Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Google Now" controlling you home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Oh man, such potential

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm not a fan of Google now. It's good for what it is but I never use it. This, however, is really cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I cannot see what interface he is using at the socket with these electricals (light & popcorn maker). I use WEMO and BBSB in my house but do not have voice setup for these - yet !! Might get at it over the Christmas.

But I'd still love to know what he is using at the sockets.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dummy wrote: »
    I cannot see what interface he is using at the socket with these electricals (light & popcorn maker). I use WEMO and BBSB in my house but do not have voice setup for these - yet !! Might get at it over the Christmas.

But I'd still love to know what he is using at the sockets.

Surely, they don't need voice activation though. He gives the voice command to tasker and then tasker sends a command that turns the device on or off over WiFi (I assume).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Surely, they don't need voice activation though. He gives the voice command to tasker and then tasker sends a command that turns the device on or off over WiFi (I assume).

It seems Now is just used as a voice bridge to Tasker alright. I'll have a play over christmas and see how it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

From the comment section...

"It's all fun and games until someone steals your phone and uses Google to unlock your house and turn off your alarm. This is plain stupid. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

"It's all fun and games until someone steals your phone and uses Google to unlock your house and turn off your alarm. This is plain stupid. "

LOL, as if keys never get stolen :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

jester77 wrote: »
    LOL, as if keys never get stolen :rolleyes:

Someone would quite easily know your home address from your phone, a set of keys would tell them nothing. Could be anywhere.

Not a big fan of Google Now anyway, so I've nothing to worry about! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Pin lock your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think anyone who links their phone to their alarm system and house keys is asking for trouble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

But surely Tasker needs some sort of interface to instruct to "switch this device on".

I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure I could get tasker to turn on my WEMO units ok. I'm using a mixture of IFTTT, NFC tags, etc to turn WEMO's on / off.

But Google Now would give me much greater flexibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Terrifyingly awesome. the integration potential with Google glass is also so cool. Goolge are going to own the world aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just change your password.

If someone gets into your phone + e-mails your probably screwed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I tried this out and it works as expected. I've set it up with my DIY heating controller and my oil tank gauge

To use voice commands i've resized the stock google search bar widget to 1x1 so its just a mic icon that you press which brings up the Google Now voice prompt. You can tell it "Turn heating on for X hours" where X is any number and the heating will come on for that long or you can ask it "How much oil is in the tank" and it will cause tasker to fetch the data and then speaks "There are approximately X litres of oil in the tank"

With either of these recognised commands tasker will then kill the Google Now app taking you back to the home screen which is a nice touch rather than leaving the web search open.

Advertisement