Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dinner was simple but awesome - beef on the bone curry served with the fluffiest chapatti. Also, lemongrass fried chicken. Dessert was a fruit cocktail pudding. sorry no photos this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Singapore leg of the wedding was tonight - a sumptuous many course banquet.
    Amazing food - a far cry from beef or salmon (or lamb or sea bass which is the new beef or salmon). Pics and details to follow when I've done some digesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The kind of salad we used to have with a BBQ or bring in a big tub (read: biscuit tin) for a picnic when I was little(r). Tomatoes, crispy bacon, potatoes, eggs, chicken, scallions, avocado (this we definitely did not have) and crisp iceberg lettuce. Had it with a shop bought French Dressing because (after I had mixed and tasted my dressing, I probably have effin' listeria) I noticed a big brown, floating, betentacled mould cloud in my bottle of vinegar. Jolly good.

44D33C16-8B0E-4164-8A3E-3C94CF0167F7_zpsu9kmjf83.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

A big, dirty, delicious green Thai curry with rice and chips at work.

I was staaarving, and it was devoured in nanoseconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Rack of Lamb for us tonight, it was scrumptious.

We had mashed potatoes too, although they weren't as nice as usual, the potatoes were watery and a wee bit waxy (I thought anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Down at Granny's caravan by the sea tonight so a huge pot of mussels with spicy chorizo and buttered bread stick. The 'soup' is our favourite. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

(after I had mixed and tasted my dressing, I probably have effin' listeria) I noticed a big brown, floating, betentacled mould cloud in my bottle of vinegar. Jolly good.

A vinegar mother?

That is a good thing! Wont do you any harm and you usually have to pay extra to get a mother.

Animord wrote: »
    A vinegar mother?

That is a good thing! Wont do you any harm and you usually have to pay extra to get a mother.

Urm, yes. WTF is a vinegar mother? Off to Google with me...

It looks like a Dr Who villain

Urm, yes. WTF is a vinegar mother? Off to Google with me...

It looks like a Dr Who villain

It is super cool - you can make your own vinegar now!

Animord wrote: »
    It is super cool - you can make your own vinegar now!

Ah thanks for turning this into a good thing for me :) I really felt sorry for myself when I saw the little floater in vinegar I'd already tasted yesterday! Might buy me some fancy cider and create vinegar!

• Advertisement

Ah thanks for turning this into a good thing for me :) I really felt sorry for myself when I saw the little floater in vinegar I'd already tasted yesterday! Might buy me some fancy cider and create vinegar!

:D You have acquired a pet. It is like Kefir - once you have the blasted things you have to keep them alive or you feel evil - well I do anyway. But yeah, you could buy cider and make your own. Or you could drink the cider an buy more vinegar. Up to you. Either way, you'll be fine,

You are right though, when you said Dr Who I immediately thought of this lovely creature... Looks similar to yours?

doctor-who-peter-kay.jpg

Yes!! Although, as of yet, it doesn't have Peter Kay's voice so it isn't irritating as well as disturbingly brown and floaty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Pork medallions fried then spread with wholegrain mustard. Had them with mash, frozen peas (cooked ;)) and fried onions.

Twas lovely. I was always wary of pork medallions as I suspected they might be dry but there's enough fat running through them to keep them moist. Will definitely buy again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had a lovely bowl of Irish stew made with stewing beef pieces, carrots, onions, potatoes, Oxtail soup, parsley, thyme and a dollop of brown sauce.
    Delicious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bickering posts deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

After enjoying an amazing bowl of chorizo, chickpea & spinach soup in a local café (The Plough in Skerries) the other day, I tried making one at home (but more of a stew) last night. It worked out great. Mrs B & The Kids loved it. Resounding success. :)

After enjoying an amazing bowl of chorizo, chickpea & spinach soup in a local café (The Plough in Skerries) the other day, I tried making one at home (but more of a stew) last night. It worked out great. Mrs B & The Kids loved it. Resounding success. :)

That sounds very good. Can we have a rough idea of what you did?

Sure.

I finely diced 250g chorizo & popped in a pan on a medium heat (no oil needed).
    After a few mins stirring occasionally, I added a finely chopped medium onion, 3 minced cloves of garlic & a tsp of cumin seeds that I roughly pounded to release the oils. While not in my original plan - I found a half butternut squash in the fridge & peeled & cut this into small dice & chucked this in too.

After frying for 3 or 4 mins I added a tin of whole plum tomatoes that I had roughly chopped. A good squirt of tomato purée went in too along with a drained tin of chickpeas. Then I added water - no idea how much, possibly 1.5l & a veg & a chicken stock pot. Just add enough water to get the consistency that you'd like from the soup.

I simmered it for an hour or so & a few minutes before serving I roughly chopped half a bag of spinach & chucked this into the pot.

Thanks, I was wondering if it was a tomatoey based stew/soup. Sounds good, I am into my lentils and beans at the moment.

• Advertisement

The wedding banquet.
    Click on menu image for a larger view.

While all the courses were interesting in their own right, the first 4 were astounding, the second 4 ...not so much.

Does jellyfish go anywhere towards completing my boards challenge as the frog porridge didn't seem to impress anyone?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Faith wrote: »
    Bickering posts deleted

I missed these...were they about Irish stew? :pac:

dipdip wrote: »
    I missed these...were they about Irish stew? :pac:

They were deleted, so we won't be chatting about them on this thread. Onwards & dinnerwards...

Does jellyfish go anywhere towards completing my boards challenge as the frog porridge didn't seem to impress anyone?

I'd award you serious jellyfish points, both because they are horrible little yokes and for the nasty jelly texture I imagine them to have in my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

That's a yes then. :pac:

Last night we had a very simple meal - corn tacos with spicy beef, home made salsa and guac, jalapenos, sour cream, grated cheddar. It was fabulousness.

Tonight someone else is cooking, but we currently have wurly's quinoa base pizza in the oven for lunch. Exciting!

I'd award you serious jellyfish points, both because they are horrible little yokes and for the nasty jelly texture I imagine them to have in my head

I really liked the jellyfish. Much firmer texture than you'd imagine. Not a lot of taste but I loved the mouth feel .

Tonight we were invited to a family dinner party. I was a bit disappointed to find it was western food but the steaks were pretty amazing. Japanese Wagu beef. While not the tastiest steak I've ever had it was probably the most tender ribeye I've ever had. Very, very rich too.

Here's a pic of one of the strip loins they had (there was a choice of ribeye or strip). I've never seen a more marbled piece of beef.

image.jpg

dipdip wrote: »
    That's a yes then. :pac:

@dipdip - It is a site wide boards rule not to comment on moderator actions on-thread. It only serves to drag threads off-topic. Please refrain from doing so again.

Thanks,

tHB

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Went out for din dins areir. I had prawns in a vat of butter for starter, herself had muscles. Main for me was 14oz rib of beef, and dessert was a white chocolate cheese cake. Fab.

F85EB9EDE7FA4FC0A71CC31B01B8F258-0000324795-0003580604-00800L-4BB54A7881F64C29925B80B8B30A4D5C.jpg

5E844195120E408E8CA3A3868E66DB40-0000324795-0003580603-00800L-0F3BE306D3744A1B8E89F8C56222B774.jpg

5B649AB6DEB54BF8B8028A5F1DC35DDA-0000324795-0003580605-00800L-F79E432DFCEA4C79A422298B93B70E53.jpg

63D325D38A4B4BBDA30120C33E259436-0000324795-0003580601-00640L-5DEEACDBA2B6499AA976C5440747DD44.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

beertons wrote: »
    Went out for din dins areir. I had prawns in a vat of butter for starter, herself had muscles. Main for me was 14oz rib of beef, and dessert was a white chocolate cheese cake. Fab.

The muscles look good. Someone's been working out :D

• Advertisement

No pics taken but we had some people over for dinner last night, and had the following:

* BBQd corn on the cob
    * BBQd prawn & veggie skewers
    * Boiled and then fried chicken (fried with chipotles in adobo sauce)
    * BBQd Tortillas
    * Homemade guac
    * Homemade salsa
    * Jalapenos
    * Cheese
    * And then for dessert Simple Chocolate Fondants

When people left around later that night, we helped ourselves to the following:

6uxELK.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement