Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Spiced chicken with cous cous and a salad of carrot, radish, apple & parsley dressed with lemon juice & olive oil. Wasn't as nice as my friend's version from Thursday but I will experiment further!

45AC4884-026B-4B2C-ACE3-5FE5DF264919_zpsm66rvmtu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

A stew that, for me works 12 months of the year.... Irish Stew:D

Hiya,

Are those pearl barley in the stew, and if so, when do you add them?

Also, how did you make the herby potato salad as it looks great?!

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    Hiya,

Are those pearl barley in the stew, and if so, when do you add them?

Also, how did you make the herby potato salad as it looks great?!

Thanks,
    Loire.

It sure is pearl barley.
    I just pour boiling water over it while I'm preparing the meat and veg. I throw it in the stew with the liquid and find it cooks fine in the time the meat cooks.

Potato salad:
    Cubed, cooked new potatoes.
    A few chopped spring onions.
    Chopped chives, parsley and thyme.
    Spoon of Dijon mustard.
    Dash of vinaigrette.
    Dollop of natural yoghurt or mayonnaise (I like yoghurt)

It sure is pearl barley.
    I just pour boiling water over it while I'm preparing the meat and veg. I throw it in the stew with the liquid and find it cooks fine in the time the meat cooks.

Potato salad:
    Cubed, cooked new potatoes.
    A few chopped spring onions.
    Chopped chives, parsley and thyme.
    Spoon of Dijon mustard.
    Dash of vinaigrette.
    Dollop of natural yoghurt or mayonnaise (I like yoghurt)

Thank you kindly!

Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've been overdoing it on the takeaways and wheat-based food lately so tonight I went for something light and fresh: smoked salmon and pepper, spring onion, plum tomatoes and cucumber with salsa verde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Meatballs in a home made spicy tomato, garlic, onion and pepper sauce. Served with brown rice and a tickle of natural yogurt and mixed seeds on top (really tasty actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Chicken chorizo bake side salad followed by home made jam sponge. Nice ...wouldn't win michellin stars but filled a gap!! Don't need stars in my house once kids are telling me that was lovely that's all that counts !!

Got fed by lovely relatives, salmon in a lemon & dill sauce and lemon rice. Then a raspberry/puff pastry tart and several glasses of prosecco

67500947-3BE8-4E5E-9764-8E5A0BE603DE_zpsmqzg4qzv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

868TwE.jpg

Crab pate, prawns and toast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Fillet of cod with feta and tomatoes on griddled asparagus and sweet potato mash.

USgP8P3.jpg

• Advertisement

8jSKGJ.jpg

Rib eye, on a bed of cabbage and bacon, new potatoes and SECRET marinade sauce.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Home alone for dinner tonight so had a sandwich with 2 runny fried eggs and Franks hot sauce - gorgeous!

Oblomov wrote: »
    Rib eye, on a bed of cabbage and bacon, new potatoes and SECRET marinade sauce.....

You make us sad when you keep tasty secrets from us :(

Fillet of cod with feta and tomatoes on griddled asparagus and sweet potato mash.

Looks fantastic and those tomatoes look great. One small question though, where's the cod? :p

EDIT: ignore, I thought that that just a large portion of Feta rather than the cod :o

I cook fish weekly and usually serve with asparagus or green beans but have never used feta nor a sweet potato mash so will try this tomorrow..thanks!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On Monday night I made a beef stir fry. I marinaded the beef in honey, chillis & soy sauce & then fried it with some veg, ginger & garlic & some Thai curry paste. It was bloody awful. I had to bin it. I think the honey was a bit too 'skunky' for the other flavours.

Being so disappointed with my culinary efforts from the night before I didn't bother cooking last night. I just bought a roast chicken thigh, a grilled pork knuckle & portion of fries from my local supermarket deli counter instead. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

On Monday night I made a beef stir fry. I marinaded the beef in honey, chillis & soy sauce & then fried it with some veg, ginger & garlic & some Thai curry paste. It was bloody awful. I had to bin it. I think the honey was a bit too 'skunky' for the other flavours.

Being so disappointed with my culinary efforts from the night before I didn't bother cooking last night. I just bought a roast chicken thigh, a grilled pork knuckle & portion of fries from my local supermarket deli counter instead. :(

Happens to us all chief.

Good that you went for the fuss-free option last night, though. I usually do the same if I've attempted something previously only to feel let down. It's like I need a 'not cooking from scratch' two-day recovery period!

On Monday night I made a beef stir fry. I marinaded the beef in honey, chillis & soy sauce & then fried it with some veg, ginger & garlic & some Thai curry paste. It was bloody awful. I had to bin it. I think the honey was a bit too 'skunky' for the other flavours.(

Hang in there dude!

I wonder would it have been better to just omit the Thai curry paste altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nah, it was definitely the honey. I used it on my Bircher muesli this morning & it cocked that up too. It is quite a gamey honey that I picked up a while ago, but hadn't used.

You make us sad when you keep tasty secrets from us

OK, I accept that I should not have said it.

It's a refinement of an old Agust Escoffier recipe,

carrots, onions, shallots are sauteed in oil with celery, garlic, parsley stalks, thyume, bayleaf, peppercorns and cloves. White wine and vinegar are added and simmered gently for 30 minutes, then cooled for use.

Changed white for red... finely chopped, and choice of quality and amounts... tee hee to taste.. Started to use Multi purpose seasoning..

usually leave overnight ... then dress "red meat" with juice.

tried it different ways, using the fluids first,, and different vinegar...

I'm looking at a juicer to prepare some of the vegetable and then a more refined fluid

Been there done that worn the apron...I must say I also start saying things like "I'm never ******* cooking again". Last night I said I was going to cook a cake to bring into work, I've successfully baked this cake time and time again......I burnt the bloody thing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Om-nom-nomlette and salad. It's become a weekly thing in our house now, very easy dinner to throw together after a long day at work.

omelettewithdill_zps712172d2.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Pizza!

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Pizza!

Pizza fest!!! Hats off to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Pizza!

That's incredible.

Went to Jacques in Cork last night.

They have an all-night set menu (during the week I think) for 24e for 2 courses and we went for that.

To start I had the fish cake which was very good. Mrs. Loire had a fruit salad, with melon and strawberry which was fantastic.

For mains I had Hake. I cook Hake regularly myself. It was cooked perfectly but a little too much salt for my liking. Mrs Loire had Asian style chicken which again was very good.

Overall I would say that the food was "good". Good value for 24e but as I've eaten there before I felt that the standard had dropped a little. The service was excellent and the restaurant itself is very nice - it's comfortable, warm and the atmosphere was very good. For anyone from Dublin I would compare it to the likes Chapter One and Roly's for decor and clientele. The food wouldn't be as high end as the former but more like the latter.

We had a Tempranillo to drink and at 23 euro it was well priced - nothing memorable but quite pleasant.

All in all a lovely meal in a nice place for a good price. We'll be back!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

This was meant to come from the BBQ, but I ended up just quickly frying it in the pan: honey and mustard marinated turkey breast, with a fruity rice salad. A very light, summery dish.

10FF5725DF344427B4F786A91017B89F-0000353053-0003610718-00800L-AEF6764858AE4666A88F2DE5C97ECC64.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Having a bit of a funny week of food.
    By myself every evening, so having salads from what's in the fridge. Tonight I had a Bunsen burger - it's great and everything, but I forgot about the fake cheese, which is always disappointing!

On Sunday I was in London and went for lunch in Yotam Ottolenghi's place - NOPI. Highly, highly recommend. Food was perfection: Starter rare sirloin steak with grated fennel. Then had 2 small plates for mains: quail stuffed with pork and pistachio with a chocolatey-pear sauce and rhubard; twice cooked chicken with chilli sauce and lemon mrytle salt (no idea what this was, but was very tasty!)
    Desert was roast peanut and caramel icecream with chocolate sauce.
    My dining companions had equally amazing dishes: pork chop; burrata with nectarines and coriander seeds; valdeon "cheesecake" which was kinda like a solid fondue with beetroot and nuts; mango and coconut sorbet; eton mess with strawberry and pomegranate.
    It was a roll-me-out-I'm-so-full lunch.
    The marinated olives - with ginger and pink peppercorns - were the best olives I've ever had. ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not so much dinner as a sneaky midnight snack after the pub.
    Aldi wholemeal Mediterranean wrap, rocket, streaky rashers, fried potato, Dijon mustard.
    Rolled up and devoured!

8jhAKk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Carluccio's spinach balls with garlicky courgette. Someone posted this recipe on here before and I've had my eye on it since. It was DELICIOUS! Will make a giant batch next time and put a load of them in the freezer.

spinachballs_zpsf589148e.jpg

• Advertisement

Utterly, utterly stole fiddlechic's dinner idea from a while ago, a black pudding & apple scone from The Cupcake Bloke (AND a blackforest cupcake, which was top notch but I ate that immediately upon purchase) with a soft poached egg & the relish he gives you with the scone. It was delightful, there's a molasses (or something) kick to the relish that's just <happy grunt>.

I will be back for more scones (the spinach and ricotta also looked worth a whirl), more relish, more cupcakes and a marshmallow krispie thing that I just about bought for myself but rejected on grounds of gluttony

B11B67B9-7132-45A5-BBE9-70794A20D94E_zps6e1teqpn.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement