Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

We had turkey dopiaza with cauliflower "rice". The turkey was from the freezer and the dopiaza came from one of the Aldi jars that came so highly recommended on this forum. Absolutely delicious! Would eat again.
    Faith wrote: »
    We also had an Aldi curry but we had tikka masala as I'm trying to increase my tolerance for heat. There was no heat in it at all though! We have the dopiaza in the cupboard to try next.

As a huge fan of the Aldi curry sauces, funnily enough these two are the ones I don't like :D

I had the balti last week, really good, lovely and sweet with a mild (for me - I forgot to add extra chillies!) kick. Going to have the madras tonight, definitely my favourite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I had a great big plate of wet yuck. A failure dinner indeed. Ended up binning most of it and having toast and Baileys instead

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Looks great! I put chorizo in risotto a little while ago - it didn't work out great - I fried it off just after the onion, I waited until oil went a just reddish with its juices and then added the arborio. It was quite rubbery though.
    Do you add it at frying up stage, or later and give it a warm through few minutes before end?
    I keep meaning to try it at warm through stage but haven't had chorizo when making risotto since!

Tonight I had a fab salad of turkey and ham (left over from Christmas dinner version 3.0 from Sunday!) with goats cheese, roasted hazelnuts, beetroot, tomato and some baby spinach dressed with truffle oil and lemon. So good!

Overcooking chorizo makes it really rubbery alright. Try frying it at the beginning to release the juices, then removing it to a plate and frying the onions etc in the oil and juices. Then add the chorizo back in at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Apologies about the bad photo :o

Beef and ale stew (loosely based on this)

IMAG0438_zpsexkfshop.jpg

It came out slightly bitter so I'll have to tweek the leftovers slighty before round two tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dahl, wilted spinach, brown basmati rice.

6LTJ59.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I had a great big plate of wet yuck. A failure dinner indeed. Ended up binning most of it and having toast and Baileys instead

Toast and Baileys is a perfectly balanced and nourishing diet. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Animord wrote: »
    Toast and Baileys is a perfectly balanced and nourishing diet. Everyone knows that.

At least three of your five a day in there, and all the important food groups covered.

It was almost entirely my college diet and, sure, apart from that one time I think I had scurvy it was all grand
    deaaa457-bcb2-493e-a912-d2c8456e7f45_zps94e5aaec.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

As a huge fan of the Aldi curry sauces, funnily enough these two are the ones I don't like :D

I had the balti last week, really good, lovely and sweet with a mild (for me - I forgot to add extra chillies!) kick. Going to have the madras tonight, definitely my favourite!

I've a pot of the madras on the go at the moment; my first time trying it - already smells/tastes deeelicious :)

I added an onion, garlic, ginger and some fresh ground coriander to freshen up the flavours (and because I like chopping veg!)

B0jangles wrote: »
    I've a pot of the madras on the go at the moment; my first time trying it - already smells/tastes deeelicious :)

I added an onion, garlic, ginger and some fresh ground coriander to freshen up the flavours (and because I like chopping veg!)

Sounds yum, can't wait to get home now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

B0jangles wrote: »

I have to say I bought the tikka masala sauce the other day as I'd heard great things about the Aldi curry sauces and I wasn't very impressed. Jamie Oliver's recipe with the pataks paste, chopped tomatoes and coconut milk is much nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Started reading this thread yesterday morning when I got to work - bad idea, stomach rumbled constantly from 9am to lunchtime ;)

Tonight Matthew I'm cooking chicken breasts stuffed with mozzarella, with tomato, chorizo and red wine sauce with steamed baby potatoes in herb butter, carrots and sprouts (as it will probably be the last time I can have them till December).

Will post a photo if it turns out edible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Chicken thigh fillets roasted with garlic, lime, lemon oil, soy sauce and honey. Shredded carrot and fennel stirfried with garlic, onion and ginger. Boiled rice and coriander to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had seabass in Mediterranean marinade (again..can't get enough of this!), baby potatoes and a large mixed salad.
    With a small glass of white wine.

Followed by good old tinned strawberries and pears in natural juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Made pulled pork last night and tonight I decided to make tacos with it. I whizzed up some chipotles peppers in adobo sauce with a little water and added to the pork. Served with tomatillo salsa.

287907.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Chicken stir-fry for us tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Half of a gorgeous frittata which had smoked bacon, onion, peppers and potatoes, with feta crumbled over the top. Really took all my willpower not to eat the other half

• Registered Users Posts: 4 caoineadh12345

I had bacon and cabbage with spuds. Cooked the cabbage 'till it was in bits just the way I like it. Gorgeous;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

leahyl wrote: »
    I have to say I bought the tikka masala sauce the other day as I'd heard great things about the Aldi curry sauces and I wasn't very impressed. Jamie Oliver's recipe with the pataks paste, chopped tomatoes and coconut milk is much nicer

I just had a bowlful and it really is excellent. I normally make all my curries from scratch, mostly from freshly ground spices and I was very impressed indeed.

True to my word, no takeaways this evening!

A salad, albeit a pretty indulgent one. Spinach, feta, mixed cherry toms, sugar snaps, pine nuts with Paul Newman balsamic dressing and prosciutto.

Some home-buttered garlic bread shnaaaked it's way onto the plate somehow as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

True to my word, no takeaways this evening!

A salad, albeit a pretty indulgent one. Spinach, feta, mixed cherry toms, sugar snaps, pine nuts with Paul Newman balsamic dressing and prosciutto.

Some home-buttered garlic bread shnaaaked it's way onto the plate somehow as well.

That looks delicious!! I want your dinner!

That looks delicious!! I want your dinner!

My body is dancing the "yay for vitamins" dance!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I had bacon and cabbage with spuds. Cooked the cabbage 'till it was in bits just the way I like it. Gorgeous;)

My mum used to add bicarbonate of soda or something like that and the cabbage went to mush. Loads of butter and parsley sauce and I was in food heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

My body is dancing the "yay for vitamins" dance!

My diet has been about 95% raw for the last few days - I am not a raw foodie by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel like that too! Vitamins and Minerals. You can't bate them now and then.

Made a turkey rogan josh and brown rice with chickpeas. Used the Aldi rogan josh sauce (Aldi owe whoever mentioned that sauce the first time commission!) Unfortunately I found it really quite sour verging on bitter for my tastes and had to add a couple of teaspoons of sugar to correct that. Might try a couple of the others because if I could find a jarred curry sauce I liked it would be amazing for nights when I just don't want to cook but the rogan josh won't be something I buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

if I could find a jarred curry sauce I liked it would be amazing for nights when I just don't want to cook but the rogan josh won't be something I buy again.

I don't know if they're available everywhere yet but if you see the green saffron range it's all amazing, the spice mixes in particular but the jars are good too. I've seen them in dunnes in cork or you can buy off the website

pampootie wrote: »
    I don't know if they're available everywhere yet but if you see the green saffron range it's all amazing, the spice mixes in particular but the jars are good too. I've seen them in dunnes in cork or you can buy off the website

You're the second recommendation I've gotten for Green Saffron, consider me sold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Kinda of a mish mash dinner last night to use up some of the lonely fridge contents.

Chicken cooked in habanero sauce, chili ketchup, soy sauce, and jalapeno sauce. It turned into a delicious sticky, spicy chicken once I added a bit of water to the pan.

I also cooked the cabbage and tender-steam broccoli with a knob of butter in the same pan used to cook the chicken.

Portion of gnocchi on the side which had to be used. Not the biggest fan of this and they were quite rubbery.

43ECD0AA-6C4B-49E6-9780-3CE9247F8E82_zpsygi6oj5r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried and grilled fillets of seatrout, thyme and lemon butter, carrots. green beans, mash with lots of leek and a tough of garlic.

6KEW9V.jpg

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »

I really don't like the tikka masala, find it too sickly or something. But don't write them off, give one of the other ones a go!

I had madras sauce with chicken and chickpeas, brown rice and garlic & coriander naan last night. Delicious! Looking forward to leftovers tonight :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement