Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Sweet and sour with mango, cherry tomatoes and raisins. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In UK for a couple of days.
    Normal sercvice will resume soon.

What an experience. Egg and chips anyone? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What an experience. Egg and chips anyone? ;)

To be fair, the UK has very widespread good food and more choice compared to Ireland.
    Plenty of rubbish food too, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Kurumba wrote: »
    Just thought i would let all of you foodies know that Lidl have fillet steak on offer this week for €3.99..i know what i'm having this week :D
    Is this in all Lidl stores? My boyfriend and his dad went to one yesterday and they couldn't find any of those steaks. Not sure if the were just sold out or if its only in selected stores. Couldn't find anything on Lidl's website either.
    Loire wrote: »
    Last night we had de-frosted, re-heated Spag Bol. I had cooked it on the slow cooker for the whole day with a good drop of wine and it was fab. Such a handy one to prepare in advance!
    Any chance of the recipe? Any time I make spag bol lately its never right, always something bland/missing from it.

Last night I made a creamy pasta dish, with chicken, garlic and white wine. Turned out horrible, it was bland and just eugh. All I got was a strong taste of garlic off it and it really put me off.

Everyone else tried it and couldn't find a thing wrong with it, so maybe it was just me.

I normally cook in batch and then defrost reheat as needed, think I may start doing that again as I'm just not enjoying cooking as much as I used too and I rarely enjoy any food I cook lately. Hopefully it's just a phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Is this in all Lidl stores? My boyfriend and his dad went to one yesterday and they couldn't find any of those steaks. Not sure if the were just sold out or if its only in selected stores. Couldn't find anything on Lidl's website either.

Yep - there was a good pile of them in Lidl Bray this morning. :)

http://leaflet.lidl.ie/480b243f-5a2d-4e01-8228-6bc1241d9cd7/#/4

The website is kind of unreliable since it got revamped but the leaflet is still pretty good.

• Advertisement

To be fair, the UK has very widespread good food and more choice compared to Ireland.
    Plenty of rubbish food too, though.

Nothing wrong with egg and chips. Your palate would probably kill for it right now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmm, cocunuts on sale in Lidl, and mangoes are on sale in Dunnes.

Will I throw up a recipe for coconut and mango stir fry?

EDIT:

It's a dessert :o

I'll throw it up in the random recipes thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Green-oniony glorious beef with udon noodles (again)
    ZJGxjLum.jpg
    Slowly building up a frozen stack of this sort of pesto. Mmmmm, free pesto foodish things to come:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Leftovers from a very disappointing sweet potato and spinach curry yesterday. It was a lot tastier than yesterday but still not great!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nothing wrong with egg and chips. Your palate would probably kill for it right now. ;)
    You should try the Northern English version, chips and egg, much nicer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had Pearl Barley with Spinach and Pork mince. I've made it before but this time it was extra tasty for some reason. Loads leftover for tomorrow's dinner so I'll have it with the Mackerel fillets that I was supposed to have tonight.

310413.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

We had roasted duck tonight with garlic and chive butter baby potatoes and carrots and parsnip. Also made some thyme and chive stuffing to go with it.

I have so many chives at the moment, I have to add them to everything!

Tonight we had steamed new Italian potatoes, grilled mushrooms, tomatoes and smoked streaky bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Had a fridge-clearing dinner tonight.

Chopped up almost a full bag of rooster spuds, seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika and put them into oven.

Fried some chorizo, put aside, fried celery, mushrooms, broccoli, and mangetout in the chorizo oil. Threw in a load of ground dried chilli, tomato puree and tinned chopped tomatoes. Put the chorizo back in and added halved cherry toms. Popped the pan into the oven with the spuds.

The kitchen smelled SO GOOD while it was all in the oven! Served with an ice cold beer. Super delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Any chance of the recipe?

But of course!

SPAG BOL

Here's how I make it (with the slow cooker). I usually make a big batch and use it for a lasagne with the remainder going into freezer bags as spag bol.

1. Switch the Slow Cooker to High

2. Put 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and a decent glass of wine into a glass jug and (shock horror) microwave for 2 minutes. The reason I do this is that I find the slow cooker takes ages just to get up to simmering point (over an hour) and this helps it get there.

3. Transfer to the Slow Cooker

4. In batches, brown mince on the frying pan, tipping each lot into the slow cooker as you go. I use lean lamb mince and find it gives a lovely flavour

5. Add sliced carrot and celery to the frying pan for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften. Add sliced onion, garlic and mushroom and fry for another minute or so (again until the onion softens). Tip into the slow cooker

6. Add a good squeeze of tomato puree and mixed herbs to the slow cooker.

When the Spag Bol starts to bubble in the slow cooker, turn it down to Low and leave as long as you like.

Serve on a bed of spaghetti with grated parmesan on top and enjoy! :)

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Yep as far as i know it's in all stores, it's on their site as well i think:
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-C54B86E8-50BA1D9A/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/3245.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I had Pearl Barley with Spinach and Pork mince. I've made it before but this time it was extra tasty for some reason. Loads leftover for tomorrow's dinner so I'll have it with the Mackerel fillets that I was supposed to have tonight.

Any chance of a recipe? I want to eat more pearl barley, but am reasonably rubbish at cooking it!

The last few nights have been salad leaves plus whatever is in the fridge.
    Tonight, though, had early bird in Hot Stove in Parnell Sq, Dublin.
    3 courses - 30quid.
    Asparagus Risotto. Ham shoulder pithivier with puy lentils and artichokes. Fabulous bailey's profiteroles with nut/chocolate crunch.
    Bread at start of meal the only thing that let them down!

My companions had a rhubard sorbet/tart/stew dessert combo that was also delicious.

Very good value, and, was a very nice replacement for Chapter One's pre-theatre which was booked out.

Warm salad of chorizo, beans and potato. While I was making it I realised I'd made it before and it was horrible - the dressing was really bitter. Added some honey and used a lot less dressing. Very nice this time.

6E036CC1-780E-470D-A177-D2E63EBFACBB_zpsz4ll7244.jpg

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Any chance of a recipe? I want to eat more pearl barley, but am reasonably rubbish at cooking it!

There ya go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Scalloped potatoes (seasoned, baked, then fried to get them crispy), fillet steak and hollandaise sauce.

2014_06_11_20_46_56.jpg

2014_06_11_20_46_47.jpg

2014_06_11_20_47_07.jpg

• Advertisement

Tonight we had smoked boiled bacon, cabbage, brussels sprouts, carrots, broccoli and mashed potatoes.
    Loire wrote: »
    But of course!

SPAG BOL

Here's how I make it (with the slow cooker). I usually make a big batch and use it for a lasagne with the remainder going into freezer bags as spag bol.

1. Switch the Slow Cooker to High

2. Put 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and a decent glass of wine into a glass jug and (shock horror) microwave for 2 minutes. The reason I do this is that I find the slow cooker takes ages just to get up to simmering point (over an hour) and this helps it get there.

3. Transfer to the Slow Cooker

4. In batches, brown mince on the frying pan, tipping each lot into the slow cooker as you go. I use lean lamb mince and find it gives a lovely flavour

5. Add sliced carrot and celery to the frying pan for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften. Add sliced onion, garlic and mushroom and fry for another minute or so (again until the onion softens). Tip into the slow cooker

6. Add a good squeeze of tomato puree and mixed herbs to the slow cooker.

When the Spag Bol starts to bubble in the slow cooker, turn it down to Low and leave as long as you like.

Serve on a bed of spaghetti with grated parmesan on top and enjoy! :)

Loire.
    Thanks a million. I've no microwave -would a few minutes in a saucepan work? Or maybe if I heated the slow cooker up before adding in any food so its nice and warm when the food is put in?

Had Mackerel for the first time, ridiculous that I've left it this long really, I've even caught it loads of times!
    It's actually really nice, although quite heavy I felt. I think it'd hold a lot of spice, so lots of chilli next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had Mackerel for the first time, ridiculous that I've left it this long really, I've even caught it loads of times!
    It's actually really nice, although quite heavy I felt. I think it'd hold a lot of spice, so lots of chilli next time.

One of my favourite fish! We take our boat out and catch lots during the season and then take it home and smoke it. Next time try it with horeradish, it's a marriage made in heaven :)

I had a cheese sandwich for dinner last night. Made with crusty white bread, mature cheddar that was tangy, delicious and covered with salt crystals and slathered in Colemans English mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I love freshly caught whole mackerel (head & guts removed) poached gently in salty water for 8-10 minutes & then served with white pepper & malt vinegar with a couple of slices of brown bread. Basic, but delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thanks a million. I've no microwave -would a few minutes in a saucepan work? Or maybe if I heated the slow cooker up before adding in any food so its nice and warm when the food is put in?

It would. It's not even necessary, I just find it makes the process a little quicker, which I know is ironic as I'm still using the slow cooker for hours!

Merkin wrote: »
    One of my favourite fish! We take our boat out and catch lots during the season and then take it home and smoke it. Next time try it with horeradish, it's a marriage made in heaven :)
    I love freshly caught whole mackerel (head & guts removed) poached gently in salty water for 8-10 minutes & then served with white pepper & malt vinegar with a couple of slices of brown bread. Basic, but delicious.
    I'll definitely give both a try. Cheers.

Only downside was the kitchen stank of fish this morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'll definitely give both a try. Cheers.

Only downside was the kitchen stank of fish this morning!!
    After you finish cooking your fish, make sure any fishy remains are put straight out to the outside bin. Then boil some white vinegar mixed with water in a saucepan with no lid, that absorbs a lot of odours.

After you finish cooking your fish, make sure any fishy remains are put straight out to the outside bin. Then boil some white vinegar mixed with water in a saucepan with no lid, that absorbs a lot of odours.

Cheers but I think it was more to do with the way that I cooked it tbh. I cooked it skin side down in a smoking hot griddle pan. The kitchen was very smokey when I was done. I lit a scented candle after I was finished though, which did seem to help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Haven't been able to take my dinner photos for the last week, but here it goes:

Saturday: Kenny Rogers Roasters Chicken with salad, Mac & cheese and coleslaw, and mushroom sauce. The whole thing was very poor but ate them out of respect of the company I was with.

Sunday: I made Bihun Goreng (Fried Vermicelli noodles) laced with mountains of beansprouts, just the way I like it, and three prawns that my mother left in the freezer for some unexplainable reason.

Monday: Murtabak - spiced minced lamb and egg filing in a crispy roti pastry, with mild curry dip and pickled rose Shallot.

Tuesday: Fried Catfish, tossed with slow fried birds eye chillies and fresh pounded turmeric sambal, with Jasmine rice. Also sauteed snake beans in oyster sauce.

Wednesday: Maggi instant noodles, curry flavour.

Tonight: tender beef stir fry in ginger and spring onion, turmeric chicken, stir fried kai lan greens, and boiled rice. And about a litre of ice lemon tea as it was just so so hot today. Thanks El Niño.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Dinner for one today so I had a chicken fillet burger (not breaded) with mild salsa and lettuce, Spicy chips and a bit of bacon. Was half way through before I got a pic :pac: It was really nice. Finished off with a Mars Ice Cream bar too.
    10462565_741265872582306_1703045681472327485_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement