Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Cooking club quesadillas. They were delicious, even 7 month old Roesy junior enjoyed a tiny chorizo free version. Myself and my OH had some refried beans with ours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Salmon with a pesto crust, roasted baby potatoes and broccoli. Followed by two oat pancakes with nutella. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Had some nice hearty dinners over the weekend. Crap photos as usual, but they tasted good and that's all that mattered :)

Made a big pot of chilli con carne on Friday, my first time making it and it was delicious, best I've ever tasted :) Had leftovers with nachos on Saturday.

8vsB9HM.jpg

LqpNTHn.jpg

And then grilled sirloin steak tonight with green beans and rosemary & garlic wedges. I've only started cooking steak very recently and have become pretty good at grilling the perfect medium steak :)

sC159wh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

More about the dessert than the main, strawberry jelly, with strawberies in the jelly and then chantilly cream just drizzled over. the cream ran into the flutes of the jelly mould. tempted to add a spoonful of Amerrto... Yummy..

8qX4Lc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Nevin Maguire's Rump of Lamb with Rosemary Jus, Pea Puree, Asparagus, Pureed Carrots and Potato Gratin. My sister was on a cooking buzz yesterday, and I was a grateful and enthusiastic eater.
    Doesn't quite look as good as Nevin's, but fantastic nonetheless. http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/0320/3756-rump-of-local-lamb-with-pea-puree-and-rosemary-jus/

2014-06-02181038.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken with garlic, lemon and cajun spice - roasted potato cubes, coleslaw, salad. And I made corn fritters with diced red pepper added to the mix. They were really nice
    No photos because we had guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My Mum treated me to dinner at a local Chinese restaurant for a pre-birthday meal.
    The restaurant was gorgeous, all Chinese ornaments and Buddha statues and the staff were extremely polite and friendly.

I've never really strayed far from curries before as I am always afraid of trying new dishes in restaurants incase I hate them, and I'm not one for starters as I don't have a big appetite, but Mum recommended the Chicken Yuk Sung for starters, which we both had.

Big crisp lettuce leaves filled with a minced chicken and vegetable mixture.
    You roll the lettuce leaf around it and eat.
    It was truly scrumptious and refreshing.

For main course we both had Chicken Szechuan which was lots of tender chicken pieces, crunchy green peppers, red chillies, mange tout, baby corn in a Szechuan sauce, served with Singapore noodles.

We both thoroughly enjoyed the meal but I couldn't take photos cos the place was packed and I didn't want to look like an oddball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Meat Feast Pizza! Frankfurter sausage, pepperoni, roast chicken, Serrano ham.

9C424034-9EBB-435F-880D-A1201F703047_zpsqfs3kf7y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Whole Sea trout, cooked in olive oil, dark soya sauce and pepper (steamed for 2-3 mins in mircrowave in a sealed plastic tub e.g. tupperware, etc)

Home made fried rice, consisting of boiled rice with peas, lentils & pumpkin seeds, fried in olive oil in wok, with pepper and dark soya added to taste, yum!! :)

p.s. looking forward to round 2 tonight!
    p.p.s so is the dog!! he loves fish skins and plate lickings after this dish!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Made the most delicious beef vindaloo and homemade pilau rice.
    Cooked the vindaloo for six hours in the slow cooker yesterday. Took a shortcut and used a jar of Patak's vindaloo paste and spiked it with some garlic, ginger, dried chilli and red wine vinegar.
    Used Jamie Oliver's recipe for pilau rice using cloves, cardomon pods and tumeric. First time I ever made it at home, very please with how it turned out.
    The whole lot was bleedin delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Beef Fajitas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I was working late so when I got home at 9.30 I put some bacon under the grill and had me a delicious sandwich with soft brown bread, iceberg lettuce, mayo, ketchup and crispy smoked bacon. And a slice of melon for vittttaminses. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I made a carvery rib roast last Sunday. It was covered in marble and cooked to the way I like it (crusty outside, pink in the middle). Whilst it was resting I finished off the roast potatoes in the juice from the meat. It was probably the tastiest dinner I've ever done.

Last night was stuffed pork steak with more spuds and carrots.

" Chicken something or other" tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It was fridge-clearing time (coming home for 5 days! Yippee!), so it was toastie rolls with cherry tomatoes, onion, ham, Gouda & mustard.

In reference to an earlier post, I brought back Barry's tea the last time. I still prefer Lyon's. Still, Barry's is better than the Swiss stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Already last night as I'm on hols and about 8 hours ahead! Dinners so nice, had to share with you lot!

Korean bbq, fried noodle, salad with tomatos and kind of tonkatsu sauce, fish paste rolls, yellow tail fish. nom nom nom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

In reference to an earlier post, I brought back Barry's tea the last time. I still prefer Lyon's. Still, Barry's is better than the Swiss stuff.

Yeah but no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Yesterdays dinner was lamb shanks braised for 7 hours with sweet potato, carrot, every other veg under the sun that I had to use up.

Made an Apple & Rhubarb tart earlier and used remains of the lamb to make mini pies. Not a great dessert maker so my tarts always look a bit odd. No harm, hid it under lots of whipped cream:D
    fQXgLatl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Oat bran, Parmesan and oregano coated hake fingers with sweet potato fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It was fridge-clearing time (coming home for 5 days! Yippee!), so it was toastie rolls with cherry tomatoes, onion, ham, Gouda & mustard.

Bring back a box of McGraths Reserve Blend from Aldi to see what you think, 1.79 for 80 bags, meant to be super.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bring back a box of McGraths Reserve Blend from Aldi to see what you think, 1.79 for 80 bags, meant to be super.

I can confirm that. Had some yesterday. Great cup of tea! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can confirm that. Had some yesterday. Great cup of tea! :)

Doesn't do it for me at all. There's a box in the cupboard that's only for dire straits when I have absolutely no other options.

Infact they are €1.69 and won a Gold Medal award no less at the Great Taste Awards last year and in 2010

https://www.aldi.ie/en/about-aldi/award-winners/great-taste-award-winners-2013/great-taste-2013-products-detail-page/ps/p/reserve-blend-80s-tea-bags/

Faith wrote: »
    Doesn't do it for me at all. There's a box in the cupboard that's only for dire straits when I have absolutely no other options.

Yeh in fairness, horses for courses and all that. Some like, some not like

In anyhow, back on topic, had stir fry veg, mashed and creamed potatoes and lion of bacon, which was quite lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Back from Bali. Our time there wasn't as food obsessed as Singapore but there were some food highlights none the less - some of which weren't actual meals: cutting cinnamon bark off a tree, pulling ginger and lemon grass directly from the ground beside paddy fields, tasting raw rice from the sheaf and seeing coffee growing wild, to mention a few.

We had some good meals too but we were pretty much always in touristy areas.

While far from the best food we've eaten, we had the best airplane food to date on Air Aisa

image.jpg

Our local beach bars has very good grilled fish. The sides weren't that great but a whole BBQ grilled red snapper is hard to argue with.

image.jpg

Up in the mountains we ate in a little roadside cafe that had no menu. You just got lunch: Babi Guling (roast suckling pig) with various sides and a lovely clear broth. Very very good food

image.jpg

The best food we had was at the wedding we were invited to. There was a Indonesian buffet - too many dishes to recall. Having had Malay sate, Chinese sate on this trip, my favourite was the Balinese sate in this meal - a very dark fruity peanut sauce. The lemongrass heavy chicken curry was amazing too.

image.jpg

That's all to report from Bali, foodwise. It is a stunningly beautiful and very friendly place. I'd highly recommend a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Another epic hawker centre meal last night.

BBQ stingray. It was awesome. I'm a fan of ray/skate anyway but this was just gorgeous with beautiful spicing and, of course, it's own chilli dipping sauce.

image.jpg

Really only ordered this in a halfarsed attempt to rise to the boards challenge set me and Mrs. Fox but it was really delicious : Claypot Frog porridge!
    I'm no stranger to savoury rice porridge but this particular one was very! very good.
    I've had frogs legs in France but they weren't good - this frog was tender and tasty and the deep fried sort of savoury doughnut was great with it. A definite food highlight.

There some seafood noodles and a glass of sugar cane juice in the pic too.

image.jpg

Ngo Hiang. A collection of treats. Century old egg with ginger. Deep fried bean curd wrapped prawn and pork roll. Fried tofu. Pork sausage. A kind of fried prawn fritter/rusk.

Plate of cockles. Didn't care for these. They barely cook them here (they don't even open) so they're a bit strong tasting and sort of bloody tasting.

image.jpg

I thought a pic of all the different accompaniments was worth while too. Each one for a specific dish - all chilli based.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had homemade burger and chips last night and it was spectacular, very moreish and quite untidy to eat but worth all the indignity!:)

Roasted Hake, Roast Spuds, Roasted baby plum tomatoes and Roasted green beans.

Even though my circa 1980s oven is on its last legs (only 2 rings working!) I'd determined to run it into the ground!!

Loire wrote: »
    Roasted Hake, Roast Spuds, Roasted baby plum tomatoes and Roasted green beans.

Even though my circa 1980s oven is on its last legs (only 2 rings working!) I'd determined to run it into the ground!!

Hopefully we're getting a new one this month. We've been saving a while but keep dipping into 'The cooker fund'. :(

Hopefully we're getting a new one this month. We've been saving a while but keep dipping into 'The cooker fund'. :(

You should try keeping your hands out of the house extension fund!!

• Advertisement

Loire wrote: »
    You should try keeping your hands out of the house extension fund!!

Holiday anyone? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement