Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I had dinner last night in the Malt House in Galway. I had a starter of St. Tola feta with asparagus, beetroot carpacchio, leaves, and lemon and oregano viniagrette; mains of scallops & spicy pork bon bons with cauliflower puree, black pudding crumble, and saffron aoili; and a Bailey's and dark chocolate cheesecake with coffee anglaise for desert. All washed with a very lovely wine.
    It. was. EPIC. Most enjoyable and delicious meal I've had in a long time!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »
    Right I'm about to serve up my first roast beef in ages.

Tis a 1.7kg top rump.

All plates licked clean :)

Served up the roast with goose fat roasted, and roasted carrot and parsnip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

St Tola's cheeses are the best.

I need to start making shopping lists again - have a bit all over the shop in the last week - haven't done a proper shop so haven't been cooking much at home.
    Had a burger in Jo'Burger new place in Smithfield earlier. It was only alright - ends up pricy quite quickly.

And not as nice in surroundings or burgers, than the cheaper Oscars across the square so doubt I'll be back.

Off now to read some cookbooks for inspiration and make a shopping list for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Haha, snap! I didn't have any garlic though, but there were enough flavours in them without. Will try again with the garlic definitely. They were a bit hard to keep together while cooking though, they were fairly wet. Might be because the prawns had been frozen? Not sure. Great anyway!

I made them in the afternoon then put them on a plate in the fridge to chill for a good few hours before cooking. This firmed them up and they held together very well during cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

20140727_185026.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Stheno wrote: »
    Right I'm about to serve up my first roast beef in ages.

Tis a 1.7kg top rump.

Dinner for one? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had Cod, new potatoes with lemon mint & parsley, served with a nice and simple salad. Eating a lot of fish lately, which I'm loving.

316146.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

The starter was Whitebait but we were to busy talki9ng to take snapshots...

So,

Nain, fillet, pepercorn sauce, very nice oiece of meat

4TGYVt.jpg

followed by Vanilla Cheesecake with a strawberry sorbet

8eyvLU.jpg

Little place near grantham.

Excellent service and lots of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I made them in the afternoon then put them on a plate in the fridge to chill for a good few hours before cooking. This firmed them up and they held together very well during cooking.

I chilled them for a while that evening, but we had them the following day too so they were in the fridge overnight and still weren't really firm. Era, I'll just have to try again I suppose!:)

400g ribeye cooked rare, served with slices of raw onion, gravy from the pan & a few slices of bread to mop up the juices.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I chilled them for a while that evening, but we had them the following day too so they were in the fridge overnight and still weren't really firm. Era, I'll just have to try again I suppose!:)

I suspect you're right about the frozen prawns. They need to be thoroughly defrosted and then thoroughly dried before they go in the mix; we've had some sloppy joes as a result (I believe) of residual moisture in the prawns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It's too sticky and I have been far, far too narky to cook this last while so we've been eating mainly things from Lidl's Spanish range straight out of the packet and then off the chopping board they're cut onto. Chunks of spanish omlette (con bacon, happy out), a little manchego, tomatoes with sherry vinegar and olive oil, salad leaves, (not great) chorizo and some garlic bread and random toasted walnuts. We have also baked one of the little hard goats cheeses they sell, fried chorizo and poured the diced sausage AND the chorizo fat over the goats cheese then savaged it but can't be doing that all the time as it's pure savagery.

C33CD59D-B6C2-4CF7-AFEA-64790197FAC3_zpsiffyocqn.jpg

The weather is truely crap here, so I've gone for a stew this evening. It is a bit of a 'two-parter' with stewing steak & oxtails. I'll pick out the stewing steak for tonight's dinner, but leave the oxtails in the pot for tomorrow (hoping the extra time will make them even more delish).

Edit: It is gorgeous! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Chilli con carne and nachos hit the spot yum!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just FYI, in the original HWIHFD thread, it took just under 3 years to clock up 2,866 posts. In this thread, we've managed it in 7 months. Go team!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made enchiladas with leftover roast chicken from yesterday, and potato cubes. The enchiladas were nice but not as nice as when they're made with uncooked chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Leftover dinner - my sister made steak on Friday and had a leftover welldone sirloin.
    I made a modified chimmicurri - cider vinegar, avocado oil (as couldn't find the olive oil, no idea where I could have put a 75% full bottle!), garlic, chilli, coriander and parsley. Then mixed a bit of that with some mayo, sliced some very ripe on-the-vine plum tomatoes and chopped up the steak. Served on a slice of chilli sourdough toast.
    It was delicious.

2014-07-28204719.jpg

We did some googling for slow cooker recipes and made an American-style stew called Kentucky Burgoo. Chicken and pork with lots of veggies, mixed beans, corn and chilli. Rather a lot of chilli actually! Tasted good but twas fiery.

Kentuckyburgoo_zpsf635d57e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we had striploin steaks, mashed potatoes and peas. It was absolutely delicious, thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I made enchiladas with leftover roast chicken from yesterday, and potato cubes. The enchiladas were nice but not as nice as when they're made with uncooked chicken.
    That's something I've always noticed whenever I do a left over chicken into a curry again I would prefer uncooked chicken strange as I always find other leftovers taste better ie stew, fried up potatoes better the next day mind you there's very little over here in the roly poly house!

Re: homemadecider I only recently bought a slow cooker and believe it or not I made a chocolate cake in it (sorry no pic). Turned out lovely and no watching the thing either! I'm a slow cooker virgin but loving it already reckon it will come into its own in winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Home made chicken Madras with rice and a few chips.
    I never have chips with it normally but fancied a few!

5estvr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Smoked salmon linguine from The Butler's Pantry, it was very good! I heard about it a while ago and pass by one of their shops on the bus very often, but only went in for the first time yesterday. Great selection of meals that really live up to their slogan "it tastes home cooked because it is" :-)

BD5661A9F39A4E218ED2126553888EC5-0000353053-0003617907-00800L-410255CCFF90459E82F05A65474B2149.jpg

fussyonion wrote: »
    Home made chicken Madras with rice and a few chips.
    I never have chips with it normally but fancied a few!

Yum! Can I have your madras recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yum! Can I have your madras recipe please?

Of course!
    I use this one:

http://www.currytastic.com/best-chicken-madras-recipe-ever/

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

well, it wasn't exactly tonight, but couple of nights ago, but hope that is still ok with admins :rolleyes:. so we had: bread (homemade sourdough 100% rye) fried in butter, peppered smoked mackerel, blanched asparagus and poached eggs (from my 2 ladies in back garden) all sprinkles with a little bit of lemon juice :) delish....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

tsuzmir wrote: »
    well, it wasn't exactly tonight, but couple of nights ago, but hope that is still ok with admins

Banned!! Go on, sling your mackerel hooks, it's within 24 hours or nuthin'

Not really :) Wee power trip there, don't mind me. That sounds lovely!

Tonight's dinner of random things on a plate. Cod cooked as per my mam (on a plate wrapped in foil, with a knob of butter, over a pot of boiling water) on a roll with green olives, sherry vinegar and all the butter it was cooked in. [On side note - I was out of lemon juice to squeeze over my cod and I was in a full on slightly affected food panic googling 'does vinegar go with cod' when I copped on to what I was asking the world. I'm pretty sure the man in the chipper across the road could have helped me out of my 'Woe is me, where are my matching ingredients' headspace pretty quickly]

Hard boiled eggs with salt, mayo & smoked paprika and a salad with olive oil and a little balsamic. [On a second side note - balsamic glaze is a bit gank with fish/green olives and butter and it only gets worse when it turns out you've gotten peppermint syrup on your breadroll as well through being careless]

Star of dinner was basically a cod sandwich :)

5BC0260D-9D9F-489A-8CB8-7F29211D1466_zpschwrk3ij.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've been in a bit of a food rut recently so today I cooked something interesting with my first ever lamb tagine. I'm assuming it was a run of the mill recipe - top rated on BBC Good Food. It was beautiful, the lamb was really tender. First time making my own spice mix too. After I gorged myself on the leftover pomegranate seeds.

2vxrcxi.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I had chicken stir fry.

2qs53jo.jpg

Followed by a couple of lemon curd shortbreads. I'd made the curd last week.

52ks9z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Yum !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Risotto. Not the best looking batch I've made, but bloody delicious.

IAi2T8m.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement