Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It had to be done!
    Durian : the strangest smelling fruit known to man:eek:
    I nervously tried it only to find I liked it.
    Strangely creamy, fleshy and rich. Couldn't eat a lot of it but it is very nice.

I think I'm officially accepted here now:D

image.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

It had to be done!
    Durian : the strangest smelling fruit known to man:eek:
    I nervously tried it only to find I liked it.
    Strangely creamy, fleshy and rich. Couldn't eat a lot of it but it is very nice.

I think I'm officially accepted here now:D

Remember don't bring it on public transport!

Daisies wrote: »
    Remember don't bring it on public transport!

Nope, came home on the bus and it was waiting for us when we got back.
    Thanks Uncle Lionel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

6jQ5T5.jpg

4Rzqyq.jpg

7LQ8fw.jpg

Saturdat night out, into South London Suburbs, a restaurant vying for Michelin recognition.. The service, delivery and taste were excellent... Not sure if it;s Michelin star quality.

Fish, beef and chocolate and ice cream...... Let the side down by having a Bavatian beer... LOL

But, super yummy

While I liked the durian, the post durian burps are another matter altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do tell! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I heard this woman on Sean Moncrieff's show on newstalk in the last few weeks. She has a bizarre love for the durian. She eats it very possible way, and apparently had Thai people stopping to look at her, an American, eating it.
    To be honest, It sounded all a bit weird.
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/05/21/314529503/on-the-trail-of-durian-southeast-asias-cr-me-br-l-e-on-a-tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night's fare was very simple but really delicious: sirloin steak with a hot pepper sauce, sugarsnaps, new potatoes and a garlic baguette.

It's definitely summertime when the new potatoes make an appearance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Oblomov wrote: »

Saturdat night out, into South London Suburbs, a restaurant vying for Michelin recognition.. The service, delivery and taste were excellent... Not sure if it;s Michelin star quality.

Fish, beef and chocolate and ice cream...... Let the side down by having a Bavatian beer... LOL

But, super yummy

Oh my, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Home made pizza and garlic bread tonight.

14353777906_21e859127f_z.jpg20140608_203857 by Pulsar_vzr, on Flickr

14373515441_be30c85266_z.jpg20140608_210623 by Pulsar_vzr, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

OREGATO wrote: »
    Home made pizza and garlic bread tonight.

recipes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

numorouno wrote: »
    recipes please!

:)

For the pizza base, I just follow Jamie Oliver's dough recipe found here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/pizza-dough I didn't have tipo flour so just used Odlums strong flour, worked out fine.

I halve the ingredients as I find that there is just too much dough with the measurements in his recipe but it's fantastic and works every time.

One thing to note - he mentions in the recipe to leave the dough rise in a warm hot place, I tend to use the hot press with a damp cloth over the mixing bowl but sometimes, I preheat the oven (60ish degrees) and then put the dough in and turn off the oven. This will help the dough raise :)

While the dough is raising, pre heat the oven (if you have the dough raising in one, use another!!) to 180 degrees. I make the tomato base, tend to just chop up a few tomatoes and put them into a sauce pan with garlic and reduce it down, I add a little tomato puree and basil. Then let it cool or simmer.

I then chop up all my ingredients, tonight, was mainly stuff that was in the fridge for the past few days (anything I could get my hands on basically)

- Pepperoni
    - Olives
    - Mushroom
    - Parma ham
    - Mozzarella ball
    - Mozzarella cheese
    - Pineapple

When the dough has raised, kneed it out and break off a little bit into a ball, using a rolling pin start to spread it out into the size of your tray (depending on if you want a thin or thick base, you'll need to experiment with the amounts - we tend to like thin bases so try to stretch it out as much as you can!) Lash on the tomato sauce and then add your toppings, don't add too much as it can be hard to cook - speaking from experience :)

For the garlic bread, we don't have a second pizza tray yet so I just spread it out loosely on a baking tray, I used garlic butter in a tub (you can get this from Lidl), I put this into the oven for a minute and then took it out so that the butter was spreadable, spread it all over within an inch of the edge and then lashed on loads of mozzarella cheese.

Into the oven for around 10 minutes - just keep your eye on it, you should be able to gauge when it's ready as the cheese will start to brown.

When ready, take out, cut up and enjoy!

I'm stuffed, still have enough for dinner tomorrow night and I love cold left over pizza!

Here are a pic of the pizza before it went into the oven:

14190427777_aec406628e_z.jpg20140608_204025 by Pulsar_vzr, on Flickr

For, Sarahbeep

Oh my, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE!

4DH2i6.jpg

4TV7rT.jpg

Do tell! :)

It's just that the flavour is great going down but the burps are really just the smell of durian without the flavour - not so nice.
    Also, the burps smell very strongly for anyone near you!

Last hawker centre breakfast:(

Chwee Kueh. I love these for breakfast but I've always liked spicy for breakfast.

image.jpg

And here's a shot of stacks of chwee Kueh ready to go in the huge steamer.

image.jpg

Prata Roti

image.jpg

Prawn noodles with pork.

image.jpg

We also had some fried carrot cake.

Couldn't resist a few shots in the supermarket.

Some curiously marketed frozen tuna.(you'll need to click on image to see clearly)

image.jpg

And the soy sauce aisle

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Couldn't resist a few shots in the supermarket.

My secret guilty pleasure. Foreign supermarkets. I don't dare tell anyone because they would think I was mad but when I go abroad it is the food markets I want to go to first and then I could happily spend the rest of my holiday in the supermarket. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Animord wrote: »
    My secret guilty pleasure. Foreign supermarkets. I don't dare tell anyone because they would think I was mad but when I go abroad it is the food markets I want to go to first and then I could happily spend the rest of my holiday in the supermarket. :(

Me too! I also love going into Eastern European supermarkets here in Ireland because the various smells remind me so much of Prague and Budapest. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

+1 :D

I don't think you're alone with that habit round here. I love seeing what brands are the same, what brands are different, what veg they have, the different cuts of meat etc. I also enjoy comparing prices. I love local markets but I enjoy supermarkets just as much.

I am so glad I am not alone - I'd browse supermarkets for hours!

If I have never seen it before/don't know what it is - it is sooooo in my trolley!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Just thought i would let all of you foodies know that Lidl have fillet steak on offer this week for €3.99..i know what i'm having this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I love doing this! Whenever I'm on a work trip to Africa I always to try plan for a bit of time to visit a local supermarket, I tend to come home with strange and wonderful things in my suitcase. My favourites are the spice mix for tea (similar to Indian chai) from Tanzania and the blindingly hot chilli oil (in an eye dropper bottle) from Rwanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

the blindingly hot chilli oil (in an eye dropper bottle) from Rwanda.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the excellently appropriate adjective/container situation here.

Looks like we are all kindred spirits here. If you are feeling withdrawal symptoms I recommend you head out to Musgraves Cash and Carry in Ballymun. It's like a different world. You don't need a VAT card to browse.......

Looks like we are all kindred spirits here. If you are feeling withdrawal symptoms I recommend you head out to Musgraves Cash and Carry in Ballymun. It's like a different world. You don't need a VAT card to browse.......

I have Musgraves cards for Cork, Limerick and Galway. :o Is it worth doing Dublin too?

Is it worth doing Dublin too?

I can't compare it to the others but it is huge. Full to the rafters with lots of different food, ingredients and everything to do with cooking and eating.

8j2AwY.gif

7NMJW4.gif

Desserts again, and so simple... Strawberry jelly and condensed milk. and a dribble of cream.

The condensed milk will float on top of the jelly giving the red topping. Set in a flat dish/ mould and cut into strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night we had de-frosted, re-heated Spag Bol. I had cooked it on the slow cooker for the whole day with a good drop of wine and it was fab. Such a handy one to prepare in advance!

Last night I had chips, beans and sausages.

Then I had a mashed banana with cream.

It was flipping delicious - proper comfort food.

• Advertisement

The last supper::mad:

Chilli crab again. I love this dish:D
    Sea cucumber with shiitake mushrooms (any points there for weird food?).
    There was also a tofu dish that didn't photographed.

20140609_191603.jpg

I might have mad a bit of a mess:o:o:o

20140609_194632.jpg

So that's all folks!
    Thanks for sharing my culinary Singapore (and a bit of Bali) adventure.
    (apologies for using this thread for breakfast, lunch, dinner and random postings but I thought it best to keep it all in one thread)

In UK for a couple of days.
    Normal sercvice will resume soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement