Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW 17 Captain Poll

• 17-12-2013 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Does anyone dare take it off Suarez?

Captain 129 votes

Suarez
    0% 0 votes
    Negredo
    87% 113 votes
    Remy
    0% 1 vote
    Rooney
    0% 1 vote
    Hazard
    6% 8 votes
    Giroud
    0% 1 vote
    Lukaku
    0% 0 votes
    Ramsey
    0% 1 vote
    Silva
    0% 1 vote
    Other
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

yomtea98 wrote: »

No. I don't even see the point in a poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Lemlin wrote: »
    No. I don't even see the point in a poll.

I only looked in to say the same thing, waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Turner has been showing glimpses of his goal-scoring potential recently and with a game against his former team in Sunderland he's surely an option? Poll fail :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

What's the point of this thread? Anyone with Suarez will captain him. Anyone without him doesn't take the game serious in any way and won't be checking forums like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tough one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lukaku, nailed on

not

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Think we should just have a: GW 17 - 38 Captain Thread

And let anyone post if they decide to take it of Suarez from now until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

How about a vice captain poll, where we can vote and discuss who we would captain if there was no Luis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

FHFC wrote: »
    How about a vice captain poll, where we can vote and discuss who we would captain if there was no Luis.

I think that would be a bit pointless too tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

unless Suarez gets hit by a bus before saturday I'll be picking him.
    In fact, even being hit by a bus, i'll still pick him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

jebforever wrote: »
    I think that would be a bit pointless too tbh.

Tongue. Cheek. Inserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Although i'll probably pick Suarez on Saturday morning, i still think Rooney & Negredo are very good captain shouts as well. They both have attractive fixtures against teams on a fairly poor run.

A cheeky punt on Rooney as a differential..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Brave person who claims they are captaining Remy this week, identify yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Suarez is class but Rooney is definitely a option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

I'm a little worried now. The last time Suarez had this level of support was before the Hull game and look what happened then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm a little worried now. The last time Suarez had this level of support was before the Hull game and look what happened then.

Don't worry, for once captain choice doesn't matter a damn, the rest of our teams will have to do the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Suarez

The more important question this week is who will be vice captain! how drunk will I get this weekend! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I tried the differential by picking Rooney last week and it backfired. Luckily, every one of my friends did the same thing and captained someone besides Suarez. I'll probably miss out on Rooney getting a hattrick now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

There are only 2 fixtures from which to pick an alternative to Suarez as captain, but neither team has a nailed on scorer (ManC / Manu). Suarez again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

FHFC wrote: »
    Yeah I'd like to see that. The Captain's poll is pointless at the moment, vice captain would give people a few hints if they wanted to be brave and try to pick someone other than Luis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd like to see that. The Captain's poll is pointless at the moment, vice captain would give people a few hints if they wanted to be brave and try to pick someone other than Luis

Captains pole is far from pointless, if some player fares better than Suarez this week we can see from the pole how bery bery wrong we all were

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Roonbox wrote: »
    Captains pole is far from pointless, if some player fares better than Suarez this week we can see from the pole how bery bery wrong we all were

Yeah but what is the benefit of captaining someone else than Suarez ? 3/4 or maybe even 4/5 of the active players will captain him. There is not any standout second choice since Aguero is injured and Rooney a doubt. Even if you're chasing, the season is still long enough (we haven't even reach half of it) to come back with e.g. 2 critical periods coming successively (Christmas and the January WC). So if your gamble succeeds it'll only be a triomph if Suarez has a stinker and your captain a blinder. If it fails it could end your hopes to catch up... To me FF is a succession of calculated risk and this one is too risky IMO.

Now that I've said all that it is due that Suarez will do nothing... :rolleyes:

No we were right. Sometimes the illogical decision renders a better outcome, kind of like going allin in a poker hand with 2 7 unsuited against pocket aces and winning.

Luis Suarez is pocket aces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

Has there ever been a week with a player on such a high percentage in this pole?

Has there ever been a week with a player on such a high percentage in this pole?
    I'd say RVP definitely would have been at some stage. Suarez hasn't reached his levels of sureness just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

A week?! Sure didn't Ronaldo have a whole year when he was with United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

CSF wrote: »
    I'd say RVP definitely would have been at some stage. Suarez hasn't reached his levels of sureness just yet.

16 goals + 10 assists in his opening 11 games? I'm not sure RVP, Bale, Ronaldo or Henry even matched that. I may be wrong, and it's a small sample size, but I can't remember anyone starting a season as explosively as Suarez has started his. He's averaged 12.4 points per game! The expectation is for him to score double digits against Cardiff. 12 points would actually be a statistical underachievement. He's unlikely to continue this form all season but it would be good to have the ability to measure him against previous FF kings. If only there was an archived database of FF figures from previous years... surely FPL could make the data available?

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    16 goals + 10 assists in his opening 11 games? I'm not sure RVP, Bale, Ronaldo or Henry even matched that. I may be wrong, and it's a small sample size, but I can't remember anyone starting a season as explosively as Suarez has started his. He's averaged 12.4 points per game! The expectation is for him to score double digits against Cardiff. 12 points would actually be a statistical underachievement. He's unlikely to continue this form all season but it would be good to have the ability to measure him against previous FF kings. If only there was an archived database of FF figures from previous years... surely FPL could make the data available?

Especially with all the turmoil around Malky Mackay, I expect the Cardiff to fold against Liverpool. Suarez hattrick.

Yes. Suarez has had an explosive start, but RVP had 2 seasons full of 10 points plus every week, I know which of those 2 situations I'd feel safer to captain. I know Suarez is the obvious captain choice this season but I don't know if I'd captain him more frequently than RVP of last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Fowler87 wrote: »
    A week?! Sure didn't Ronaldo have a whole year when he was with United!

He certainly did, and Henry before that.
    Captain choices were critical back then because if they didn't play there was no VC, it was tough luck.

He certainly did, and Henry before that.
    Captain choices were critical back then because if they didn't play there was no VC, it was tough luck.

I preferred that method. The first year of the vice captains one of my friends got a jammy vice captain in who scored after having not changed their team that week (with captain injured or suspended or something). The game shouldn't reward players who aren't active.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Yes. Suarez has had an explosive start, but RVP had 2 seasons full of 10 points plus every week, I know which of those 2 situations I'd feel safer to captain. I know Suarez is the obvious captain choice this season but I don't know if I'd captain him more frequently than RVP of last season

I think rvp was more of a consistent points scorer last season but very rarely got the big points total suarez is getting this season. Don't have the figures but I remember posting last year that he rarely scored more than once in a game. Lots of his gws were 9 pts a goal and 3 bps type weeks. Not having suarez on a number of weeks this season would have meant a really bad week. RVP on the otherhand last year justified his price and was a reliable captain choice but not as dynamic as suarez(of this season) in ff terms.

I think rvp was more of a consistent points scorer last season but very rarely got the big points total suarez is getting this season. Don't have the figures but I remember posting last year that he rarely scored more than once in a game. Lots of his gws were 9 pts a goal and 3 bps type weeks. Not having suarez on a number of weeks this season would have meant a really bad week. RVP on the otherhand last year justified his price and was a reliable captain choice but not as dynamic as suarez(of this season) in ff terms.
    Think your memory of RVP may be a little hazy, he was a big scorer on a number of occasions. I'd readily acknowledge that Suarez has hit higher heights over the last few weeks, but the consistency of RVP last year means that over the course of the season he would be a safer bet to captain every week. Suarez may well do this over the whole season and if he does it'll be a completely different conversation but for now he hasn't outdone RVP of the last 2 years just yet.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure RVP hasn't averaged 10+ over the last two seasons as a whole? Maybe for specific periods but not over the entire seasons? I'm in agreement with you here though, RVP wasn't called the postman for nothing! And Ronaldo was the standard captain choice for two years straight, almost took that part out of the game he was that consistent. Henry apparently was too, although I barely played the game back then.

Would be interesting to measure up the stats though. It wouldn't surprise me if Suarez has had the best opening run of any FF player to date. Absolutely phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Although i'll probably pick Suarez on Saturday morning, i still think Rooney & Negredo are very good captain shouts as well. They both have attractive fixtures against teams on a fairly poor run.

A cheeky punt on Rooney as a differential..

Differential? - good thinking there:D

Did some rough calculations and in terms of points per minute, RVP's 2011/12-2012/13 seasons came to about 55% of Suarez's 11 games. The most amazing 11 games anyone has really had, some might think 55% isn't alot but for me over a 2 year period that is the consistency I would want. As I said, Suarez could match or exceed that over the course of the season but he hasn't done yet.

Agreed, he's given himself a decent headstart though and no sign of slowing down.

Agreed, he's given himself a decent headstart though and no sign of slowing down.

Yup, not saying he won't, just that he hasn't. Luckily there is no decision to be made between the 2 so I'm safe in my indecision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Think your memory of RVP may be a little hazy, he was a big scorer on a number of occasions. I'd readily acknowledge that Suarez has hit higher heights over the last few weeks, but the consistency of RVP last year means that over the course of the season he would be a safer bet to captain every week. Suarez may well do this over the whole season and if he does it'll be a completely different conversation but for now he hasn't outdone RVP of the last 2 years just yet.

Just looked at his stats for last year rvp got hat tricks against villa and southampton and 2 goals against wigan. These were the only times he scored more than 1 league goal last year. Very surprised with this but rvp failed to score a goal in 17 of utds 38 league games last year. He did manage 15 assists a lot of them coming after Jan when he was struggling for goals until the hat trick against villa in April. He kept the score ticking over throughout last year by either scoring or assisting and sometimes both but he didnt have a huge amount of double digit scores and the flip side not too many 2pt weeks either. He was consistent and a reliable captain but suarez has had 5 wks out of 11 so far that have returned over 15 pts. I'd be surprised if rvp got over 15 pts more than 3 times all last season.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=30289&season_id=142

The last three games alone, has anyone in the Premier League ever score 7 goals and 6 assists in 3 games? I know a couple of people have knocked in 5 goals in a PL game but that was generally a once off. He's averaged 20+ points his last three games, it is f**king ridiculous!

The last three games alone, has anyone in the Premier League ever score 7 goals and 6 assists in 3 games? I know a couple of people have knocked in 5 goals in a PL game but that was generally a once off. He's averaged 20+ points his last three games, it is f**king ridiculous!
    Yeah its phenomenal but its still over a very short space of time.

Yep. He has a decent chance of averaging over 10 points per game by the end of the season which would surely be a first.

Yep. He has a decent chance of averaging over 10 points per game by the end of the season which would surely be a first.
    It would be remarkable. They'll still find a way of giving Scott Parker or Jack Wilshere PFA Player of the Year though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Henry was a beast in fairness. 02/03, 24 goals and 23 assists in 37 games. The year after, 30 goals and 9 assists in 2003-2004.

I just remember him in 05/06 when I first played the game, 27 goals and 7 assists in 32 games. That was diminished returns for him!

I hadn't played before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not sure if it's a good idea to be captaining Suarez now,he was stocking up today.

article-0-1A3AE3F000000578-909_634x380.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

zerks wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a good idea to be captaining Suarez now,he was stocking up today.

article-0-1A3AE3F000000578-909_634x380.jpg

Even if he managed to drink all that, he'd still be a safer captains choice than Lukaku!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

yomtea98 wrote: »

Negredo for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

No chance of me taking it off Suarez!

• Advertisement
Advertisement