Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When husky meets a donkey...

• 17-12-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hello Everyone,

Hoping someone in here could assist :)

I dog-sit this husky and on our walks their is this one field that homes a donkey. Each time we reach the gate/entrance to this field she would stop walking and look in for this donkey.

Whenever it's not there her tail goes down, but we continue on our merry way until we pass again on our way back and she repeats ie stop n look.

However, When the donkey is near the gate, the husky would stand there smiling at the donkey and wag her tail. The donkey would walk as close to the gate as possible and make this unusual sound (not the typical loud braying sound of a donkey); like a whisper/soft braying at which point her tail would start wagging real fast!

It's just so funny and cute watching the two when they meet as she then tries to enter the gate to get close to the donkey which won't happen by-the-way.

Just curious if anyone else has encountered any similar encounters when out walking their dogs.

She does be fascinated by sheep also, but not to same extent as this donkey.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I own an almost 3 year old male husky, with a very high prey drive, that starts with rabbits and cats... And progresses to goats, then you've guessed it - donkeys and horses!

He's in full on prey mode with the smaller animals... Mad to get off and chase, and probably kill cats, rabbits and goats. And usually just gets very excited at a passing horse (travellers on sulkies) or donkey.

We have met some at walls and gates and he's dead excited to go over and say hello. But that's all he gets. A hello, on a short lead.

We once lost him into a field of 3 horses, and typical husky... No recall when the field has more exciting things than what's in his treat bag. Nearly got himself and me killed in that field that day. I learnt a harsh lesson about letting him off his lead. Never again.

It's cute seeing them interact. But... It can change to a chase/kill very suddenly. Especially sheep, etc...

As they say in Fr. Ted... Careful, now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Was walking the dogs some time back in a field type area. Theres a wire fence where there are often cows in the other field. At one area of the fence there are 3 standalone steps. I was walking along and noticed Oscar wasnt near me (terrier cross breed) so looked around and way back behind us there he was up on the third step to the fence, tail wagging madly, nose to nose with a cow licking the cows face. I so wish I had brought my camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

When my Boxer was in his late puppy stage I would always say he was as wild as a goat. One day when we were walking we met a goat which my eejit decided was a playmate, said goat was just tied at the side of the road, my eejit was leaping around the place, tail going 90 and play bow's galore, he was having great fun with his new friend. The goat didnt think much of it and lowered his head a few times but he didn't really want to puck him, he just wanted him to feck off. Took me about 5-10 minutes to get the dog away because his recall went out the window.

It was hilarious at the time and still is now, thankfully he didn't get a puck which he probably deserved for annoying the poor goat. He wasn't allowed off the lead for a long time after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

My Lab does the same with horses. She never goes into the field, the horses come over to the fence and the almost touch nose to nose as they smell each other. Her tail is wagging, she thinks its great craic.

She is scared of cows on the other hand, tail under the legs and runs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My boy is absolutely not down with the horses. But his reaction to them is very similar to that of other dogs, so I'm thinking he just thinks they are MASSIVE dogs.

This one day, he noticed a few colts in a field we always walk past, and he lost his mind! Unfortunately the picture doesn't do his back end justice when one of the more brazen ones came over to have a look! ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah osky loves the horsies and demands to be picked up so he can touch noses

Advertisement