Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

My dad bought steaks earlier. He text me while in work saying he gave me the smallest one.

I got home and it was massive then he put noodles with mushroom, spinach, onion, mange tout, broccoli and sun dried tomatoes in it, all cooked in the steak juices and it was well done, but i dont mind that it was still beautiful. I didnt finish it, im still so stuffed.

14451093486_b7e81d0d49.jpg

Thanks for the recipe OscarBravo! Delicious. Only thing though is my first two fell apart in the BBQ so I cooked the follow up burgers on tin foil instead, any suggestions on what to add to bulk them up?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dónal wrote: »
    Thanks for the recipe OscarBravo! Delicious. Only thing though is my first two fell apart in the BBQ so I cooked the follow up burgers on tin foil instead, any suggestions on what to add to bulk them up?

Hmm. Mine were a little delicate and definitely wanted to crumble on the grill, but with some TLC I was able to hold them together until they were cooked enough.

I guess cooking them on foil until they've firmed up and then finishing them over the flame would be a useful approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I'm in the west of Ireland on my holibobs and decided to be really adventurous- for the first time in my twenty five years on this planet I had FISH for dinner! Fish!
    Lemon sole in a light Guinness batter with baby potatoes and side salad.
    No picture because I was more nervous than I was sitting my driving test (actually not joking) but it was actually rather pleasant- not what I imagined fish to be like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Went ahead with the BBQ yesterday & managed a small portion of chicken breast myself. I cooked lashings of burgers, wings & sausages for the others. Sides were wedges, a carrot/rocket/mixed seed salad, & corn on the cob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From a few nights ago. Fried up left overs with some fresh herbs from the garden.

Shallot, garlic, cooked new potatoes, chicken thigh, pork chop, skinned tomatoes, spices (coriander, cumin, fennel seed, allspice, pepper) fresh coriander, oregano, chives and rocket (lots and lots of chopped fresh herbs).

Very tasty but not enough of it.

7bR5pg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Rough and ready - 2 Laughing Cow blue cheese melted mixed with a big tablespoon of wild garlic pesto mixed with penne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Went ahead with the BBQ yesterday & managed a small portion of chicken breast myself. I cooked lashings of burgers, wings & sausages for the others. Sides were wedges, a carrot/rocket/mixed seed salad, & corn on the cob.

Sign of a true Gent (or Lady) when you cook for others when not inclined to eat yourself. Fair play and hope the bug gets sorted (I hear Cognac is great for sorting these things out....;) or a decent grappa!)

Anyways fired up the BBQ myself last night given the evening that was in it. Funny enough enough the sun went in just after I lit the coals and then only returned as we were finishing.....

The jnrs had striploin loins (devoured) with baby spuds and string beans (not so much had). They myself and herself had butterflied leg of lamb, baby spuds, beetroot and carrot salads. Very nice but as only the 2nd BBQ of the season made the amateur mistake with the lamb of thinking 'sure it couldnt be done already' and getting a medium well as opposed to medium rare finish, still it was all eaten with plenty of leftovers......

And.....home butchered in fairness to myself my best deboning of a leg of lamb ever (ok ok taken at least 10 goes). Little or no waste, smaller piece in the freezer for later use along with some scrags for my beloved stir fries:o

Like many of my generation we learned lots of the basics from our dear Mamas but the basics of butchering (and I mean basics and the pros are artists here) I owe to the wonders of d'interweb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Roast chicken dinner followed by homemade chocolate cake and ice cream

Veg let it down some fresh veg would be nice but I'm clearing out my freezer at the moment

Tonight we had Carluccio's cheesy spinach balls with tagliatelle and courgette sauce:

courgette-spinach-pasta.jpg

Friday was pork fillet marinated in red onion and thyme and rolled in ground coffee, barbecued and served with "rice and peas":

coffee-pork.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Tonight's offerings included a huge joint of pulled pork (Hairy Bikers recipe), floury baps, baked potatoes, skewers of mini peppers done on the bbq and coleslaw. Devoured the lot apart from enough pork for the hubby to make his lunch with.
    Lazy dessert included a load of fresh cherries (2kg for €5 in Supervalu), mixed with greek yogurt and broken bits of meringue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Tonight was baked lemon and garlic salmon with steamed carrots and turmeric cauliflower rice.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Finally back to cooking some good food so on Saturday night I made my first attempt at a proper lasagne. When I make it, I leave the white sauce out because I don't use jars and never thought I'd be able to make the sauce from scratch so I tried it on Saturday and oh my holy Devine it was only amazing!! I made the Ragu on Friday night so on Saturday it was just fabulous and flavoursome. I followed a bord bia recipe for the bechamel and it was absolutely fine! The sauce was creamy and really added to the lasagne what I didn't realise I was missing! No pictures I'm afraid as I completely forgot then every single piece was devoured!

Last night was just a curry using leftover roasted chicken! Mega noms.

6gYCsw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

We had a hangover barbecue yesterday: burgers in mini ciabatta buns, sausages, coleslaw, baby new potatoes in mint and butter, and garlic bread.

I couldn't stop eating :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cheers kenco! I must stock up on my grappa. ;) I managed a lamb chop yesterday. Whoopee!

Burgers & sweet-chilli-chicken from the BBQ with a cous cous salad for the others.

I am down 9lbs since Thursday, but feeling much better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chicken stir-fry:

iveg5z.jpg

Twas delicious...didn't use any stir-fry sauce; find those too soggy, just used Schwartz Cajun Seasoning, black pepper and some soy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Yummy, easy dinner last night:

Spaghetti with parma ham:

Blitzed a tin of chopped tomatoes in the food processor with loads of garlic and herbs from the garden. Fried on a low heat for a few minutes, added some cream, tipped into the spagetti and swirled around. Popped on a bowl and topped with parma ham and parmesan. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Tonight we had Carluccio's cheesy spinach balls

Any chance of the recipe for this too? :)

Any chance of the recipe for this too? :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pastawithcourgettesa_93036 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Made oscarBravo's Pork & Prawn burgers for 13 members of herself's extended family yesterday evening, served in homemade brioche buns (with a little bit of fennel running though them) and washed down with some tasty homebrew.......... needless to say i'm in the good books :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Spaghetti bolognese with parmesan. I did the bolognese in the slow cooker for 9 hours, it was delicious.

IMAG0080_zpsb85aa3a9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Chicken and chorizo gratin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There are some days when nothing else will do....this is one of those days

004.jpg?t=1403460502

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Chicken tandoori which I had marinating from this morning, cucumber raita, spicy mango pickle and mango chutney served with pitta breads. Very handy dinner as low on effort but high on flavour.

Herself cooked dinner tonight: the leftover oscarbravo burgers oven cooked (they stayed together and tasted great!), parsnip chips, and a pepper and rocket salad. She loves those burgers, I have requests for next weekend in already.

Still felling a bit "delicate" after last nights BBQ so some comfort food was called for this evening

Cheese and ham toasty with chips, one of life's simple pleasures :D

IMAG0166_1_zps7e7d48b1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Elbow wrote: »
    Still felling a bit "delicate" after last nights BBQ so some comfort food was called for this evening

Cheese and ham toasty with chips, one of life's simple pleasures :D

And a ginger joe...niiiice :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Merkin wrote: »
    Chicken tandoori which I had marinating from this morning, cucumber raita, spicy mango pickle and mango chutney served with pitta breads. Very handy dinner as low on effort but high on flavour.

Ooh can you share the recipe for the tandoori chicken please? Looks amazing.

leahyl wrote: »
    And a ginger joe...niiiice :-D

3 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

A late, lazy supper of deliciously flaky, baked smoked haddock, served on a massive bed of rocket and flat leaf parsley.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement