Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Chicken Fried Cauliflower rice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lidl's cheap and cheerful 5 minute Prawn Penne Arrabiata

1 Carton of Lidl pre cooked prawns
    1 Chilli selected to your taste from a punnet of mixed chillis (I use 1 habanero or hotter)
    1/2 a Jar of Lidl Passata
    1 Carton of fresh lidl Penne
    1 or 2 Cloves Crushed Garlic

Dice the chilli, crush the garlic, add to pan of hot oil and stir for a minute, add the prawns and stir for a further minute, add the Passata and leave to simmer for 3-4 minutes while you add the fresh pasta to a saucepan of boiling water and simmer for 3-4 mins. Drain the Pasta, stir into the sauce and serve.

1000 calories in the full portion above if very hungry, for a lighter meal share between 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

BBQ chilli sweet potato wedges with a sweet chilli salmon fillet and plenty of alfalfa shoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I tried the Aldi Specially Selected Korma sauce, with chicken and red pepper. The spices in the lid reeked of cloves, which worried me slightly, but the end result was lovely.

That being said, it wasn't the most korma-like korma I've ever had. But it was quick and tasty nonetheless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

First "garden salad" from my raised beds last night :D - spinach, lettuce, mixed herbs.

Had this with roast Cod, wilted spinach, roasted potatoes with rosemary and roasted tomatoes.

Given the weather we had I opened a bottle of Cotes du Layon and we finished it off outside...lovely hurling :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A thrown together antipasti with salami, olives, feta, stuffed peppers, parma harm, Belgian cheeses and a few other cured meats.

Then a very silly amount of Jupiler beer trying to get all the Belgian teem players that are featured on the cans at the moment.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

.Kovu. wrote: »
    A thrown together antipasti with salami, olives, feta, stuffed peppers, parma harm, Belgian cheeses and a few other cured meats.

Then a very silly amount of Jupiler beer trying to get all the Belgian teem players that are featured on the cans at the moment.:o

I haven't been able to go near Jupiler since 'The Night of the €1 Jupilers' in a backpackers' in Brussels....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Loire wrote: »
    First "garden salad" from my raised beds last night :D - spinach, lettuce, mixed herbs.

Had this with roast Cod, wilted spinach, roasted potatoes with rosemary and roasted tomatoes.

Given the weather we had I opened a bottle of Cotes du Layon and we finished it off outside...lovely hurling :)

Speaking of home grown, I had this little beauty the other day!

310718.jpg

The FIL planted a raised bed out in the sun trap of a back garden in our new house. Should have a regular supply of super juicy strawberries over the next couple of months! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Speaking of home grown, I had this little beauty the other day!

The FIL planted a raised bed out in the sun trap of a back garden in our new house. Should have a regular supply of super juicy strawberries over the next couple of months! :)

Don't forget to put straw under them or they'll rot/the slugs will have them. I usually buy a pack of straw for under my courgettes in the pet shop.

Don't forget to put straw under them or they'll rot/the slugs will have them. I usually buy a pack of straw for under my courgettes in the pet shop.

That is not something I knew I had to do. I'm more of an eater than a grower!

• Advertisement

I have strawberries growing in pots - 6 pots I think. They are in an Aldi greenhouse (tent). I've been watering them religiously and nothing yet....:eek:

Loire wrote: »
    I have strawberries growing in pots - 6 pots I think. They are in an Aldi greenhouse (tent). I've been watering them religiously and nothing yet....:eek:

The FIL has a couple of homemade box planters (from old pallets) in his own garden and the plants are only half the size of ours. We're just lucky cos the back garden is a total sun trap from morning to night. I was just looking at them at lunch time and there are loads waiting to ripen! :pac:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The FIL has a couple of homemade box planters (from old pallets) in his own garden and the plants are only half the size of ours. We're just lucky cos the back garden is a total sun trap from morning to night. I was just looking at them at lunch time and there are loads waiting to ripen! :pac:

A gigantic bowl of whipped cream now and you're sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

If you have lots of them, make a strawberry and rhubarb crumble Bazmo. Food heaven! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Me and 4 friends went out for tapas yesterday, lovely as always. I will be recreating some of the dishes we had, so good.

Pulled pork
    Grilled goats cheese
    BBQ steak strips
    Roasted sweet potato with chorizo and Montgomery cheese
    Squid in tempura batter
    Chocolate chilli beef
    Monkfish with sweet potato fries
    Gnocchi grilled with garlic and cheese (really nice and filling)
    Chorizo fried with red wine
    Patas bravas

For dessert we got 4 between us that were not finished.

Apple and cinnamon chimmichongas with strawberries
    Grilled strawberry and marshmallows with coconut ice cream and butterscotch
    Mojito and white chocolate cheesecake mousse on an Oreo base
    Chocolate, vanilla, homemade Martini ice cream, in a swirl in a Martini glass.

I will be trying the gnochi, sweet potato and steak strips at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night I had roasted chicken thighs with a salt & paprika rub. On the side was a salad of watercress, radishes, scallions, cherry tomatoes & shredded cabbage in French dressing.

Tonight will be minute steaks flash-fried & sliced, then served with stir-fried noodles with bamboo shoots, scallions, garlic, ginger & coriander with a splash of teriyaki & a load of fresh chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was Korean Fried Chicken. Bite sized of chicken thigh dredged in potato flour and cornflour then deep fried. Rolled in hot sauce and honey. Brown rice and a slaw of fennel, red cabbage and beanshoots dressed with chilli vinaigrette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Really horrible bruschetta in a pub (basically a par baked cuisine de france roll smothered in pesto, bad tomatoes and grated mozzarella and stuck under a grill. So not bruschetta at all but not sure what I expected ordering it in a pub). Then toast a couple of hours later. All the food groups covered!

Beef dumplings and salty squid. Decided to get two starters when out, so yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Made a really hearty soup by frying spring onion, garlic, red pepper, cherry tomato, allspice, dried oregano and medium curry powder and adding veg stock, coconut milk, kidney and borlotti beans, chickpeas and lemon juice. Scrumdiddlyumptious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Toad in the hole with shredded cabbage and onion gravy. I made rhubarb crumble tart yesterday so we'll have some of that with custard later when we're able for it :)
    The photo's rubbish because I was in a hurry!

2vwzrl2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Toad in the hole with shredded cabbage and onion gravy. I made rhubarb crumble tart yesterday so we'll have some of that with custard later when we're able for it :)
    The photo's rubbish because I was in a hurry!

<mod pic snip>

I was watching Celebrity MasterChef on Thursday too! ;)

We're having fish with sweet potato chips tonight. I've got the deep fat fryer on to blanch chips and batter made so it can sit for a while and so I am sitting here eating battered jalapenos with salt and jalapeno brine in place of vineger. Oh my.

I wish I had an accompanying beer but way too much project work to be doing

CBDC87B9-37F1-4512-89D7-32BF8DA8492A_zpstdxgw0bl.jpg

We started out with some bruschetta

416C271A-5E4E-4722-AEA6-220EACC1392A_zpsj1sezaif.jpg

Then moved on to sweet potato chips with salmon & cod

D7441658-04EB-47C4-B439-505E012858C3_zpslcg1mhu4.jpg

FF5AB3FB-9CBA-490A-A333-49ACAAF4473D_zpsqvpvgmra.jpg

(As you can see from the fish I need to clean out my fryer!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Today we had pulled pork burgers with barbeque sauce. A few chips and salad too, just to fill the plate.

First time trying pulled pork, it was great!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pizza. Sauce was passata with fresh basil. Mushrooms, peppers, cheese, olives, lardons, prawns, chorizo and onions on top. The kids wouldn't have been eating the second one, so I threw some chilli flakes on top. Beautiful. We love pizza day.

BDEE87F31F8C44E78CCC9A5D036D4AA6-0000324795-0003587634-00800L-BF7C5D136C434BD184935B19350FCE0D.jpg

F8916A79506F42C2A50F14F230905276-0000324795-0003587633-00800L-9A04995EC235401AA3CEB72D32EBE595.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fillet steak (from Lidl, very delicious), steamed new potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans and sweetcorn, with a pepper cream sauce. Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Fillet steak rare and thinly sliced. Served it as a salad with leaves, tomato, roast hazelnuts and crumbled stilton. Had a quinoa salad as second dish, with king prawns, chilli, parsley and lime juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Rib eye steak with steamed new potatoes and carrots for us last night.

• Advertisement

Enchiladas with loads of cheese!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement