Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Carluccio's spinach balls with garlicky courgette. Someone posted this recipe on here before and I've had my eye on it since. It was DELICIOUS! Will make a giant batch next time and put a load of them in the freezer.

That was me, glad you liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hopped off the plane on Thursday & brought the Billy clan to Blue Bar on Skerries harbour for dinner. They went for the usual burgers & wings (which were great as always) & I opted for baked ray wings on a bed of mash. When the others saw the mash they were as jealous as bejaysus. It was awesome!

The result was a demand for something/anything with mash for dinner on Friday. It made me realize how little potato we actually eat now. Mostly rice, cous cous & pasta these days. So, dins on Friday was a mix of pork & lamb chops with mounds of buttery mash & steamed asparagus generously seasoned with sea salt, pepper & more butter. Happy Billys all round. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Sausage & bean hotpot, very tasty! Made loads so there's extra in the freezer for those "I'M NOT COOKING" days.

Sausagehotpot_zps1e6af9a2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Utterly, utterly stole fiddlechic's dinner idea from a while ago, a black pudding & apple scone from The Cupcake Bloke (AND a blackforest cupcake, which was top notch but I ate that immediately upon purchase) with a soft poached egg & the relish he gives you with the scone. It was delightful, there's a molasses (or something) kick to the relish that's just <happy grunt>.

I will be back for more scones (the spinach and ricotta also looked worth a whirl), more relish, more cupcakes and a marshmallow krispie thing that I just about bought for myself but rejected on grounds of gluttony

That scone is just awesome, isn't it?
    I have his loyalty card nearly full. And my jeans are noticeably tighter. A connection, methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we had spicy pasta, mince beef, onions, mushrooms, grated carrots and some herbs/spices, tin of chopped tomatoes and a jar of Jamie Oliver tomato and chilli sauce.

It's super simple, but thoroughly delicious and so easy for those days where you're feeling lazy and really don't want to cook.

I absolutely loved it, my boyfriend on the other hand didn't like it at all, it was too spicy apparently, he'd have preferred it if it was just mince beef, onions, mushrooms and a tin of tomatoes, which I've had before and it was really bland and tasteless. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Friday: Very late dinner of falafel in Cafe Oasis in Smithfield - it's two giant steps from my gaff but my first time in there. What a treat! Cheap as chips but genuinely the nicest falafel I've had outside of the middle east. Fab staff, open late and relaxed atmosphere. Recommend for a quick bite any day of the week.

Late brunch/early dinner (eh, brinner?!) on Saturday in Brother Hubbard - my first foray in there. Jaysus but twas jammers in there. I got the beans and pulled pork - incredibly moreish and satisfying. Great, strong flavours; two thumbs up. My mate got the semolina pancakes which looked fab but he didn't like them at all.

Friday: Very late dinner of falafel in Cafe Oasis in Smithfield - it's two giant steps from my gaff but my first time in there. What a treat! Cheap as chips but genuinely the nicest falafel I've had outside of the middle east. Fab staff, open late and relaxed atmosphere. Recommend for a quick bite any day of the week.

Must check it out. Just around the corner from me too.

Had the full Sunday roast yesterday - roast leg of lamb, potatoes with minty butter, broccolli, roasted peppers and tomatoes with pools of gravy and mint sauce. Followed by roast peaches and mascarpone cream topped with toasted hazlenuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love falafel!

Tonight I made vegan falafel balls, served in a wrap with lettuce, cheese and sweet chili sauce. Cajun spiced sweet potato wedges on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I love falafel!

Tonight I made vegan falafel balls, served in a wrap with lettuce, cheese and sweet chili sauce. Cajun spiced sweet potato wedges on the side.

Pardon my ignorance but what makes them "vegan"?

Isn't falafel always vegan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Isn't falafel always vegan?

That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Made lovely potato rostis this evening to go with my chicken and broccoli with creamy mushroom sauce; I was absolutely delighted with myself, they were great!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

We were laughing about it, that was the name of the recipe but then we added cheese to the meal anyway :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nice simple dinner tonight, chicken stir fried with onion, red pepper, mangetout, babycorn and chow mein noodles.

Added some fish sauce and soy :)

Enough left over for tomorrow too!

Bizarely just as I was finished cooking the OH arrived home and announced he felt like chinese style food! WIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Quick-fried steak, with mushrooms, onions, fried leftover potato chunks from yesterday and some floury new potatoes. It was pretty good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Quick-fried steak, with mushrooms, onions, fried leftover potato chunks from yesterday and some floury new potatoes. It was pretty good.

That reminds me I used work in a restaurant about 20 years ago that did a thing called pommes forestiere

Basically chunks of potato deep fried for a short time, then flash fried with basil, sage and something else.

Anyone come across that?

Really herby crisp on the outside soft on the inside potatoes, I could have eaten my bodyweight in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

On a bit of a diet at the moment so a lot of my usual dishes are on hold. I do find however if I read this thread regularly it in some way nourishes me and satisfies my cravings!
    Tonight was chicken,pepper,mushroom,garlic and chili stirfried with sesame noodles. Twas quite nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sunday was Thai green curry with tender stem broccoli & bamboo shoots.

Last night we had marinated chicken breasts on the BBQ with a lovely cous cous, pepper, scallion, tomato & coriander salad.

Dinner last night was BBQ pork ribs and Lasagne.

Odd combo, but both needed using up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not very pretty and not exactly exciting but seriously tasty comfort food, nonetheless. Savoury mince with mash.

5CNy65.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Quorn sausages salad nice light and very tasty

Tonight was meant to be re-heated leftover pasta, but it tasted a bit off, so I am now having a smoked salmon salad.

Baby spinach, cucumber, tomato, red onion, scallion, smoked salmon and some brown bread.

315525.jpg

Sorry for crappy pic, only had my phone to take it!

Had tacos out of K Chido Mexico - which is a "food truck" alongside the Luas just behind the Four Courts. It has picnic benches and is now open until 8pm.
    They were quite good, but not as good as the last time I ate there several months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Open till 8pm now you say?? Woop!!! Have never been able to make it down there :)

Open till 8pm now you say?? Woop!!! Have never been able to make it down there :)

I'm not sure if just for the summer months or if for good. I was bit disappointed in my tacos, but the guys in front of me got a burrito and a quesadilla, and when I got my tacos I had a blast of food envy!

Last night we had slow-cooker bolognese. I didn't fancy having spaghetti so I cooked grated courgette in olive oil and unholy amounts of garlic, then stirred in a good whack of grated parmesan. It was really good.

bolognesewithcourgette_zps01a878fe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I get off the luas at the four courts every day and have never noticed this place??! Walk up beresford st, how am i missing it??

I get off the luas at the four courts every day and have never noticed this place??! Walk up beresford st, how am i missing it?? X

It's just beyond Hughes pub, in the front part of Fegan's cash and carry. You can get your lunch sorted out there!

Tonight we are having roast chicken pieces, spuds, carrots and broccoli.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had rabbit in mustard sauce with rice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement