graded B, some A. In Ireland a food provider is either open for business or closed down - that is far less reassuring to me.

Breakfast today:
    Chung fun (a sort of rolled flat noodle, sliced and covered in a dark kind of BBQ sauce).
    Char siu pau boa (steamed wok buns with pork filling)
    Chwee kway (again, but quite different tasting to yesterday's)
    Rambutan

I love spicy, savoury breakfast!
    This was the first time I've eaten the same thing twice.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

We'll, I'd throw that right back at you. I assume you eat from restaurants, choppers and hot food counters on occasion? How do you know that the food is safe to eat?

I've lived in the same place my whole life. I've found out by trial and error :P Also, I don't eat from food vendors here.

I might be going to an asian country, and do you reckon the amount of locals there are a good sign of a good restaurant?

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I've lived in the same place my whole life. I've found out by trial and error :P Also, I don't eat from food vendors here.

I might be going to an asian country, and do you reckon the amount of locals there are a good sign of a good restaurant?

Trial and error? Have you had food poisoning from many outlets that you now avoid?

You only ever eat at home?
    Never from a restaurant, take away or sandwich counter?

I really can only speak about Singapore, I've never been to Asia before.

While in my opinion, Ireland is an exception in this regard, in most countries, the busy restaurants and stalls tend to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night I was invited to my Russian pals for dinner. After a selection of canapés (they go all out!), we had pelmeny for the mains.

They are similar to ravioli. Minced beef, pork, onions & herbs in a thin pastry casing which is boiled in boullion & served up is soup bowls with fresh dill & sour cream. A few shots of vodka to wash them down too.

The fruits of my morning's cooking lesson:
    Kuih pie tee (little crispy cups filled with prawns, coriander, chilli sauce and a filling of cooked grated turnip,garlic,pinched pork and yellow bean paste)
    Kong bak pau (steamed wok buns with slow cooked soy pork belly, coriander and chilli sauce.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Modest dinner of Indian mutton soup - one with rib, one with leg bones.
    Small plate of pandan chicken wings too - just tasted like fried wings but the chilli sauce was nice.

I failed the boards challenge.
    I could have had mutton brain in my soup instead of rib. I declined.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

At a friends wedding yesterday in the Village at Lyons and we really got fed well. It was still Wedding Food but phwoar, yum. No photo cos I already have a reputation for being weird around food but started with an American style biscuit filled with chicken & mushrooms in a tarragon cream sauce (Basically a vol au vent, vol au vents will always be with us even if they're called 'pillows' on the menu) and a piece of fillet beef cooked medium rare with a fondant potato and some other stuff. Then a KILLER dessert plate, tiny, intensely chocolatey brownie, rhubarb and custard pot and some other little desserts that I can't 100% remember because I had the spinnies from champagne at that stage and had to take a little wine break. I remember going on ad nauseum to people about how good they were though. (Also - the little scones they served when we came in from the church were the best scones I've ever eaten and at one stage I was running scone league table for myself so I've got some experience in this area)

Breakfast was also epic, hotels that make their own bread & have a waffle station FTW!

I could have had mutton brain in my soup instead of rib. I declined.

Disappointed. :(

BBQ short pork ribs with a salad/salsa of shredded watercress, scallions, radishes, cherry tomatoes & chilli in lime juice. It was mighty!

Aubergine parmigiana, with spaghetti in a garlicky tomato sauce.

nn2jxt.jpg

Absolutely savage and a good summery dinner, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The chizlers are both on sleepovers tonight so we had one of our favourite meals. Giant gambas, samphire and bread rolls. 15 minutes from prep to serve. :)

023284A8-C025-444F-A7CA-6CD994171EF9_zpsrtpwamho.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We made pizzas tonight - first time in ages and they were fab :)

1pxxlc.jpg

Well I totally forgot the bit earlier where my partner was telling me he was heading out for drinks after work tonight and went all out and made 'us' lots of different foods on pretty plates. Tomatoes with goats cheese, balsamic and much olive oil, toasted (Mediterranean, from Aldi) wraps, (bought) hummus and crudités, cheese & chicken. Had I remembered I was going to be eating by myself I might not have laid everything out buffet style or, more likely, I would just have eaten toast. D'oh!

290bc62f-dbaa-49fa-a2ad-d9bdc8acc212_zps46f362c9.jpg

e4c44e0b-acde-4144-889f-06125f54644c_zpsc2dcfc97.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Well I totally forgot the bit earlier where my partner was telling me he was heading out for drinks after work tonight and went all out and made 'us' lots of different foods on pretty plates. Tomatoes with goats cheese, balsamic and much olive oil, toasted (Mediterranean, from Aldi) wraps, (bought) hummus and crudités, cheese & chicken. Had I remembered I was going to be eating by myself I might not have laid everything out buffet style or, more likely, I would just have eaten toast. D'oh!

Here! You there! Where did you find that Estrella!

PS Bootiful food btw..am dribbling.

I got this particular Estrella in the Mace in the IFSC in Dublin 1 but I've started seeing it in lots of different Spar/Centra type shops in Dublin. Which is great because it reminds me of walking in Galicia :)

• Advertisement

The chizlers are both on sleepovers tonight so we had one of our favourite meals. Giant gambas, samphire and bread rolls. 15 minutes from prep to serve. :)
    ]

That's a hellavulot of samphire. Did you harvest your own or take out a mortgage ?
    Yumm.

Had a light breakfast of a mountain of fruit.
    Mangosteen, papaya, lychee,rambutan.
    You've seen them all before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement