Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Dont normally go for pre-pack meat let alone Fillet Steak but saw some very tempting pieces in Dunnes Specially Selected on Saturday afternoon. Thought I would give them a go with limited expectations but worked out well. Surprisingly flavoursome for a fillet and somehow I managed to have them cooked medium rate without any shouting or fires breaking out.

Served with sweet potato chips (only ok) and sautéed mushrooms (overdone) so the meat was the stand out. Would recommend Dunnes (which I never thought I would) for their SS steaks which are also quite reasonably priced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A tuna salad with some pizza bread. Eaten sitting at my back step enjoying a lovely summer evening. And a dirty great vodka tonic to celebrate handing in my penultimate project

9D4CD352-9A11-41FA-9D97-21680FA27E42_zpsqk5x2xhg.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ribs and burgers from the barbecue with Himself posing nearby with a tongs. Roasted potato cubes, roast veg and salad all prepared by me in the sweltering kitchen.
    Ah, isn't it great when the men barbecue.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Soul Bakery spelt toast, "buttered" with mashed potato salad (Smitten Kitchen's Tzatziki Potato Salad), topped with chunks of slow roasted pork belly, some leaves of carmelised onion (that I'd used as a trivet for the pork, so they were filled to capacity with juicy pork goodness) and sprinkled with shards of the best crackling I've ever managed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Tabbouleh (couscous, cucumber, yellow pepper, black olives, mint and olive oil) and a Tielle Setoise

Nice and light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Went to The Vintage Kitchen on Friday for a friend's birthday lunch. Had been dying to try this place for ages and was delighted when I rang on Thursday and managed to book a table.

I had supreme of chicken with creamed onion and chorizo, and sauteed potatoes. One of my friends had crayfish salad with mussels and my other friend had chowder and duck liver pate (two starters instead of a main course). One coffee was ordered, and the bill came to a total of...€33! For lunch, all starters are €5 and all mains are €10 (desserts are also €5 but we didn't order anything). It also has a BYO policy and they don't charge corkage so we washed it all down with a bottle of prosecco.

Can't recommend it enough, it's a real hidden gem and I would have happily paid double for what I had. Only got a picture of my own dish...

4LsP1JG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I wasn't sure what I wanted for dinner the other day the only certainty was that I wanted it to be absolutely nutritionally devoid.
    So, shredded chicken with hot sauce in a bap (Johnson Mooney and O'Brien, very very nice and I'm not a huge bread lover) and the ol' reliable potato skins with bacon and cheese. Spring onion to garnish and a hefty dollop of sour cream on the side. I ate it all, then had a nap. It was awesome.

2ymx8aa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jamie Oliver's 30 minute Asian salmon and noodle broth. Delicious, and I managed to do it inside the 30 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

kylith wrote: »
    Jamie Oliver's 30 minute Asian salmon and noodle broth. Delicious, and I managed to do it inside the 30 minutes!

His 30 minute chicken satay skewers always take me about an hour.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ribs and burgers from the barbecue with Himself posing nearby with a tongs. Roasted potato cubes, roast veg and salad all prepared by me in the sweltering kitchen.
    Ah, isn't it great when the men barbecue.... :D

Could have been worse, himself could have being posing nearby in a THONG !!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

His 30 minute chicken satay skewers always take me about an hour.........:rolleyes:
    Usually it takes me double the time because I don't have a food processor. I cheated a bit by using a jar of minced garlic and ginger, it's much faster

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

After much chicken with 40 cloves of garlic researching, I made Nigella's one. Which is very handy in that you use chicken thighs rather than a full chicken. Very tasty with some fresh bread and green salad.

2014-06-16185211.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jerk chicken (nom!) and corn on the cob, grilled and eaten outdoors.

bbq-jerk-chicken.jpg

('scuse the scruffy picture...)

Made some Focaccia bread to go with a Greek salad this evening. Topped with black olives and red onion with balsamic and olive oil.

9A391585-AB64-4D39-96F2-C9E00E10F73B_zpsbd4abxly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Went to The Vintage Kitchen on Friday for a friend's birthday lunch. Had been dying to try this place for ages and was delighted when I rang on Thursday and managed to book a table.

I had supreme of chicken with creamed onion and chorizo, and sauteed potatoes. One of my friends had crayfish salad with mussels and my other friend had chowder and duck liver pate (two starters instead of a main course). One coffee was ordered, and the bill came to a total of...€33! For lunch, all starters are €5 and all mains are €10 (desserts are also €5 but we didn't order anything). It also has a BYO policy and they don't charge corkage so we washed it all down with a bottle of prosecco.

Can't recommend it enough, it's a real hidden gem and I would have happily paid double for what I had. Only got a picture of my own dish...

http://i.imgur.com/4LsP1JG.jpg
    Looks lovely but very fiddly to eat I'd imagine? Surely they've used the wrong type of plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Looks lovely but very fiddly to eat I'd imagine? Surely they've used the wrong type of plate?

I did nearly topple my plate trying to cut one of the potatoes on the side of it :D So yeah it wasn't the best shaped plate for the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I went to the pub this evening to watch the Football & sampled some of the grub on offer. I started with schweinswurst & potato salad, then finished with curry wurst (amazing homemade sauce!). I didn't quite have the room left to complete 'the trinity' by going for the massive hot dog they were also doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Had some spicy grill steaks tonight with balsamic brocolli and sugarsnap peas. The steaks were so tender and juicy.

A 'Thank you Freezer' night, vegetable chili and a pitta bread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Chicken breast marinated in Reggae Reggae BBQ sauce, served with baked new potatoes and stir fry vegetables (orange/red/green peppers, red onion, carrot, and french beans)

A knob of butter in the baked potato and yum !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

A freezer clean-out night here too, had chicken fried rice and duck spring rolls, very little effort but really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I did nearly topple my plate trying to cut one of the potatoes on the side of it :D So yeah it wasn't the best shaped plate for the dish.

I have really enjoyed meals in the vintage kitchen, but have run the risk every time of destroying my plate, and my lap, as I attempted to slice perfectly roasted veg that teetered on the edge of a bowl-plate! They don't seem to have many actual plates, just these hybrids that are not the most user friendly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Lemon salmon fillet with roasted garlic brocolli and chilli courgette spaghetti.

First time making courgette spaghetti and it was so tasty.

A warm salad of rosemary chicken, lettuce, toms, cucumber, scallion, mixed nuts and apple. Served with a Mediterranean wrap.

89BBE637-EF43-42C2-8B9C-F55EF9C0B439_zpso9ocidxn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Pang wrote: »
    Lemon salmon fillet with roasted garlic brocolli and chilli courgette spaghetti.

First time making courgette spaghetti and it was so tasty.
    Mmm sounds lovely, do you have a recipe for that?

The plan last night was for soft tacos with chicken goujons (trashy Tesco ones) and a corn & bean salsa but my salsa turned into a lovely chickpea salad by accident (tomato, chickpeas, lots of limejuice, coriander, feta, ripe avocado, crispy chorizo, corn & onion.) so had a big bowl of that while telling the cat that he couldn't possibly understand how nice my dinner was.

Love when you accidentally make something that tastes so good you know you'll be seeing it reg'lar. Especially if this hot weather (please, please, please) keeps up and I remain disinterested in being anywhere near a hot oven

F64260F2-F02F-4DB9-B902-2AF407B2F6F3_zpseyzgpd4q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was huge free rang pork chops done on the gas bbq/grill.
    Steamed new potatoes.
    Tomatoes.
    Green salad (not pictured)
    Coriander dressing/sauce.

6C7vwg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From a few nights ago.
    As mentioned in another thread : 2 rare flat iron steaks.
    Rocket. Tomatoes. Homemade pickles. Vinaigrette.

7wz7ph.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thrown together - chicken, bacon, ginger, garlic, spring onion, red chili, chicken stock and Creme fraiche with a huge handful of coriander stirred in at the end. It was delicious!

F2C2F19D-FEF6-440A-A3E7-FD1E475F9165_zpsvkcrqmev.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Levi Roots pork burgers with prawns - oh wow oh wow oh wow!

pork-burgers.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement