Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The.King

I've answered my own question above, as I tried Windows option 2 in the OP and it worked fine - so thanks to all.

One parting question is though - I can't seem to reset my Thomson to the default by pushing in & holding the reset button at the back for >30sec as the OP suggests?

The reason I ask this is - I wanted to make sure that bridging would work (which is does), but my new Netgear router is only on it's way to me now and as a result - I only have wired access at present and no WiFi network - so I'd like to revert back to default until my router comes. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭alanbk

Hi All.

My UPC 7200 modem rebooted this morning and my IP changed after the restart. Does this mean I am no longer in bridge mode ? Thanks again.

alanbk wrote: »
    Hi All.

My UPC 7200 modem rebooted this morning and my IP changed after the restart. Does this mean I am no longer in bridge mode ? Thanks again.
    Did it change to a 192.168.0.x IP? If so then it's not in bridge mode.

Karsini wrote: »
    Did it change to a 192.168.0.x IP? If so then it's not in bridge mode.
    No. I meant my public ip changed. From 80.108. Etc to 89.109. My LAN ip is still 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

No. I meant my public ip changed. From 80.108. Etc to 89.109. My LAN ip is still 192.168.1.1

login to the modem and check ? it'll be fairly obvious which modes its in. I'd be surprised if it has changed, as I've gone through 3 different IPs and numerous reboots at this stage, and its never reverted.

You could also patch your laptop into one of the wired ports on the Thomson, and see what IP you get. If you get an Class C address, its reverted.

• Advertisement

That's fine, you're still bridged. :) UPC have a few different IP ranges, ones I know of are 89.101.x.x, 109.255, 80.111, 37.228, 188.141

Thought as much. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

Can anybody please tell me if this trick still works?

I have a Thomson TWG-870U which is running STBA.01.75
    But I use an Netgear Wndr3700 flashed with DD-WRT to handle my wireless routing.

I have a computer with Ubuntu 14.4 installed so I would prefers to use the Linux method.

Can somebody please list the steps that I need to do to get this to work using Linux?

For example, do I need to connect or disconnect either router?
    do I still need to disconnect the coax cable?
    Do I need to change any settings on the Thomson before or after.

The guides for Windows seem really detailed but there is not much said on this thread about the Linux method so more detail would be really appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

Lazy: I can't help you as I'm unfamiliar with Linux.

Does anyone know why the US light keeps flashing on my Thonson modem? I still have Internet however.

I presume it's your outbound upstream traffic !

• Advertisement

No it doesn't usually flash. Usually the DS and US lights are solid. It turns on for 2 seconds then off for another 2. My Internet is fine but I'm just curious as to why it's doing it all of a sudden.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Asm wrote: »
    No it doesn't usually flash. Usually the DS and US lights are solid. It turns on for 2 seconds then off for another 2. My Internet is fine but I'm just curious as to why it's doing it all of a sudden.
    Thanks.

Check the upstream sync power in your connection stats (low to mid 40's are best) maybe they are borderline or not all 4 channels are synced properly.

Dave..M wrote: »
    Check the upstream sync power in your connection stats (low to mid 40's are best) maybe they are borderline or not all 4 channels are synced properly.

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. One upstream power channel was 39 so I removed the splitter and it went up to 41 after a reboot. The light is now constant.
    Thank you very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 touri

Hi Karsini,
    first of all: thanks for the great feedback. Now my problem :)

Yesterday i tried to bridge my TC7200 STD6.01.27 without success.
    I manage to bridge it without the coax plugged in, but everytime i plug it back in the setting get reverted and "hello router mode my dear friend". Tried to bridge it on the factory version and on the updated version, but same problem every time. I live in germany.

You mentioned a possibility to freeze the firmware:
    Originally Posted by white_westie
    Without discussing any details, do you think that the tc7200's could be reconfigured back to modem/router mode and locked down as part of a firmware upgrade?
    Karsini wrote: »
    Sent you a PM. :)

Can you give me details on that? I'll brick the s**t out of TC7200 if necessary.

touri wrote: »
    Hi Karsini,
    first of all: thanks for the great feedback. Now my problem :)

Yesterday i tried to bridge my TC7200 STD6.01.27 without success.
    I manage to bridge it without the coax plugged in, but everytime i plug it back in the setting get reverted and "hello router mode my dear friend". Tried to bridge it on the factory version and on the updated version, but same problem every time. I live in germany.

You mentioned a possibility to freeze the firmware:

Can you give me details on that? I'll brick the s**t out of TC7200 if necessary.
    Your ISP block bridge mode, simple as. Can't be reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hi all.

I've been posting on the other thread about my woes with GUI bridge mode disconnects on the tc7200.
    I'm using a netgear r6300 as my router and the tc7200 as my bridged modem but getting disconnects every 40 minutes.

Can I still use this SNMP method outlined on the original post to enable bridge mode or is the latest firmware causing problems with ISP blocking bridge mode??.

Just want to be sure before I make the change.

Thanks

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hi all.

I've been posting on the other thread about my woes with GUI bridge mode disconnects on the tc7200.
    I'm using a netgear r6300 as my router and the tc7200 as my bridged modem but getting disconnects every 40 minutes.

Can I still use this SNMP method outlined on the original post to enable bridge mode or is the latest firmware causing problems with ISP blocking bridge mode??.

Just want to be sure before I make the change.

Thanks
    You can still use the SNMP method on .27 but you need to disconnect the TV cable before it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

I'm waiting for UPC to implement ipv6 in my area.
    Every now and then I'm powering down my TWG-870U, connect only my laptop, power up and look to see if I receive an ipv6 address. So far no luck.

Does anybody with an TWG-870U in modem mode receive ipv6? If so, I presume you are using also a router behind Thomson. What are your ipv6 settings? I would expect native ipv6 and I hope UPC is providing a /64.

Thanks

They have rolled out v6 to some customers but they're using DS-Lite, so you get a private v4 address.

If it's indeed DS-Lite the method they choose to implement I will say "no thanks"...I'm happy with the current setup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 xerophyll

drabisan wrote: »
    If it's indeed DS-Lite the method they choose to implement I will say "no thanks"...I'm happy with the current setup :)

just out of curiosity here, why would say that?
    i think my tc7200 here in cork is already on ipv6, but how can i confirm that?

drabisan wrote: »

I would do the same. Thanks but no thanks...I don't need DS-Lite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Just adding my name to this list.
    Got it working with my THompson today and Mikrotik behind it. All working great so far.
    Only issue is I cant est. IPSec VPN but that could be just my config.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Can anyone recommend a router with 802.11ac support? Every non-wired device in my house has ac support now and I have a TWG870, so I thought I might give this a go. Any sub €200 ac routers I see don't get good reviews - there must be something decent out there.

I'm using for quite a while an RT-AC68U behind a TWG870.
    Asus had lot of firmware issues but last 2-3 versions are finally working properly.
    It's stable and fast.
    My laptop has an Intel AC7260 wireless adapter and it works very well with Asus. In 5GHz I'm reaching easily 400mbps transfer speed. And that's more than ok for wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

OK - Just ordered a Netgear R7000 from amazon.de for €127 - it had €30 off for a limited time.

Seems to be the daddy of ac routers and substantially cheaper than what I can order it for here or in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'm trying to bridge the Technicolor router UPC provide.

I bridged a Thomson. No bother once you figure out what's going on. Is it literally the same procedure?

I'm trying to bridge the Technicolor router UPC provide.

I bridged a Thomson. No bother once you figure out what's going on. Is it literally the same procedure?

Identical to the Thomson. Might need to remove the RF cable though.

Hi all,
    Earlier today my Internet went and the Thomson couldn't get a stable DS light. I put this down to the IPv6 being rolled out. However when I arrived home I noticed the Thomson was now in Modem/router mode with wireless enabled. It's as if it restored itself. What do you think caused this? I'm worried it's being hacked or something.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Asm wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Earlier today my Internet went and the Thomson couldn't get a stable DS light. I put this down to the IPv6 being rolled out. However when I arrived home I noticed the Thomson was now in Modem/router mode with wireless enabled. It's as if it restored itself. What do you think caused this? I'm worried it's being hacked or something.

Thank you.

I live in Dublin 3 and my UPC was down from 05:40 until 17:20! Modem didn't reboot and is still bridged though.

Advertisement