Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depreciated refund from Samsung

Options
  • 17-12-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

My 5 year old Samsung TV started turning itself off last week. This is a known issue with the TV, and Samsung sent out a repair man last Thursday to attempt a fix. Whatever he did didn't work, and now the TV won't switch on at all. He said it needs a new main board from Samsung. He rang me on Friday and said the main board was out of stock and I had to ring Samsung about it.

I rang Sammy customer care on Friday evening and I was told it would take 2 working days to approve a refund. Grand I thought and I emailed them the invoice for the TV. I rang them today and I was offered a depreciated refund. I wasn't told how much this might be, but I was asked if I agreed to it. I didn't agree to it and I asked for them to put their position in writing so I can decide what to do.

Where does this leave me? I know the Sale of Good act says that my contract is with the Retailer, but before Samsung attempted a repair, my TV was still useable (it turned off after about 1/2 an hour). Now I have a big black box with a flashing red light. I could be offered €100 and be left with a useless TV a week before Christmas - hardly fair. Can I take Samsung to the Small Claims Court?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Doesn't appear that you were supplied with goods fit for purpose. ..I would expect more than 5yrs out of a tv.
    Full refund imo no lesa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

is the tv still in warranty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

TBH if you bring the case to the small claims court you will only get a percentage of what you paid for the TV ie it will be discounted down by 5 years so may not be much more than what Samsung are offering you.

I haven't been through this process so I'm not 100% on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

No - TV is out of warranty, but was useable until Samsung attempted a repair. I just got this in an email:

As requested I have put into writing the advice that I gave you today regarding your unit LE40M86BDX/XEU. The unit is now out of warranty. Although an alternative resolution has been authorised the only thing we can offer is a depreciated refund.

We have based this decsion on the warranty status of your unit.

This is a set amount of money which will be issued using the depreciation scale from which the unit was purchased. As discussed, due to various processes I do not know what the actual total will be.

If you decide that you want to go ahead with this please do not hestitate to contact us on 03307267864 and we can make the necessary arrangements.

As regards to your question regarding the lifespan of your unit. Every unit is manufactured with a certain life expectancy and although you did state that the T.V was working we have to take this fact into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

How can they expect you to accept the refund without telling you the exact amount. That's ridiculous.

As for the TV being useable before they attempted a repair that's not exactly true if it switched off every half hour it was only partially useable really. If the amount was reasonable then I think its fair enough as you have had 5 years use of the TV and it is out of warranty, but in fairness you need to know what that figure is first and going to small claims court will discount for 5 years use anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

stimpson wrote: »
    My 5 year old Samsung TV started turning itself off last week. This is a known issue with the TV, and Samsung sent out a repair man last Thursday to attempt a fix. Whatever he did didn't work, and now the TV won't switch on at all. He said it needs a new main board from Samsung. He rang me on Friday and said the main board was out of stock and I had to ring Samsung about it.

I rang Sammy customer care on Friday evening and I was told it would take 2 working days to approve a refund. Grand I thought and I emailed them the invoice for the TV. I rang them today and I was offered a depreciated refund. I wasn't told how much this might be, but I was asked if I agreed to it. I didn't agree to it and I asked for them to put their position in writing so I can decide what to do.

Where does this leave me? I know the Sale of Good act says that my contract is with the Retailer, but before Samsung attempted a repair, my TV was still useable (it turned off after about 1/2 an hour). Now I have a big black box with a flashing red light. I could be offered €100 and be left with a useless TV a week before Christmas - hardly fair. Can I take Samsung to the Small Claims Court?
    Your contract is with the store so you'd need to take the store to the SCC and you've weakend your position by dealing directly with Samsung (you did not give the retailer an oppertunity to fix your problem).

Even in SCC I'd guess you'd get a depriciated verdict in some form though as you've had and used the TV for 5 years but first stop will be the retailer.

Unfortunately the retailer was Pixmania. I don't fancy my chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Doom wrote: »
    I would expect more than 5yrs out of a tv.

Really? the days where appliances lasted 10+ years are long gone, cheaper components these days. Mind you, they dont cost as much to buy in the first place so I suppose its much of a muchness.

I got 5 years out of my last tv and when a component failed (hdmi port) I just bought a new one and thought Id done well to get 5 years out of it!

Really? the days where appliances lasted 10+ years are long gone, cheaper components these days. Mind you, they dont cost as much to buy in the first place so I suppose its much of a muchness.

I got 5 years out of my last tv and when a component failed (hdmi port) I just bought a new one and thought Id done well to get 5 years out of it!

My previous telly was a Panasonic and it lasted 12 years. Cost less than the Sammy too.

Does anyone know what rate of depreciation SCC would use. 10% p.a. would yield €500. 20% would yield SFA.

My previous telly was a Panasonic and it lasted 12 years. Cost less than the Sammy too.

Yeah, my previous telly lasted a lot longer too.

What is Samsungs position here - take the depreciated refund or take nothing? Like, what if you say - I cant take it unless I know the amount? Where does that leave you?

They could be using any rate of depreciation - not necessarily anything listed anywhere except in a spreadsheet in their accounts office.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

5yrs is poor in my opinion, nearly all of my domestic products have lasted well over 8 yrs, only one to go was washing machine (overloading)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Doesn't appear that you were supplied with goods fit for purpose. ..I would expect more than 5yrs out of a tv.
    Full refund imo no lesa

Previous experiences of people here suggests that is unlikely even from SCC!

Yeah, my previous telly lasted a lot longer too.

What is Samsungs position here - take the depreciated refund or take nothing? Like, what if you say - I cant take it unless I know the amount? Where does that leave you?

They could be using any rate of depreciation - not necessarily anything listed anywhere except in a spreadsheet in their accounts office.

Samsung's position is basically, accept an unknown depreciated amount or feck off.

Samsung's position is basically, accept an unknown depreciated amount or feck off.

Well then - what choice is there? Take the depreciated refund. Its better than nothing which is the other option!

Doom wrote: »
    5yrs is poor in my opinion, nearly all of my domestic products have lasted well over 8 yrs, only one to go was washing machine (overloading)

Yeah it is poor - but it is generally reflective of most appliances I have bought in the past 7 years - the exception being the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

My stance would be. TV was operational before Sammy's repair guys showed up. Now it's totally fooked. Fix my TV.

Well then - what choice is there? Take the depreciated refund. Its better than nothing which is the other option!

The other option is the Small Claims court.

My issue isn't with the product, rather it's with the repair service that left me with a bricked TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They damaged your (property) TV, that's a full refund or replacement.

They are responsible for returning it to the condition it was in before they had it, which they won't be able to do.

RangeR wrote: »
    My stance would be. TV was operational before Sammy's repair guys showed up. Now it's totally fooked. Fix my TV.

This might actually work.

Hang on, tv was shutting itself off before repair, so wasn't really usable. They are offering you depreciated refund as though it had been working fine. You would hardly expect a full refund on something you had use of for 5 years? I don't see why you won't go for the partial refund? What are you actually expecting to get? They broke something that was already faulty and are offering you the value of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

think the effort to get anywhere (even though us spectators want to see the result of such protracted efforts) will be futile, the depreciated amount will be worth it. IMO 5 years from a TV is fair enough game in this day and age, tech has usually moved on lots since 5 years ago anyways.......

Hang on, tv was shutting itself off before repair, so wasn't really usable. They are offering you depreciated refund as though it had been working fine. You would hardly expect a full refund on something you had use of for 5 years? I don't see why you won't go for the partial refund? What are you actually expecting to get? They broke something that was already faulty and are offering you the value of it.

It was shutting off after about half an hour. It was in some way useable. Now it's only useable as a flashing red LED.

I don't mind a partial refund, but they are not telling me beforehand what this refund is going to be. 30% might be fair enough, but 10% - what use is that to me?

It was shutting off after about half an hour. It was in some way useable. Now it's only useable as a flashing red LED.

I don't mind a partial refund, but they are not telling me beforehand what this refund is going to be. 30% might be fair enough, but 10% - what use is that to me?

But the alternative is zero, or small claims court (time, stress, risk of worse outcome). For a 5 year old telly, personally I'd be taking any cash back on it.

Best of luck anyway, hope you get whatever it is you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Hi,
    Working in retail and one that sells Tvs I'd be thinking you'll be offered about 20% of original price.There's a myth about 6year warranties but there is a 6 year "duty of care".I doubt very much it will change whether you deal with the manufacturer or the retailer.I believe the reasoning behind this is along the lines of that you have had 5 year use and a full refund would mean you didn't pay for the use of said Tv for those years.I understand there is another issue here as the a Tv was working(albeit intermittently)before Samsung rep got their hands on it but just thought Id throw in my 2pence worth.Hope you get it sorted as it's already an expensive time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi OP - ask Samsung to replace the television. We had problems with a 4 year old one...sound no picture, also a known fault. TV cost about €2.5k at purchase time. To cut a long story short, a repair was quoted at €900 and a new equivalent TV was circa €800 so Samsung replaced the TV within 3 days.

We found with Samsung that the key was who you got to talk to. Many of them work almost exclusively off a script. I got lucky on the fourth call and got a nice Scottish guy who sorted me out straight away.

Samsung guarantee for tvs is only 1 year but your consumer rights exceed this, goods need to be fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I've been through the SCC for a ps3 and got a full refund after 3 years use btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

The problem you have is a know issue with the particular TV Model, Samsung know this and AFAIK they recalled these televisions in America when the problem presented itself.

Any reasonably competent TV repair person should be able to fix your TV.

The problem is usually a few capacitors on the power supply board, the repair guy knows this too, but all he is authorised to do is replace a board.

If I was in your situation I'd take what they are offering and use it to pay someone to repair the TV.

Saying all that I suspect that the service guy you had out to look at it has left an internal cable unplugged if it won't even switch on.

At this stage I'd get someone local that fixes TVs to have a look at it.

Google samsung tv repair (using model number), you'll find several short videos on youtube showing how to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

athtrasna wrote: »
    Hi OP - ask Samsung to replace the television. We had problems with a 4 year old one...sound no picture, also a known fault. TV cost about €2.5k at purchase time. To cut a long story short, a repair was quoted at €900 and a new equivalent TV was circa €800 so Samsung replaced the TV within 3 days.

Jeepers - 2.5k on a TV depreciated to 800 in 4 years. Celtic tiger eat your heart out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Hi,
    Working in retail and one that sells Tvs I'd be thinking you'll be offered about 20% of original price.There's a myth about 6year warranties but there is a 6 year "duty of care".I doubt very much it will change whether you deal with the manufacturer or the retailer.I believe the reasoning behind this is along the lines of that you have had 5 year use and a full refund would mean you didn't pay for the use of said Tv for those years.I understand there is another issue here as the a Tv was working(albeit intermittently)before Samsung rep got their hands on it but just thought Id throw in my 2pence worth.Hope you get it sorted as it's already an expensive time of year.

There are two peices of legislation at work here, the Sale of Goods Acts which stipulate the right of the consumer and the duties of the the retailer. There is then the Statute of Limitations Act, 1957 as amended that provides that a contract under the SOGA is limited to a period of six years to make a claim. Interestingly there are some exceptions but I'll spare you all the law lecture.

The small claims court may offer you more or about the same as Samsung, it will be the retailer you will have to sue and an award in court then needs to be enforced, in this case against Pixamania based in France. Good luck with that one. I'd take the money from Samsung in all honesty. Try to negotiate with the for a decent amount, TVs are much cheaper now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

homer911 wrote: »
    Jeepers - 2.5k on a TV depreciated to 800 in 4 years. Celtic tiger eat your heart out!

I love my HD plasma but want to cry at what you can get them for now! :D

Advertisement