Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Delivery - Possible to pump 320 litres in 1 Min 9 Sec from Oil Delivery truck?

• 17-12-2013 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the correct forum for this question, Mods please move if not tks.

Had oil delivery in March (300 litres) and marked a clean stick with the height in the tank

Had oil delivery today (320 litres) and the delivery line was about 2 inches below that line I had marked for 300 litres in March

I smell a rat. But how can I prove that I'm not getting what I'm paying for ??

I got a receipt but this looks like a modern print out and not the old ones I used to get that looked like old digits on it. This looks like a print out just.

The time of pumping start to finish is on the receipt and it seems it took 1 minute 9 seconds to pump 320 litres - is this possible? Are all pumps on oil delivery trucks different - I'm guessing they are, the truck was a 12 D so fairly new.

Any help would be appreciated. Hate to think I'm being screwed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

hmmmm.....seems tome that marking a line like that means exactly nothing unless you start with a completely empty tank.
    If there was more in before your last fill than there was this time it's perfectly plausible the lines dont match.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Was the tank empty on both occasions? If it was, then contact the oil company with your worries. They will not want to be making mistakes either and will be glad of your call. Don't go jumping down anyone's neck, just calmly explain your worries. This is assuming that you answered yes to my first line.

320 litres in a little over a minute is fast, but probably not impossible.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

500l/min from a little portable pump
    It comes with 2" BSP inlet and outlet ports and is capable of transferring diesel, gas oil, red diesel or biodiesel (30% biodiesel content) at up to 500 litres per minute.

http://www.rpmfuelandoilpumps.co.uk/petrol-powered-diesel-and-water-pumps/2-inch-petrol-engine-diesel-transfer-pump.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

also, as an afterthought? does oil expand / contract much with temperature? Mind 2 inches is a lot over the size of a tank.

Could be the driver is scamming both you and the company.

If you wanted to play it subtle you could always ring the office and ask them for a copy of the invoice and see if it matches what the driver gave you? My driver always prints the receipt from the computer attached to the truck, there'd be no way to scam unless he recalibrated the pump every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

wexie wrote: »
    hmmmm.....seems tome that marking a line like that means exactly nothing unless you start with a completely empty tank.
    If there was more in before your last fill than there was this time it's perfectly plausible the lines dont match.

Fair point
    Wearb wrote: »
    Was the tank empty on both occasions? If it was, then contact the oil company with your worries. They will not want to be making mistakes either and will be glad of your call. Don't go jumping down anyone's neck, just calmly explain your worries. This is assuming that you answered yes to my first line.

320 litres in a little over a minute is fast, but probably not impossible.

Have no plans to jump down people's neck just trying to work it out in my head really ;).

I really cannot remember if the tank was empty/close to empty in March so....

It was almost empty today, so I've marked a line of 320 litres on my dipstick, when I next need oil I'll get 320 litres also and let it run down to near empty again and then I can compare.

Thanks for your help on all responses.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    also, as an afterthought? does oil expand / contract much with temperature? Mind 2 inches is a lot over the size of a tank.

Could be the driver is scamming both you and the company.

If you wanted to play it subtle you could always ring the office and ask them for a copy of the invoice and see if it matches what the driver gave you? My driver always prints the receipt from the computer attached to the truck, there'd be no way to scam unless he recalibrated the pump every day.

As I say the receipt is like a print out (not the the older ones I used to get that had a mechanical looking figure on it) Maybe newer trucks have newer machines and dont use this type of font anymore ?

lc-positive-displacement-flow-meter.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

vicwatson wrote: »
    As I say the receipt is like a print out (not the the older ones I used to get that had a mechanical looking figure on it) Maybe newer trucks have newer machines and dont use this type of font anymore ?

The newer trucks have meters that are connected to a computer and printer in the cab.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I have an oil transfer pump that does 60 litres per minute. I remember talking to a delivery driver but I cannot remember how fast the lorries are but I remember thinking, jaysus that's fast towards mine.
    I think it was in the region of 350 - 450 litres per minute depending on the unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I just topped up with €500 and i imagine it took less than 2 minutes.

Stand and count to 70 and see how long that feels.

I just topped up with €500 and i imagine it took less than 2 minutes.

Stand and count to 70 and see how long that feels.

But this was 69 seconds :D:D

I know what you're saying.

Cheers for all replies, will keep an eye on the next 320 litres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement