Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sweet Jebus! Do you have a recipe for the burger mix, purleaassseeee?
    Had a quick google, but couldn't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Excuse the terrible quality of the photo.

It was clear out the fridge day today. We had some puff pastry, so we made jambons from them and a shoddy excuse of a side salad (that looks exactly like an irish mammy salad, and we were running out of supplies too).

One filling had the usually cheese and ham, we used bacon bits, little bit of cheddar and little bit of feta. The other had mushrooms, onions and a bit of left over cheese. I love the pastry so i always get the closed up ones, i should have got a picture of the others where you could see the filling. :o

14430601796_ac170ac91b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

The fruits of a successful(and costly) trip to the English Market. We had some chicken liver pate, butterbean salad, goats cheese, boquerones,semi sundried tomatoes, basil hummus, Moroccan black olives, rocket and some seed topped arbutus bread.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sweet Jebus! Do you have a recipe for the burger mix, purleaassseeee?
    Had a quick google, but couldn't find it.

Will post in the morning. Quite possibly the best burgers I've ever eaten - fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Will post in the morning. Quite possibly the best burgers I've ever eaten - fantastic.

Ok its the morning.............. Wheres the bloody recipe??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oscarBravoviewpost.gif
    Ok its the morning.............. Wheres the bloody recipe??? biggrin.png

yea where is it?! we want the recipe, we want the recipe!!:p

Alright, calm down... ;)

200g small cooked & peeled prawns
    5x3cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
    2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    1tbsp snipped chives
    2 spring onions, roughly chopped
    ½ scotch bonnet, seeded and chopped
    1tsp salt
    500g minced pork
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Put the prawns, ginger, garlic, chives, spring onion, scotch bonnet and salt in a food processor and whizz to a paste, scraping down the sides. Tip the paste into a large bowl and mix well with the pork and egg. Form into six 10cm diameter/2cm thick patties. Chill for at least ten minutes. Brush with oil and bbq for about 5 minutes a side, turning a couple of times to make sure they're cooked through.

The recipe calls for serving them in buns with pineapple chunks, sweet chilli sauce, lettuce and mayonnaise.

Now, Her Indoors improvised the recipe a bit, notably because she couldn't find chives. She also used a small red chilli instead of a scotch bonnet - they were still quite spicy (particularly from the ginger), but deliciously so. We didn't put pineapple on them, because yuck. A mango salsa might have made a delicious side, though.

Do be careful not to overcook them - ours were just cooked through, and beautifully moist. Obviously don't undercook them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Lawd that sounds delish! On the list for this weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Alright, calm down... ;)

200g small cooked & peeled prawns
    5x3cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
    2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    1tbsp snipped chives
    2 spring onions, roughly chopped
    ½ scotch bonnet, seeded and chopped
    1tsp salt
    500g minced pork
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Put the prawns, ginger, garlic, chives, spring onion, scotch bonnet and salt in a food processor and whizz to a paste, scraping down the sides. Tip the paste into a large bowl and mix well with the pork and egg. Form into six 10cm diameter/2cm thick patties. Chill for at least ten minutes. Brush with oil and bbq for about 5 minutes a side, turning a couple of times to make sure they're cooked through.

The recipe calls for serving them in buns with pineapple chunks, sweet chilli sauce, lettuce and mayonnaise.

Now, Her Indoors improvised the recipe a bit, notably because she couldn't find chives. She also used a small red chilli instead of a scotch bonnet - they were still quite spicy (particularly from the ginger), but deliciously so. We didn't put pineapple on them, because yuck. A mango salsa might have made a delicious side, though.

Do be careful not to overcook them - ours were just cooked through, and beautifully moist. Obviously don't undercook them either!
    Sounds lovely! I think it could be adapted to make some nice dumplings too...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Could you just use a red pepper instead of a scotch bonnet? Not too gone on chilli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Soup noodles.
    Chicken stock, ginger, garlic, lemon grass, carrot, shallot, shiitake mushroom, pak choi, prawns, chicken, rice glass noodles, spring onion, fresh coriander and homemade pickled green chillies.

7eaJ53.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Alright, calm down... ;)

You sir, are a legend and now on my Christmas card list.

Cheers OB.

leahyl wrote: »
    Could you just use a red pepper instead of a scotch bonnet? Not too gone on chilli
    You can play with it to your heart's content. I wouldn't use a whole red pepper, it's much too big and will mess with the balance of the burger, but maybe a quarter of one or less.

If it's the heat of chillies you don't like, do take note of the rather large amount of fresh ginger in them, but also keep in mind that the cooking mellows the heat somewhat.

Ours had a plain old red chilli in, and was just lovely. I honestly don't think I'd ever bother with a scotch bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Slow cooker chicken, chickpea & chorizo stew, topped with a buttery fried egg.

food1_zps616fb084.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Coronation chicken naan wraps with Indian slaw
    8ACA92D7-1FB9-427F-959B-B639300E8BD8_zps1b6kjt3j.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Asian Noodle salad with mange tout, onions, peanuts, broccoli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Was out for dinner so treated myself to a 3 course.

Lobster salad to start.
    Duck leg with woodear mushrooms and gnocci.
    Chocolate fondant, chocolate mousse and coffee icecream. So yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Spaghetti with king prawns, chilli, garlic, scaiiions and herbs from the garden. Simple and yum. Washed down with a nice Macon. Cigars and coteaux de Layon now as off tomorrow and heading to Fota for the Open!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

BBQ for past three nights running and completely forgot to take pics :(((

Thanks for the recipe OscarBravo!

Awesome tasty, spicy, flavorful, juicy burgers! Although being a chili head i'd add an extra 1/2 scotch bonnet next time ;)

IMAG0158_zpsc8af6da5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nice one! Unfortunately, I've come down with a crippling stomach bug, so I'll have to wait for another weekend before I make these. Cups of tea & ginger nut biscuits for me this weekend.

They went down so well that I'm gonna make up a dozen for the BBQ in the inlaws place Sunday (extra chili included to keep them on their toes :D)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

THB, hope that bug passes soon!!

I've been on 2 weeks holidays so I'm excited about getting back in the kitchen! I especially want to try OscarBravo's burgers!! Nom!!

Last night I just roasted a chicken, some potatoes and had it with broccoli and asparagus. 'twas plain, but damn nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Maybe it's because I was ravenous, but this dinner had some great balanced tastes.

Noodles, chickpeas, butter bean, soy sauce, onions (a full small one for one person :o) stir fryed.

Now, for the three parts, IMO, that brought it all together and is a really nice mix of spices. Garlic, chilli and the extra virgin olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Had a salad yesterday, chicken coated in chilli powder and cayenne pepper cooked in garlic and onions with some orange pepper thrown in, then added to a bowl of spinach, mixed leaves, salsa mix, avocado and pumpkin seeds with franks hot sauce poured mixed in :).

40cd1141-83c6-4259-8213-48e08aec7c2d_zps453bccfd.jpg

From the other night beef kebabs, pesto coleslaw and sweet potato salad.

4ee30179-2cf5-425b-9a8e-fc1b79fe98fd_zps929af1ea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Friday Night Treat!

Kids had fishfinger sandwiches we had Breaded Plaice in a Toasted Ciabatta with tartare and chilli sauce.

Messy heaven!! :)

E5D66D47-D451-4A6C-A43F-2EEC8AD80364_zpsrdnbmvoc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

A burger with plenty of cheddar and ketchup, and rosemary potato wedges. Followed up with two coolpops, cause it's summertime and it's the rules.

Diet starts Monday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Chilli turkey burgers with an avocado and rocket salad and corn on the cob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Levi Roots pork burgers with prawns - oh wow oh wow oh wow!

These, they were delicious. Thanks for putting up the recipe oscarBravo. We've even got a couple put aside for lunch tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tuna steak with lots of squeezed lemon, stuffed mushroom and green salad fresh from my parents garden.

IMAG0074_zpsbb20bb68.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement