Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pmon

Ok that did the trick I removed the cable and used the mibbrowser and managed to change the value back to 1.

So 2 questions :

1. is the router/modem now in bridge mode automatically?

2. should i disable the wi-fi i assume its no use anyway now that i have a new faster router?

cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

pmon wrote: »
    Ok that did the trick I removed the cable and used the mibbrowser and managed to change the value back to 1.

So 2 questions :

2. should i disable the wi-fi i assume its no use anyway now that i have a new faster router?

cheers!!

Sounds like the router was still in bridge mode if it's IP was 192.168.100.1 so all you needed to do was hook up your new router but if you still needed to change the key I'm not sure, just check the WAN address your new router is getting and make sure it's a public IP, if it is you're done. I suggest you disable wifi direct in the admin console rather than the button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Dave..M wrote: »
    Sounds like the router was still in bridge mode if it's IP was 192.168.100.1 so all you needed to do was hook up your new router but if you still needed to change the key I'm not sure, just check the WAN address your new router is getting and make sure it's a public IP, if it is you're done. I suggest you disable wifi direct in the admin console rather than the button.

192.168.100.1 is always available m8,at least on the TC7200,not sure why tbh :)

pmon wrote: »

So 2 questions :

cheers!!

Should be m8,yes disable WiFi and use your other router :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Is there a guide for the UPC Horizon Samsung box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Getting timeout when I try to get to my TC7200 using mib browser. Firewall disabled on windows laptop and the TC7200.
    Any ideas?
    Edit: i didnt have the coax cable unplugged, can that cause it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Getting timeout when I try to get to my TC7200 using mib browser. Firewall disabled on windows laptop and the TC7200.
    Any ideas?
    Edit: i didnt have the coax cable unplugged, can that cause it?

It was ok with coax unplugged

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was wondering if folks with experience in SNMP help with this?

I'm trying to see if it is possible to bridge the new modem UPC has started issuing, the Ubee EVW3226. I've had no luck getting it to work, but I've had some interesting results, which folks with experience in SNMP might be able to debug and help with.

Running the following command against 192.168.0.1 from a mac didn't work:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

However running the same command against 192.168.100.1 gave the following interesting results:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.100.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1
    Error in packet.
    Reason: noAccess
    Failed object: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0

Any ideas on where we could go from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

bk wrote: »
    I was wondering if folks with experience in SNMP help with this?

I'm trying to see if it is possible to bridge the new modem UPC has started issuing, the Ubee EVW3226. I've had no luck getting it to work, but I've had some interesting results, which folks with experience in SNMP might be able to debug and help with.

Running the following command against 192.168.0.1 from a mac didn't work:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

However running the same command against 192.168.100.1 gave the following interesting results:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.100.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1
    Error in packet.
    Reason: noAccess
    Failed object: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0

Any ideas on where we could go from here.

At a guess - I would say its returning an error because there is no node at that address (192.168.100.1)

Does the IP respond to a ping ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Shane732 wrote: »
    Is there a guide for the UPC Horizon Samsung box?

this particular method in the thread isn't compatible with the horizon box - you are better off asking UPC to decouple the modem and see can you get a Thomson or better one of the Cisco modems that supports bridging out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

wiz569 wrote: »
    Just watch out for dropouts,that switchmode page can also be used on the TC7200 but there has been a few reports of frequent dropouts when switched that way

That url uses .cgi files and not .asp (active server pages.net) as the TC7200 uses. How did you get this to work on the TC7200?

That url uses .cgi files and not .asp (active server pages.net) as the TC7200 uses. How did you get this to work on the TC7200?

I didnt I used the correct address for the TC7200

http://192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp

I was talking in general about using the switch mode url

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

I didnt I used the correct address for the TC7200

192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp

I was talking in general about using the switch mode url

Right. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get that mode to stick. It always reverts after a modem reboot. Plugged or unplugged.

Right. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get that mode to stick. It always reverts after a modem reboot. Plugged or unplugged.

I did it once just to check it and it lasted ok but I switched back due to complaints of it dropping out regularly,

I will be trying the mib browser method in the next week or so though,as I can no longer put up with the dreadful wireless range :(

Ok, got a chance to hookup my Netgear Nighthawk, ran the snmpset command, didn't work the first few times, found out you need to do it quickly as soon as the UPC modem boots.

Once set it was as matter of just setting up the Nighthawk to my liking.

Ran a speedtest on m iP6, from upstairs on the 5GHz connection. The difference is night and day :cool:

nNoGaum.png

Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

My Cisco modem has crapped out on me.....giving slow speeds and all kinds of crap. Randomly dropping signal and rebooting. I have a technicolor hanging around. I'm trying to figure out if I should get that provisioned by UPC or not? Anyone else on 240Mb with this modem?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My Cisco modem has crapped out on me.....giving slow speeds and all kinds of crap. Randomly dropping connection. I have a technicolor hanging around. I'm trying to figure out if I should get that provisioned by UPC or not? Anyone else on 240Mb with this modem?

Yes, 240Mb/s does work on the Cisco DOCSIS 3.0 modem, however it has a tendy to over heat and crash.

This can usually be fixed by putting a cheap USB powered fan underneath the modem.

I'll give it a go when I get home. Give it some extra cooling. If all else fails I can always try the bridge mode on the technicolor. it worked on an old Thomson so why not this?

I'll give it a go when I get home. Give it some extra cooling. If all else fails I can always try the bridge mode on the technicolor. it worked on an old Thomson so why not this?

Bridging via SNMP work fine on the technicolor as long as it is using IPv4. I've the Technicolor bridged myself.

• Advertisement

Bridging via SNMP work fine on the technicolor as long as it is using IPv4. I've the Technicolor bridged myself.

Cool man :). That's great to hear

Just to update. I bridged the technicolor last night and it works like a charm. I'm getting faster speeds with that then I was from the Cisco!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Okay, I've procrastinated long enough and this Technicolor is driving me cracked. Looking for a router to bridge with it. Any good options at around 50euro. Just need it to be better than the standalone TC POS.

Okay, I've procrastinated long enough and this Technicolor is driving me cracked. Looking for a router to bridge with it. Any good options at around 50euro. Just need it to be better than the standalone TC POS.

Maybe one of these ones (note I can't vouch for them as I haven't read any reviews of them yet):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-Storage-Sharing-Parental/dp/B00NNPDEDE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422793857&sr=8-2&keywords=tp-link+archer
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-C2-Wireless-Gigabit-Storage/dp/B00K0MJ8DS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1422793857&sr=8-6&keywords=tp-link+archer

Though if you can stretch your budget a little, you would get much better performance from the Archer C7

Maybe one of these ones (note I can't vouch for them as I haven't read any reviews of them yet):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-Storage-Sharing-Parental/dp/B00NNPDEDE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422793857&sr=8-2&keywords=tp-link+archer
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-C2-Wireless-Gigabit-Storage/dp/B00K0MJ8DS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1422793857&sr=8-6&keywords=tp-link+archer

Though if you can stretch your budget a little, you would get much better performance from the Archer C7

Thank you bk, I don't mind paying for the C7 if its worth the extra and I'll get my monies worth. Do I need to consider Ipv4 /6 or anything else. Is the bridging gonna be something I can do regardless of anything UPC do? Don't want to end up with a paper weight.

Thank you bk, I don't mind paying for the C7 if its worth the extra and I'll get my monies worth. Do I need to consider Ipv4 /6 or anything else. Is the bridging gonna be something I can do regardless of anything UPC do? Don't want to end up with a paper weight.

If your UPC modem is in IPv6, then you won't be able to bridge it. However it is easy to get it switched to IPv4 by simply ending a PM to the UPC reps here on boards. They don't seem to have any issues doing it.

You can do this now, before you even order the C7.

Beyond that you should be able to bridge without UPC's help.

I'd recommend the C7, it is easily the best value for money router available at the moment. It performs just as well as the very top routers, while being almost half the price! Hard to beat that deal.

I know its been said before that the phone ports still work when in bridged mode,I presume its still the case?

I know its been said before that the phone ports still work when in bridged mode,I presume its still the case?

Yes

If your UPC modem is in IPv6, then you won't be able to bridge it. However it is easy to get it switched to IPv4 by simply ending a PM to the UPC reps here on boards. They don't seem to have any issues doing it.

You can do this now, before you even order the C7.

Beyond that you should be able to bridge without UPC's help.

I'd recommend the C7, it is easily the best value for money router available at the moment. It performs just as well as the very top routers, while being almost half the price! Hard to beat that deal.

Great info, thanks again bk. Any idea how to check if in IPv6?

• Advertisement

Great info, thanks again bk. Any idea how to check if in IPv6?

I'm not 100% certain, as I've never actually seen one on a UPC router myself yet, but I think this is what you should look for:

On the system status page of the UPC router, check the "CM IP Address" field.
    If it looks something like 10.68.x.x then it is IPv4
    If it looks something like 3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf then it is IPv6

Also in IPv6 mode there should be no (port) forwarding options under advanced.

Advertisement