Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made Chicken & couscous one pot last night and it was lovely

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10760/chicken-and-couscous-onepot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Mushroom, creme fraiche & chive omelette with lots of black pepper. Mixed salad with balsamic.

mushroomomelette_zpsa9d60de1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sunday we had burgers & wedges with an Indian twist. I fried shallots with ground cumin, coriander & curry powder, ginger, garlic & fresh coriander stalks. When cooled I added this to the minced beef for the patties with a couple of tablespoons of mango chutney. The wedges were coated in a mix of garam masala, ground chilli & salt.

Last night we ate in Bombay House in Skerries from a great value early bird menu.

Tonight was roasted boned & rolled chicken with roasted carrots, parsnips, butternut squash & spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Haven't made Yuk Sung in ages, and I guess I didn't make it tonight - rather, it was random dry mince with limp stuff from the fridge served wrapped in lettuce.
    Beef mince, red pepper, chillis, bit of thai red curry paste, onion, tomato, lime zest and juice, oyster and soy sauce, loads of coriander.
    The lettuce was a bit limp, but I put it in iced water for a few minutes and it made a miraculous resurrection.
    Delighted with myself!

2014-07-08210700.jpg

2014-07-08210417.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I had a €20-of-food-for-€10 Groupon for Kokoro (happy, happy take out sushi spot) so I got a tray of salmon sushi & chicken katsu for tonight and various fish-y sushi for tomorrow's lunch. Accidentally printed & gave the lady a voucher I had already used, looking like a sneak thief, but all got sorted in the end with minimal blushing.

• Advertisement

Made Omlette Wedges and they were "scrumptious" :pac:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10867/omelette-wedges

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Loire wrote: »
    Made Omlette Wedges and they were "scrumptious" :pac:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10867/omelette-wedges

Would they not be Frittatas?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Would they not be Frittatas?

Exactly! We have a (new) au pair from Spain and she was delighted last night with this. I kinda made out that I had planned it for her but it was really just a coincidence ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Speak of the devil, just had a fritatta. Cherry tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, basil leaves, goats cheese, onion, plus usual eggs, seasoning. It didn't survive long enough for a photo :o

Will be making that again, a meat element would have been nice in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A friend cooked and we had

- spiced chicken with baked cous cous
    - A salad of carrot, sesame seeds, lots of parsley & mint and a tahini dressing
    - This cheesecake (so good and then we (read: I) sat around eating lots of the leftover caramelised biscuit base like sweets)

And 3 bottles of very nice wine (between a few of us, not just me)

Was so good. The chicken was a Nigel Slater recipe and I enjoyed it so much I'll be making it this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lovely summery meal the other day.

Garlicy and herby gas BBQ/grilled lamb leg brouchettes with a few salads:
    Green beans, grilled pepper and pinenuts; Fennel, orange and mint; Tomato and garlic.

7555RF.jpg

Got back last night and Mrs Beer had done pan fried sirloin steaks, crushed butter beans with leeks and a really interesting jus/dressing of pan juices, red wine, basil and lots of lemon juice - rich and tangy:D. We also had the leftover fennel, orange and mint salad.

54SCxa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

So I made a batch of Ants Climbing A Tree.

5hXxB5z.jpg

It's really nice stuff - spicy and delicious!

Just wanted to add that if you haven't tried bean vermicelli then you ought to - it's amazing (and annoying stuff) Very absorbent of flavours and resistent to sogginess but also unbelievably tough and uncuttable when uncooked.

It's normally sold in 200-300 gram bundles and it is such a pain to pull off a hank to use in a small recipe -it just explodes all over the place, and is virtually uncuttable or breakable when raw. Every time I use it, I'm clearing bits up for days afterwards. Lidl were doing an asian offer which had 100g bags of it and I bought all I could get even though they were actually a bit overpriced per kg, just so I didn't have to deal with the mess of the bigger bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hot & sour twice-cooked pork rib broth with soba noodles. Will be having the same again tonight.

A stew that, for me works 12 months of the year.... Irish Stew:D

I love the lamb pieces that a local butcher does. I get bits of shank, shoulder, lap, rib. Plenty of bone and connective tissue but plenty of lean meat too. And cheap:D Just perfect for an Irish stew.

4Qc26X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Last night we had a Greek Style pie using a recipe spotted on the BBC Good Food Facebook page.

2e7ad536-cdd0-40a1-95ba-7b6295138524_zps65b24bcd.jpg

9e76a319-4bba-4772-87c8-d633f1d2b5d2_zps2c9527f7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Speaking of Greek food, I had a bit of a Greek theme for dinner last night.

I made Lamb Koftas, but instead of making kebabs from them I just formed the meat into small meatballs and fried them in the pan. Served them in pita bread with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, homemade Tzatziki, and Sriracha sauce, all with a side dish of Greek style potatoes. Enough left for tonight too. :)

314204.JPG

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I've been pretty unadventurous with dinners this week and kept it super simple. We had steak and the works on Tuesday, but the steak was tough (apparently!! I thought it was grand :D) so not sure where I went wrong!!

then we had a yummy shepherds pie
    6pByCc.jpg

and chilli and baked potato
    8kG5iR.jpg

No pics unfortunately, but I made a really nice thai spicy chicken with cashew nuts stirfry last night. A side effect of which was accidentally pepper-spraying the whole house by hot-frying dry red chilis.

We were still coughing an hour later, but it was totally worth it :p

• Advertisement

Corn on the cob with butter, salt and pepper.
    Pan fried hake; tomato, onion and basil; herby potato salad.

8iTJDF.jpg

7ZsAMq.jpg

Pan-fried ray wing, french-style potato salad with lots of dill, simple salsa with cucumber, tomato, shallot & lime.

I also treated myself to a lovely bottle of Zubrovka vodka so there will be some of that with lots of ice, diet coke & lime wedges.

raywing_zps202e7e12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sweet and Sticky Chicken with Egg Fried Rice.

001A5FE7-2646-49DC-A366-93BD5F678D44_zps1vedwntr.jpg

Recipe for the chicken here
    http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-sticky-chicken-breasts-422915

Sweet and Sticky Chicken with Egg Fried Rice.

Recipe for the chicken here
    http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-sticky-chicken-breasts-422915

I initially saw that as a big (delicious looking!) pile of food on a very small white plate standing on a marble-topped table, and was wondering why the heck you hadn't just gone and gotten a bigger plate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Surf and Turf - Fillet steak cooked perfectly with lobster tail and crawfish. Had a thyme butter and tasty chips on the side - yum! Preceded by lovely hot chicken wings and dessert was Death by Toffee. The Mai Tai and Watermelon mojito were also delish

004B0CA0-FE4A-4641-AC17-616BC4525351_zps8dv1kwn3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

B0jangles wrote: »
    Just wanted to add that if you haven't tried bean vermicelli then you ought to - it's amazing (and annoying stuff) Very absorbent of flavours and resistent to sogginess but also unbelievably tough and uncuttable when uncooked.

It's normally sold in 200-300 gram bundles and it is such a pain to pull off a hank to use in a small recipe -it just explodes all over the place, and is virtually uncuttable or breakable when raw. Every time I use it, I'm clearing bits up for days afterwards. Lidl were doing an asian offer which had 100g bags of it and I bought all I could get even though they were actually a bit overpriced per kg, just so I didn't have to deal with the mess of the bigger bags.

I loooove vermicelli, but find I need a scissors to cut it into smaller pieces, say for soup. No way you'll break it by hand!

Tarzana wrote: »
    I loooove vermicelli, but find I need a scissors to cut it into smaller pieces, say for soup. No way you'll break it by hand!

Oh I totally agree, it's crazy tough when raw, but I find even when you try to cut it, it still tends to explode a bit no matter how careful you are.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Italian buffet last night (and leftovers tonight!):

italian-buffet.jpg

Mozzarella and gorgonzola arancini; melon with parma ham; salt and pepper squid and prawns; stuffed mushrooms; pear, walnut and blue cheese tartlets; served with a fantastic tuna and black olive tapenade, tomato and red pepper sauce, garlic mayo, rocket, baguette and a Pinot Grigio.

Dessert was a vanilla panna cotta with a raspberry and blueberry sauce:

pannacotta.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

B0jangles wrote: »
    Oh I totally agree, it's crazy tough when raw, but I find even when you try to cut it, it still tends to explode a bit no matter how careful you are.

Yup, little bits of it get everywhere.

• Advertisement

Mushroom & parmesan risotto with the end of the fresh dill and lots of black pepper. We used the dried mushrooms you can get in Lidl and they were yum.

mushroomrisotto_zps7c9e6196.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement