Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Nursing

Options
  • 17-12-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I have recently completed a FETAC level 5 Healthcare support course and would like to apply for nursing as a mature student. The problem is i completed 8 modules getting 6 distinctions and 2 merits.

I hear FETAC places are very limited and you need 8 distinctions? Have i even a slim chance applying as a mature or is it a waste of time? I would really love to do nursing though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

If you're over 23 then you can apply as a mature student and your FETAC results won't have any influence on your application. Mature nursing applicants have to sit a set of aptitude tests in April and the results will determine whether you will get a place or not.

As far as I know, you can't apply for nursing as a FETAC student with Healthcare Support, its only the Pre-Nursing Studies that has links to 3rd Level Nursing but as long as you're 23 or over the you can certainly apply as a mature student. You'll need to apply through the CAO by the 1st February. Good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Mature applicants dont need to have any prior educational qualifications to apply for nursing. You are assessed on the basis of your performance in the assessment test. Just make sure if you are applying as a mature applicant that you meet the mature student criteria and that you use the Mature applicant CAO codes on your application.

The nursing careers center do a very handy book on applying to nursing for all applicants, including FETAC and Mature. I've attached it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Sinny2

Fetac places are practically impossible to get but any mature student on the pre nursing course i did got a place through the mature route

Advertisement