Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet on TV?

• 17-12-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

(Please move thread if in wrong forum)

Hi,

I want to have the internet on my TV. It's an LG 42" HD 1080P LCD TV WITH BUILT IN FREEVIEW, 2 X HDMI AND USB CONNECTIVITY - link.

I want to be able to used it as I would a laptop or PC, using a wireless keyboard & mouse.

Is there a device that will allow me to do this?

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Try this. There are cheaper models and by different manufacturers. You do get what you pay for, though. The cheaper dongles most of them are rubbish.

You can also try the Google ChromeCast but it's more for streaming media to the TV. I believe you can cast an google chrome tab, though. Never tried that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Hi RangeR,

Thanks for your help on this. I've decide to buy a new TV which has a VGA port, so I'll connect direct straight from the PC to TV via the VGA cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

iPaddyM wrote: »
    Hi RangeR,

Thanks for your help on this. I've decide to buy a new TV which has a VGA port, so I'll connect direct straight from the PC to TV via the VGA cable.

Just stumbled on this thread. Buying a new TV to get a connector that's being phased out isn't a great idea.
    It would be cheaper to buy a new graphics card for your pc with a hdmi port. It would probably even make more sense to buy a new pc.
    Does your current pc have a dvi port by any chance? This can be converted to hdmi for a few euro.

Hi Conar,

Nah, my PC is old, see this thread I just put up. How much would a HDMI graphics card set me back do you think?

Thanks

Hi Conar,

Nah, my PC is old, see this thread I just put up. How much would a HDMI graphics card set me back do you think?

Thanks

You would get one for about €50 to €80. It will be fine for playing video on the TV and play some old ish games. I got one for €60 about a year ago and it had one or two HDMI's with 1GB or 2GB of onboard RAM.

• Advertisement

Something like this from Komplett @ €40

Sweet! Thanks guys.

One last thing please?

The TV I'm going for a has a 50HZ refresh, would this be too low for watching movies?

Cheers

Sweet! Thanks guys.

One last thing please?

The TV I'm going for a has a 50HZ refresh, would this be too low for watching movies?

Cheers

I'm by no means an expert in the field, I'd be cautious. 100Hz seems to be the standard at the mo, and in or around your price range. I believe [but again, not expert] 120Hz is optimal as this is a multiple of 24 [regular movie FPS].

Some TV's even have USB ports in them, negating the need for the PC to be connected and using electicity. Just get a 64GB USB stick. Transfer some files from PC to USB every now and then. Winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

Sweet! Thanks guys.

One last thing please?

Cheers

I see that TV is over 3 years old and discontinued. Are you buying it second hand?
    If not maybe you should be considering something else.
    Give a little more info and someone should be able to help out.

Advertisement