Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

That's some monster meal for a warm evening!
    Two things I'd love you to elaborate on, if you please :
    Caramelized pearl barley.
    Panco coated egg yoke.

Portion looks a bit bigger in the pic than it was on the plate :D

Caramelized pearl barley - (Basically a barley risotto)

1: Barley in oven on preheated baking tray @190 for 15 minutes, shaking regularly
    2: Brown and soften a few shallots in a big knob of butter
    3: Add the barley to the shallots and leave on the heat for a few minutes to caramelize (Keep an eye on it though, It catches very quickly)
    4: Add a small glass of white wine to deglaze, leave the barley soak up the remainder
    5: Cover with mushroom stock and leave on a medium heat for a few minutes
    6: Stir, add more stock
    7: Keep repeating until the barley is cooked (roughly 45 minutes)

Don't get too carried away with the stirring, the barley should retain it's shape and stay separate

Panco coated egg yoke:

Simple but so nice!

1: Cover a plate in a layer of clingfilm
    2: Separate your eggs and pop the yokes on your plate
    3: Stick them in the freezer for an hour (making sure they aren't touching)
    4: Turn some panco breadcrumbs into a powder using a mortar and pestle.
    5: Beat another egg and season well
    6: Oil in a frying pan and get it fairly hot
    7: Dip your egg yoke into the beaten egg, then into the panco powder
    8: Straight into the pan, you want to brown them as quickly as possible to keep the yoke runny

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not the prettiest dinner I've ever made but one of the tastiest:D

Steamed globe artichoke with lemon butter to start (quite pretty).

Pork mince Thai(ish) curry with prawns and sugarsnaps (dogs dinner).

4Hp6by.jpg

4UpGKd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Here's a pic of our roast chicken dinner we had on Monday, instead of Sunday as it was too hot to have the oven on Sunday:

m6gyc.jpg

I made my own Yorkshire Puddings too which turned out so well...it was my first time making them and I was very impressed!

Here's a close-up:

hx3cqo.jpg

And then yesterday we had home-made sweet and sour pork..it was absolutely delicious and again, it was my first time making it.
    Truly yummy and low-fat!

a2d839.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Never cooked corned beef before - horrible memories of it with boiled cabbage when I was a kid.
    Tried this recipe and it wasn't half bad http://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/corned-beef
    Served it with crushed new potatoes, spinach and the veg from the beef. Quite tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

jos28 wrote: »
    Never cooked corned beef before - horrible memories of it with boiled cabbage when I was a kid.
    Tried this recipe and it wasn't half bad http://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/corned-beef
    Served it with crushed new potatoes, spinach and the veg from the beef. Quite tasty

It's funny; whenever I boil corned beef, it always tasted metallicy and rubbery but when my Dad cooks it, it's tender, falls apart and full of flavour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had spicy chicken & coconut soup with ginger, scallions, pak choi & a load of chillis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In between watching the nailbiting Brazil/Chile match, I managed to put together this little ****ing feast -
    Asian marinated spatchcock chicken, BBQ steaks, sausages, red cabbage slaw, garlic and maple syrup green beans, corn on the cob with Franks sauce and salsa.
    Washed down with loads of fighting lager of course ;)

B3F9FB7F-0146-448A-B4B7-FB992FCA8D1D_zpsfbx8ojc0.jpg

0A7DFD65-2044-44AB-A4BC-D55EAD332B66_zps6hvlcqi3.jpg

069D5534-D090-4416-A3A1-2B0A414A4068_zpsnqhk8w3z.jpg

OscarBravo burgers, bun, brie and ketchup, accompanied by corn on the cob.

8q7iDB_thumb.jpg

Dessert was one of these: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/chocolate-souffle-cupcakes-with-mint-cream/

57npyP_thumb.jpg

Incredibly satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I love smitten kitchen but haven't seen that recipe before, looks divine!
    How would you rate them?

I give them five Noms up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Ran my first official 5k yesterday so I treated myself - early bird in Wuff in Smithfield.

Got the tempura beef for starters - divine! Served with a lovely big rockety salad and sweet chilli dressing. So flavoursome.

Got a roast chicken breast dish for mains and it was SO GOOD. Really tender meat, crispy skin, served beautifully with little cubed spuds, chorizo, peas, more rocket, and a wee bit of basil pesto that was bursting with flavour. It was a feast for my eyes and my ravenous belly.

My mate had the spiced turnip soup and steak with Caesar chips, which he said were both only handsome.

In between watching the nailbiting Brazil/Chile match, I managed to put together this little ****ing feast -
    Asian marinated spatchcock chicken, BBQ steaks, sausages, red cabbage slaw, garlic and maple syrup green beans, corn on the cob with Franks sauce and salsa.
    Washed down with loads of fighting lager of course ;)

Looks fab.

However, despite all your meat grilling, football, foul language and beer that post has four giveaways that you are really female:

1. It was eaten "al fresco"; table, napkins, cutlery et al.
    2. You have an olive oil based spread on the table.
    3. You used maple syrup on vegetables.
    4. No sign of the beer.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You forgot to mention the cup of green tea. A definite sign. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

And the obviously photoshopped masculine hand...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had a wee dinner party last night and ate some great food. We may have use our Nutribullet to make some frozen daquiris also.

Bruschetta to start.

bruschetta_zps9065a3f6.jpg

Then we had swordfish with pesto, courgettes with mint & chilli, also a big green salad and french-style potato salad (I used an Ina Garten recipe, it was amazing).

swordfish_zps98823093.jpg

Afterwards we had the most ridiculously indulgent dessert I've ever made; a four-layer chocolate Kahlua cheesecake. Chocolate crust, layer of chocolate ganache, layer of cheesecake filling, layer of sweetened sour cream. I was delighted with how it turned out.

cheesecake_zps80b0f2dc.jpg

I just ate the wee bit of leftover swordfish with some of the salad for lunch. Feckin lovely.

leftovers_zpsd9097e0b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That cheesecake looks delish!! Care to share the recipe? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

You forgot to mention the cup of green tea. A definite sign. ;)

How did I miss that?

There's a lot of corn on the cob knocking about here.
    We had a late lunch/pre early dinner of corn on the cob followed a while later by:

Baked ray wings with butter, lemon, thyme, onion and white wine.
    Fennel braised in butter, garlic, lemon and white wine.
    Tomato and garlic salad.
    Steamed new spuds.

5kU3BP.jpg

7UTszM.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Just made OscarBravo's pork and prawn burgers, OMG, they are lovely!
    They'll be made again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Just made OscarBravo's pork and prawn burgers, OMG, they are lovely!
    They'll be made again! :)

OscarBravo Burgers has a nice ring to it.... Judging by all the talk I'm going to have to try these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Last night's dinner: Chicken Curry adapted from a Nigel Slater recipe - he uses apricots, I opted for peaches.

6A28210F94AA4FC59F0555070C52F7FB-0000353053-0003598587-00800L-1C590149384448919A3DC8EC1767D79D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

And today's dinner: a quiche with mince and tomatoes (halved tomatoes are stuffed with a mince mixture, makes it look quite pretty) and a green side salad

17B1E73B5ADD4D5AA1BFBB164089F846-0000353053-0003598588-00800L-CAE711116759488296B07CA5C299CD63.jpg

Sausages, steamed new spuds, onion gravy, grilled tomatoes, shredded fried sweetheart cabbage.

6c44J4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Afterwards we had the most ridiculously indulgent dessert I've ever made; a four-layer chocolate Kahlua cheesecake. Chocolate crust, layer of chocolate ganache, layer of cheesecake filling, layer of sweetened sour cream. I was delighted with how it turned out.

This may seem an odd comment but I *love* how aesthetically pleasing and striking this cheesecake slice is, like different shades of gray. I can't stop looking at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Pulled Pork on bread with taco sauce

14565145243_a7bf6b2532.jpg

Snap ... Pulled pork sambo also wasn't nice I have to say but whipped up a sponge dessert for the kids.

Forgot to add pic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

7ue4tM.jpg

Cakamari Yummy

82Gpsc.jpg

rump of lamb.

5ayCfw.jpg

tirimarsu

nice presentation, but small.... very..

Nice meal, good service but...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Oblomov wrote: »
    Nice meal, good service but...

But what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

The lamb was a little "tough".. Tiranisu, all the right parts but.. lady biscuits at the bottem and soggy,,, I prefer some crispness... Not sure if I would go back again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement