Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return for non-occupation? (rental)

Options
  • 17-12-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭

House was available for rent. A person known to a close relation of the house owner expressed a desire to rent it as it would be more suitable than their existing place, so asked owner to hold it for a month so they could get themselves sorted and out of their current accom and then be able to move in. Owner agreed to hold for a month, for a deposit the value of one months rent. Owner turned down two other prospective tenants during that month. Person's personal circumstances changed towards the end of that month and he decided he would have to remain at his existing address.

Person is now demanding return of deposit, and that he will go to PTRB to get it, house owner is refusing and saying the deposit was for holding the house vacant and that he could have occupied the place several times over in the meantime.

Opinions on who is in the right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly the purpose of a deposit?

I can't see the PRTB ruling against the landlord in this case if common sense is used but I'm no expert on the legal aspects of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,970 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tell them to jump, that is what deposits are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

When you took the deposit did you give a receipt specifying that it was a non-refundable holding deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

In this case it was clearly a holding deposit and they lost it by not taking the place.

The LL is already down money for doing this. He effectively let them rent it while they weren't there for free. No good deed goes unpunished is apparently the case here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

held for a month. that's a holding deposit without question. PRTB wont even entertain it as anything else. The LL is right telling them to go jump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yup gotta take the LL side here. Tenant sounds like a bit of dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tenant sounds like a bit of dick.
    No need for comments like this.

It seems from what the OP has said that the situation changed and they were left out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thanks all, pretty much what I thought.

Yes the prospective tenant is out of pocket but the change of situation came about because of his circumstances, if he got his deposit back the owner would be the one out of pocket through no fault of his own

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Not that it helps at all but I do not think the PRTB would deal with this; no tenancy was created (no rent was paid ) so outside of their remit and probably a small claims issue.

Advertisement