Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That's a hellavulot of samphire. Did you harvest your own or take out a mortgage ?
    Yumm.

Had a light breakfast of a mountain of fruit.
    Mangosteen, papaya, lychee,rambutan.
    You've seen them all before.

The fish shops in Howth used to give it out free just a few years ago but I think I paid about €3 for it. Steamed over boiling water for 5 mins then covered in butter, it was all gone soon enough.

(Mind you, the prawns cost over €20 but they were worth it!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

The fish shops in Howth used to give it out free just a few years ago but I think I paid about €3 for it. Steamed over boiling water for 5 mins then covered in butter, it was all gone soon enough.

(Mind you, the prawns cost over €20 but they were worth it!) :)

Samphire looks unreal! I've never had it but I think I need to be having it fairly soon!

OH is gone away on a golf weekend so it'll be gnocchi, garlic butter, spinach and a very large glass of white wine for me tonight (and the last season of Masterchef cos I rewatch it for funsies).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lunch: shopping centre food hall.
    Mini steamboat: chicken broth, pork and vegetables with rice.
    Vegetarian laksa.

All that food with a coffee cost about €5!

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Posh dinner again - golf club.
    Some highlights:
    Peeking duck. What was interesting was that they just served the crispy skin in a type of pancake with the usual cucumber, spring onion and hoi sin sauce. Crispy duck skin - yummmmmmy yum. The rest of the duck came home with us wrapped up for future use.

Wasabi prawns with fruit.

I learned that even here, sweet and sour pork is just sweet and sour pork:mad:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Off to Bali for a few days tomorrow. Probably won't have access to a computer so we'll all get a well deserved rest from my incessant posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bit of a DIY job with what I could find in the kitchen , but I will definitely be doing this again!

- Get a potato (or a few baby potatoes), peel, cut I to tiny cubes and season with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Fry or deep fry for 3-4 mi uses and set aside on kitchen paper. Retain the oil.

- Get two blocks of frozen spinach and leave in a bowl of hot water. When it is defrosted, drain it completely dry, cut into tiny spreads with a scissors, and season with a little salt and pepper.

- Cut up about 75g of chorizo into tiny spreads and fry for 10 mins with some sherry (or white wine should do if you have none) and leave in the pan.

- Cut a squid tube into rings, season with salt pepper and chili shakes.

- About a half hour after the potatoes have boiled, put about 150g of rice on to boil.

- We the rice is close to done, put the oil pot back on full heat. Only add the potato cubes again when the oil is on the brink of burning. The first time was to cook them through, this time is to get a crunchy exterior... only boil then once and they will turn mushy.

- Empty the rice into a colinder. Add about 1.5 teaspoons of hot sauce (Franks FTW!) and 2 of lemon juice, mix through thoroughly, the add the shredded spinach (the rice will heat it). Put it on a bowl to serve

- Put the squid on a high heat with some oil and fry for about 4-5 mins.

- Keep an eye on the spuds and remove as soon as soon as they begin going darker and crispy to the cylinder. Put on some more kitchen paper to dry and add a little more salt, pepper and chili flakes if it came off while boiling.

- Reheat the chorizo for another minute or so in the pan to get it hot and the oil runny. Take out only the meat, and mix with the spuds. Pour the chorizo oil into the rice/spinach and mix through (gives it a lovely colour) the top with the chorizo/spud mix.

- Place the squid rings on top, and garnish with some lemon and/or lime slices (all those chili flakes can make it spicy, remember!).

End result...

20140531_170414.jpg

20140531_170421.jpg

20140531_170643.jpg

*Having a helper from once you put on the potatoes for the second time onwards is probably recommended. All that stuff is done in 5-7 mins and was pretty frantic, resulting in me burning some of my chorizo.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Looks great Billy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Off to Bali for a few days tomorrow. Probably won't have access to a computer so we'll all get a well deserved rest from my incessant posting.

Enjoy babi Guling.

Tonight's dinner in Penang but no photos cause we were starving after a good swim. Clay pot chicken and mushroom rice. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Just had home-made chips done in my Tefal Acti-Fry with sausages and beans.
    Nothing special but I didn't fancy doing anything complicated. Was tasty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I spent the last week in France - Languedoc region. I don't have photos, but basically ate my weight, several times over, in foie gras, cassolet, bread, chocolate souffle, creme brulee, cream sauces, wine, duck and mussels.
    I ended up having 2-3 courses for lunch, and 3 for dinner every day with free flowing wine, and armagnac - the local "cognac". This was despite a pre-holiday resolution to only have omelettes at lunch, but I just don't have any willpower!

Home yesterday and had bacon and cabbage with parsley and mustard sauce for dinner. It was fabulous.
    Home made pizzas today with a dessert of strawberries from a man on the road.

2014-05-31205448.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Tried out this recipe earlier.
    I just didn't have the oil hot enough at first so one side was a little soggier than I'd like. Served with glass noodles and a touch of satay sauce I made last night.
    rZdMdeFl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think I speak for everyone when I say, no matter how antisocial it makes you look, take notes & photos of all food you even just walk by and create a saga length 'Here's what I had for dinner last night'/here's some food I saw post AS SOON as you reach a computer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tonight I did drumsticks in the oven, with a generous helping of Franks hot sauce.

ED71C9AEB1864FBB83E37901B7FE4CF1-0000324795-0003577200-00800L-A5A8586DD7054F3AA656FD5A54BABC98.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

^^^ OCD Wings ^^^ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Using the leftover pork ribs from Friday, I put these in a broth made with chicken stock flavoured with miso paste, oyster sauce & sambal oelek. Simmered lightly for an hour, then removed the flesh from the bones & put this back in with finely shredded scallions, ginger, chillis, bamboo shoots & the juice of a lime. Finished it off with a handful of fresh coriander leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We went to Sabor Brazil for dinner last night as it was himself's birthday. HOLY MOLY is probably the most accurate two-word review I can muster. It was a 7 course Brazillian tasting menu with unholy amounts of all kinds of booze.

When we arrived we were given olives and a glass of Prosecco, as well as a deliciously sour Caiparina cocktail. Afterwards we were given a plate with 6 tiny items of food, each one representing a different flavour. We were to try each one and sip water in between. I enjoyed this, very unusual.

To follow we had:

A selection of bread made from cassava flour with smoked salmon pate and herby butter;

A bottle of white wine;

Spicy marinated prawns with a cooling salsa, served with a very fancy hot towel for making yourself respectable again afterwards;

A piece of duck sushi with dipping sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger. The sushi was covered by a dinky little birdcage when it arrived;

A giant meat-filled pastry with VERY SPICY oil on the side; I was burning after this one;

Glass of red wine;

Perfectly medium-rare fillet steak in an incredible reduction made from red wine and 20-year old balsamic vinegar, served with some purple potato and yellow carrot;

Another glass of red;

Passionfruit & raspberry sorbet in a shot glass - this was outstanding;

Cheeseboard with crackers, chutneys and Brazillian set jellies. The best (and weirdest) thing on the board was a jelly made from sweet potato. Total madness and completely delicious;

2 mini glasses of Port;

Honeycomb icecream with chocolate sauce;

Hendricks gin cocktail with cointreau and bitters;

Strong coffee with a chocolate truffle (the truffle was unbelievable).

I have never ever ever been so full in my whole life. The food was incredible, the staff was amazing. When himself went to the bathroom I was promptly given a magazine to read until he got back; they gave me a cushion for my back when they saw I was rather small in the giant seat; they even asked if we wanted them to get any messages in the shop like milk or eggs for the next day.

We had gotten a voucher on Grabone before Xmas which covered the dinner, when the bill came it was only €30.

PS I AM STILL FULL TODAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Steak sandwich, with sauteed onions & peppers, hot sauce, mustard and provolone cheese

1b803428-2ec6-4bf8-b380-f75c95dba2ff.jpg

870df0b4-6aab-487d-b340-f69532e167da.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

The OH had an epic bbq waiting for me when I came home from work yesterday. Onion rings to start, then chicken marinated in ginger, lemon and chilli. Striploin steak and homemade flatbreads cooked on the barbecue. Homemade coleslaw, green salad, and a tomato, mozzarella and balsamic vinegar salad. Gin and tonics with lots of ice to wash it all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

pampootie wrote: »
    The OH had an epic bbq waiting for me when I came home from work yesterday. Onion rings to start, then chicken marinated in ginger, lemon and chilli. Striploin steak and homemade flatbreads cooked on the barbecue. Homemade coleslaw, green salad, and a tomato, mozzarella and balsamic vinegar salad. Gin and tonics with lots of ice to wash it all down.

I have to ask - care to share the flatbread recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I have to ask - care to share the flatbread recipe?

150g plain flour
    1.5 tsp quick yeast
    2tbsp olive oil
    130mls water-ish, see how the dough feels

Knead for 5 mins then prove in a warm place for an hour. Knock back, knead again briefly. Roll out as thin as possible, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Put on bbq until you have lovely blackened bits-took us 40 mins but bbq was dying out.

Btw-the more salt, the better it tastes cold with garlic mayo and drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Made the mongolian beef mentioned a few pages back.... Followed recipe to t.... Too sweet. In the bin now :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Prawn curry with rice. Unfortunately I used coriander seeds and I found they tasted soapy. :( Apart from that it was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

ArtyC wrote: »
    Made the mongolian beef mentioned a few pages back.... Followed recipe to t.... Too sweet. In the bin now :(:(

It is sweet. I halved the sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

dipdip wrote: »
    It is sweet. I halved the sugar.

For some reason I thought the soya and cooking would balance it out. Iin edible and hungry :(:(

Time for a large glass of red and some nibbles I guess :)

Last night we had jambalaya (although I think jambalaya is supposed to have celery and that just ain't happening round here)

E06C23AB-87A4-4E62-8FE7-7DC05B0FBFA8_zpsfcgvjfjc.jpg

Tonight we will be having something made of the Jambalaya leftovers. I was thinking along the lines of a spicy arancini but my partner doesn't get home from work till about 11 and I'll have had several glasses of wine by then. Don't think it's recommended to operate deep fat fryers under the influence

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

I made a rib roast of beef today (family coming over for dinner) with port & stilton gravy, dauphinoise potato, green beans & a roast garlic, sweet potato & squash mash. My Oh had pan seared duck breast instead of beef.
    All followed by Eton mess. I didn't take pics as I was racing to serve up six plates before food started to go cold. The beef was fab. Definitely worth the extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Tonight we will be having something made of the Jambalaya leftovers. I was thinking along the lines of a spicy arancini but my partner doesn't get home from work till about 11 and I'll have had several glasses of wine by then. Don't think it's recommended to operate deep fat fryers under the influence

Use it as a quesadilla filling! That's my go-to 'drunk but want food' food :)

Last night we had jambalaya (although I think jambalaya is supposed to have celery and that just ain't happening round here)

Lovely dish...I have the same stripy glasses as you!:)

Sino-Cajun fusion food (HAH! no, not really). Made an egg fried rice from my jambalaya by frying streaky bacon & courgettes in butter/oil till they were caramelised and delicious, tipped in eggs mixed with with Franks and cooked till the eggs were done, then added the jambalaya and some strong cheddar. Served with more franks, scallions and a little laoganma black bean relish. This was SO good. Savoury and spicy and filling and just plain good all round.

90C22CE6-463B-4FB3-A665-110ECC5233BD_zpssmxvmvwa.jpg

emm - just noticed the graffiti on our salt! Not sure I ever expected that to be in the background of a picture when I was testing out my sharpie

Sino-Cajun fusion food (HAH! no, not really). Made an egg fried rice from my jambalaya by frying streaky bacon & courgettes in butter/oil till they were caramelised and delicious, tipped in eggs mixed with with Franks and cooked till the eggs were done, then added the jambalaya and some strong cheddar. Served with more franks, scallions and a little laoganma black bean relish. This was SO good. Savoury and spicy and filling and just plain good all round.

emm - just noticed the graffiti on our salt! Not sure I ever expected that to be in the background of a picture when I was testing out my sharpie

Omg laughing so loud right now..I didn't notice it til you pointed it out.
    Haha I love how detailed you went with it too! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

[HTML]just noticed the graffiti on our salt! Not sure I ever expected that to be in the background of a picture when I was testing out my sharpie[/HTML]

Classic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement