Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork marriage proposal spots?

Options
  • 17-12-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all, I am just looking for somewhere in Cork at short notice to propose.
    I was planning on going away in the new year for a weekend somewhere nice but as I now have the ring sooner than i thought im thinking where and how I could do it between the next week or two.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cliched but you could try Gouganebarra if you could make the trip out for "a spin"

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeadlyH83

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cliched but you could try Gouganebarra if you could make the trip out for "a spin"

Ok thanks, what is setting out there?
    Just go for a stroll through the woods and then pop the question? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

DeadlyH83 wrote: »
    Ok thanks, what is setting out there?
    Just go for a stroll through the woods and then pop the question? :)

It's the site of St. Finbarr's 6th century monastery. Beautiful place, with a quaint little ol' chapel that makes the girlies all weak at the knees. Highly recommended. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Send her on a scavenger hunt with various clues etc until she finds the ring!

Alternatively you could do a late walk round the lough, have it arranged with friends/family to have marry me spelled out in tea lights for whatever time ye get there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I usually use Shandon steeple , looking down on the city lights. No success yet - but you might have more luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If he/she is already on boards you could just ask her here and now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

depends on her,

if she is a city loving girl, somewhere that overlooks the city (plenty of good views on both northside and southside)

if she is a country girl/outdoorsey, there are curabinny/farran woods/fota house/gardens/wildlife park.

if she loves beaches, plenty of them to choose from,

if she is the indoors/old school romantic maybe a restaurant proposal i am sure most places would oblige if you ask for help.

or just pick a place that means something to her. if you are at the point of proposing you must know if she has a favorite place she likes to hang out or go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

We have a big Ferris wheel up for Christmas in the city centre .. On the top point might be nice ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

On the top point might be nice ....
    With potentially lethal consequences..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Lemag wrote: »
    With potentially lethal consequences..

Or expensive.

OP, do you not have a special place already, a woods or beach where ye go for walks, a favourite restaurant or cafe, etc? Surely better than picking somewhere random she might hate.

I asked my wife to marry me on our favourite beach, on my birthday. Then we went to look at my second favourite lighthouse. Lovely day all around. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

BMW Showroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

This post has been deleted.

No. That would seem like desperation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

shaky bridge ? (popular for wedding photos)

or another popular site - outside the family planning clinic :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

How about a little Sunday day trip somewhere and propose on a beach :) Inchydoney would be nice as you could pop the question and head up to the hotel after for a celebratory glass of bubbly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Hillbillys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Metacarpi wrote: »
    How about a little Sunday day trip somewhere and propose on a beach :) Inchydoney would be nice as you could pop the question and head up to the hotel after for a celebratory glass of bubbly!!

She'd probably want to get married there then, which is roughly equivalent to spending €75k on a 2008 diesel Ford Focus.

We have a big Ferris wheel up for Christmas in the city centre .. On the top point might be nice ....

Ya I thought of that but we were on it during the day last week and thought of it after, I wonder would that spoil it?

rovoagho wrote: »
    Or expensive.

OP, do you not have a special place already, a woods or beach where ye go for walks, a favourite restaurant or cafe, etc? Surely better than picking somewhere random she might hate.

We don't really have any particular favourite place but we have been to most places and enjoyed walks in curabinny woods etc but I dont think they are what I'm thinking.

Its a longterm relationship too just to let everyone have an idea. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Hillbillys.
    Why stop there carry her to Macdonalds, if its too busy inside use the drive through and propose at the collection window, if she says no keep her food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Donaldio

Try a lapdanceing club or just ask her when you are boneing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Kinsale.
    Fota.
    Barryscourt castle.
    Any castle really, even Blarney, lovely grounds.
    Areas around Bantry, the old house there, looking out on the bay.
    I like Cobh too, even with the old Steel factory on Haulbowline.

Best of luck :)

Seriously take somewhere nice that you both know and like and just have a really normal and nice evening play it real cool just have a good time in a nice place and then out of nowwhere bring out the ring and pop the qeustion total suprise ! Besides mariage is for the long haul and for every day of the rest of the life so might aswell be normal enough. Theres a real nice veg restuaunt i like in cork.

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Cubins on a thursday night be a good spot

Just messing op

Drive down to inchydoney beach maybe...

Gl with it

Donaldio wrote: »
    Theres a real nice veg restuaunt i like in cork.

A Veg Restaunt? Whats that's and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I assume there's a place that's special to you both?

I got engaged to my wife on the beach in Fountainstown as that's where we take the dogs for a walk and we both love it there. It was the end of the summer, the sun was setting and the beach was deserted, it was lovely.

So if there's a place where ye both go that means something to both of you, do it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Roar wrote: »
    I assume there's a place that's special to you both?

I'd actually say is there anywhere special to her. I popped the question in the National Art Gallery at her favorite painting, I had planned on doing it at a gig by her favorite artist but it was an outdoor gig and it looked like it was going to rain so came up with the plan B the morning before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A Veg Restaunt? Whats that's and thanks

Probably means the vegetarian restaurant Cafe Paradiso, but that seems a bit random, and while I love the food there, I wouldn't see it as a proposal spot.

Did ye have a spot you used to meet at in town? By the fountain, outside the library, outside BT?

Fitzgeralds park is nice. The walk around Blackrock castle.

Fota gardens.

The top of the county hall (floor 17 reception area) can be gotten into by arranging in advance here: CommunicationsOffice@CorkCoCo.ie
    I've been up there on culture night, it's a nice spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Hi all, I am just looking for somewhere in Cork at short notice to propose.
    I was planning on going away in the new year for a weekend somewhere nice but as I now have the ring sooner than i thought im thinking where and how I could do it between the next week or two.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you

Think again about it:D
    when i proposed i completely forgot about..
    put out the bins
    empty the dishwasher
    Do the ironing
    do i look big in this? (the alltime hardest question to answer) Normally say 'of course you dont' but then told 'you wouldnt tell me anyway':rolleyes:
    Ive nothing to wear.....(why is the wardrobe full of your clothes:eek:)

Other that that marriage is great:D:D

Advertisement