Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The madras one is OK, but I think the nicest is the Jalfrezi if you can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

pampootie wrote: »
    I don't know if they're available everywhere yet but if you see the green saffron range it's all amazing, the spice mixes in particular but the jars are good too. I've seen them in dunnes in cork or you can buy off the website

Tried Tikka Masala and Korma in jars, both are very sweet to my liking.
    I still have their ground spices for Tandoori in the press.
    They're available in Superquinn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

God I love the Aldi tikka masala, however I'm no connoisseur of curry it has to be said. My preference in terms of Indian food has always been for the sweet, creamy sauces though.

I find it constantly fascinating how different people's tastes can be. I must see about reading up on the hows and whys behind it.

Everyone's having bolognese from the other night, but I wasn't up for another pasta dish third night in a row. So I deep fried a few spiral curry puffs I had made and frozen two weeks ago. Made two kinds of filling -- One with sardine sambal, and the other with the more traditional curried potato and mince.

karipappusing_zpsa8a17e8f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I had what is referred to in my house as "cheese onion pie"

Sliced potatoes and onions baked in milk with cheese on top. But I put in sliced fennel as I had it and also heated the milk first and put in crushed garlic and a chicken stock pot.

Cheap as chips and yummy too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Spiral Yum

They look amazing Mrs Fox. Pretty as a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mrs Fox, how do you make those? They look very delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

[QUOTE

I find it constantly fascinating how different people's tastes can be[/QUOTE]

Its brilliant!

Minder wrote: »
    Mrs Fox, how do you make those? They look very delicious.

This would give you a detailed pictorial guide, although I used a slightly different recipe for the dough. They are very very delicious :)

Edit: Just noticed in the link there that they skipped the bit where you should cook the filling first and let it cool before making the dough. Plus the recipe is for 48 pieces of puffs, so adjust accordingly. I halved it, they freeze very well. Google up for other similar recipes that might inspire you

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Inspired by this thread, I called into Aldi on the way home.
    For 6.50 I got Lamb Rogan Josh, from the spice topped jar, with Garlic and Naan Bread for 2!
    Absolutely delicious - and probably only took me 20mins from inside door to plate.
    I go to Namaste, an Indian here in Smithfield that has a superb, and deserved reputation. For half the price, I had a nearly-as-good meal at home. Consider me converted to the Aldi curry sauces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Mr Homemadecider made an absolutely awful aubergine chilli concoction in the slow cooker. I'm not an aubergine fan at the best of times, but this was so bad he wouldn't even eat it (and he is the least fussy eater ever). It went in the bin and we had the end of the Xmas chocolate for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It's my partner's birthday today so we had one of his favourite dinners. Pork 'wellington' (as in pork fillet smeared in dijon, wrapped in smoked ham and short crust pastry) and roast sweet potatoes. Soon I will go get the Colin the Catterpillar cake I have hidden in the spare bedroom out and tone deaf 'Happy Birthday' at him

1c581de8bd83949b_DSC_0258.preview.JPG

(Not my pic)

Was going to bake but our oven is just rubbish and I didn't want to risk wasting a tenners worth of ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Mr Homemadecider made an absolutely awful aubergine chilli concoction in the slow cooker. I'm not an aubergine fan at the best of times, but this was so bad he wouldn't even eat it (and he is the least fussy eater ever). It went in the bin and we had the end of the Xmas chocolate for dinner.

Ugh, aubergine.

Aldi's Irish Angus fillet steak, with stir fried mushies and broccoli (mmmmm broccoli) with a garlicky focaccia. Cos I can't be doing without starchy carbs and wasn't arsed with spuds.

Steak got a wee bit scorched but was really lovely, juicy and medium rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    This would give you a detailed pictorial guide, although I used a slightly different recipe for the dough. They are very very delicious :)

Decided to make these tomorrow, they look amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tongiht we had fish and baby potatoes.

I mixed up some olive oil, cayenne pepper, black pepper, dried parsley, paprika and chilli flakes and poured it over the spuds and then brushed them to make sure they were all coated with the mixture.

For fish I had sea bass, I mixed up lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes and dried parsley and drizzled it over the fish and baked for 10 minutes.

My boyfriend had natural smoked haddock which he sprinkled salt and pepper on and drizzled lemon juice on, and baked for 10 minutes.

Fish was lovely and juicy, was falling apart when I took it out of the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Had curry addict's chicken madras yesterday. A lot of work but worth it. Was gorgeous. Just had a mixed grill this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Went to Jamie's Italian in Dundrum for dinner tonight- Had bruschetta to start, then bolognese followed by a brownie and an espresso for dessert. Food was delicious and top marks for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Last night we had a Big Al's burger (100% beef: we rarely have burgers so this was a real treat), grilled and served on a bun with lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced onion, gherkin, small sprinkling of Cheddar cheese grated, and tomato ketchup..served with home-made chips made in my Tefal Actifry with a salad.

sxn4mx.jpg

Tonight we had king prawn stir-fry: king prawns with sliced red/green/yellow pepper, scallions, red onion, finely sliced carrots, mushrooms, beansprouts, finely sliced de-seeded red chilli, peas, chow-mein sauce and egg noodles:

307tgys.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

fussyonion wrote: »
    served with home-made chips made in my Tefal Actifry with a salad.

Would you recommend the Actifry? very intrigued by them but not sure I'd get the use out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

That "Big Als" burger looks pretty nasty. What exactly is the point of air frying chips if you're gonna complement it with something from "Big Al"?:eek:

drquirky, play nice or don't play at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

drquirky wrote: »
    That "Big Als" burger looks pretty nasty. What exactly is the point of air frying chips if you're gonna complement it with something from "Big Al"?:eek:

Don't be coming in here with your bad attitude. This is a feel good forum where we respect each other. That burger looks fine. You might not like it but this thread is about what we ate for dinner. Why not contribute what you ate for dinner instead of criticising someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

dipdip - Please use the report post function (as you did) when you have an issue with a post & let the mods take any action necessary. Commenting on thread only serves to drag the thread further off-topic. Thanks.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

tmc86 wrote: »
    Would you recommend the Actifry? very intrigued by them but not sure I'd get the use out of it.

I got the Actifry as a present last year. I don't use it very often but it makes nice chips and it's handy 'cos you can leave it alone and it'll stir everything itself and will beep when it's cooked.

You can also see how the food is doing, via the clear lid, and it's great that you can have chips with one teaspoon of oil.
    Would I have bought one if I hadn't received this as a present?
    Yes. But I don't use it all the time, so I'm not really getting the most out of it.

Sausages turn out lovely in it, as do chicken wings and you can also make curries and other things and because it stirs for you, you don't have to stand over it, making sure it doesn't stick.

Be warned though, that food takes longer in this machine.
    Those chips I made took 45 minutes, but because the machine has a timer on it, you can get on with what you're doing and it'll beep to tell you it's done; you actually don't feel you're waiting that long.

The machine is quite bulky and heavy and I'm not using it that much, but it is handy to use when you want chips that are actually good for you!

To clear up any misconceptions about the quality of "Big Als" they are one of the best Irish beef brands out there.

100% Irish beef produced by kepak.

Following the horsemeat scandal, Kepak secured the new contract with Tesco and other retailers due their transparent production and high quality.

*I don't work for them I just don't like seeing Irish brands instantly trashed because of an ignorant mis-informed individual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

tmc86 wrote: »
    To clear up any misconceptions about the quality of "Big Als" they are one of the best Irish beef brands out there.

100% Irish beef produced by kepak.

Following the horsemeat scandal, Kepak secured the new contract with Tesco and other retailers due their transparent production and high quality.

*I don't work for them I just don't like seeing Irish brands instantly trashed because of an ignorant mis-informed individual

Never questioned their traceability or that they aren't Irish beef. Was just suggesting they are not healthy and taste/ look disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Enough!

drquirky - you made your point about the burger.

Everyone - Let's get back on-topic with someone to tell us what culinary delight they dined on last night.

Thanks,

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

:eek: Is scared!

Fried egg sandwich for breakfast!
    Left over chicken and coleslaw for lunch
    and left over Cheese onion pie for dinner tonight! :D

Last night I ate in SABA restaurant for the first time.

Having ordered many a delicious takeaway I left feeling somewhat unimpressed. The restaurant is lovely and a really nice atmosphere however I thought that the food portions were quite small and didn't justify the price.

I had the Pattaya (Duck, noodles, pak choi, mushrooms, 1 slice of chili :()

€50.35 for two main courses, a bottle of singha and a cocktail!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried/grilled chicken thighs. Carrot, beetroot, apple and ginger slaw. Grilled cherry tomatoes. Jerusalem artichoke and potato mash with leeks and garlic. White wine chicken jus.

56ZEd5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Inspired by this thread, I called into Aldi on the way home.
    For 6.50 I got Lamb Rogan Josh, from the spice topped jar, with Garlic and Naan Bread for 2!
    Absolutely delicious - and probably only took me 20mins from inside door to plate.
    I go to Namaste, an Indian here in Smithfield that has a superb, and deserved reputation. For half the price, I had a nearly-as-good meal at home. Consider me converted to the Aldi curry sauces!

Is namaste open again?! That's our local Indian (thankfully, cos is blooming delicious) but last time we tried to order it had closed down! You'll actually brighten up my week if you tell me it's open again :D I love Indian food but even trying to make the most basic of Indian dishes well eludes me :( have been going to Diwali on George's st instead but they don't do a take away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement