Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depreciated refund from Samsung

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Bepolite wrote: »
    No you'd go through a process first.

Approach retailer, ask for a remedy. Retailer is likely to say no, or they could take too long to do it.

Write to them giving them 10 days to remedy (Optional step but best for paper work purposes) mark it Formal Complaint for the craic as it seems to be convention.

After ten days, get the repair done yourself, then submit the small claims paperwork for a refund of the repair value. It's very unlikely anyone is going to argue with the cost of a repair if it's reasonable. If it's over 5 years but less than 6 you might get it back, if it's over six it's unlikely, under 5 years almost certainly going to get something.

After looking at the threads on fixing the TV, it seems that replacing capacitors usually does the trick. This is what was attempted. Samsungs agent said that occasionally a new main board is needed, as it is in this case. Samsung are out of stock of this board, therefore a repair is not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

stimpson wrote: »
    After looking at the threads on fixing the TV, it seems that replacing capacitors usually does the trick. This is what was attempted. Samsungs agent said that occasionally a new main board is needed, as it is in this case. Samsung are out of stock of this board, therefore a repair is not feasible.

Did he or is he only authorised to replace the board as per the suggestion above? Samsung will have policies (and employ people with a level of skill) that doesn't stop you engaging someone else to do the repair who might do it differently.

That said this is only once you've exhausted the process I described and, of course, the repair man might be genuine in that the damage done by the capacitor going has also damaged the main board. (Had it happen to me on a video card)

Hopefully they'll stop messing you about with the refund and you'll at least get something towards the new TV.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Did he or is he only authorised to replace the board as per the suggestion above? Samsung will have policies (and employ people with a level of skill) that doesn't stop you engaging someone else to do the repair who might do it differently.

That said this is only once you've exhausted the process I described and, of course, the repair man might be genuine in that the damage done by the capacitor going has also damaged the main board. (Had it happen to me on a video card)

Hopefully they'll stop messing you about with the refund and you'll at least get something towards the new TV.

Engaging a repairman at my own expense could be risky as they generally have a set fee to look at a TV before they will give you an estimate. If they can't fix it, you're down €50 and even if they can fix it, there is no guarantee I can recover the costs from Samsung.

Another update.

I had a call from Samsung customer service this evening. After going around the houses yet again I was told he could calculate the depreciation. He said I'd see around 30% of the value of the TV. I'll be happy with that as it's a reasonable offer. Sorry to disappoint everyone, but it looks like a visit to the SCC isn't going to happen after all. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I just need to wait for the cheque now.

In the meantime I've ordered that EEPROM and I'll have a bash at it myself. Looks easy enough and I've got a decent soldering iron somewhere. Should be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Out of interest, how much was the tv to begin with and had you kept the receipt?

Out of interest, how much was the tv to begin with and had you kept the receipt?

€1068, and I bought it online so I had the receipt in email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

30%

Think you got off well with a 5 year old TV .. .Happy Christmas after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Why are Irish people so quick to side against the consumer?
    I have seen this time and time again in threads, on boards. Our laws are very clear yet companies constantly flaunt them (with our consent it seems) to the consumer's detriment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Very handy re the receipt. Must keep a folder of such big ticket item receipts myself.

Would have been nice if they'd stretched to 40%, at 30% it's effectively saying their TVs are worthless after only 7 or 8 years which isn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Another update.

I had a call from Samsung customer service this evening. After going around the houses yet again I was told he could calculate the depreciation. He said I'd see around 30% of the value of the TV. I'll be happy with that as it's a reasonable offer. Sorry to disappoint everyone, but it looks like a visit to the SCC isn't going to happen after all. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I just need to wait for the cheque now.

In the meantime I've ordered that EEPROM and I'll have a bash at it myself. Looks easy enough and I've got a decent soldering iron somewhere. Should be fun!

before opening the TV, wait till you get the EEPROM and have a look at the size of it, these things are super small!! Have you done much soldering before? What kind of Iron do you have?

Removing the old one will be tough, my advice is to cut the pins and remove the chip, it will make it much easier to to take the legs off one by one.

Once the the old one is off it might not be too bad to install the new one if your soldering iron head is small enough. Take your time with it too, if you get a bout of the shakes walk away! Come back later!

before opening the TV, wait till you get the EEPROM and have a look at the size of it, these things are super small!! Have you done much soldering before? What kind of Iron do you have?

Removing the old one will be tough, my advice is to cut the pins and remove the chip, it will make it much easier to to take the legs off one by one.

Once the the old one is off it might not be too bad to install the new one if your soldering iron head is small enough. Take your time with it too, if you get a bout of the shakes walk away! Come back later!

I've done a fair bit in my time (city and guilds in electronic servicing about 20 years ago) but I've never done any surface mount stuff. I've got a decent iron and some 1mm tips somewhere (never used the small tips)

Good tip about cutting the pins. I've been checking out tutorials on Youtube - I reckon I can hack it, as long as I don't make a balls of the pads. Flux paste is apparently the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Very handy re the receipt. Must keep a folder of such big ticket item receipts myself.

I scan all my receipts to my PC and then just keep them in a folder on my desktop. Really handy as sometimes the print on receipts fades very quickly or you lose the receipt or just don't have it to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I've done a fair bit in my time (city and guilds in electronic servicing about 20 years ago) but I've never done any surface mount stuff. I've got a decent iron and some 1mm tips somewhere (never used the small tips)

Good tip about cutting the pins. I've been checking out tutorials on Youtube - I reckon I can hack it, as long as I don't make a balls of the pads. Flux paste is apparently the way forward.

Dying to know how the repair goes...keep us all posted stimpson!! And good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Another update.

I still don't understand why a replacement wasn't an option if it's a known fault. Like I said previously, Samsung replaced my four year old TV.

So, finally I got a refund from Samsung - €209, but I did get €150 cashback with my new telly, and I currently have my old Freesat box on adverts and should see another €150 for that.

I did get to keep the LE40M86, so I might go looking for a new main board (replacing the EEPROM made no difference).

Not delighted with the outcome, but better than a kick in the balls. Thanks for watching.

Advertisement