Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Checked my router settings last night and I have that hidden menu that I can just select bridge mode. Is that all I need to do or will I have to go through the steps outlined in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Checked my router settings last night and I have that hidden menu that I can just select bridge mode. Is that all I need to do or will I have to go through the steps outlined in the OP.

Plug one laptop/PC on the router and nothing else!, switch it to bridge mode, wait few minutes and you should have an public IPv4 address on your laptop.
    Make sure the setting doesn't roll back to router mode after a reboot. Also, the definitive confirmation is after few hours/a day. For some users UPC overwrite bridge setting.

drabisan wrote: »
    Plug one laptop/PC on the router and nothing else!, switch it to bridge mode, wait few minutes and you should have an public IPv4 address on your laptop.
    Make sure the setting doesn't roll back to router mode after a reboot. Also, the definitive confirmation is after few hours/a day. For some users UPC overwrite bridge setting.

Thanks for that. Ordered my router just now so hopefully will have it by the weekend and I can sort this mess out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

As an update - no drops in service so it's looking great.

I have an ac68u as my router, just got the PCE-68u wireless card yesterday. Getting full speeds consistently over wireless. My mind was blown lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Great info, thanks again bk. Any idea how to check if in IPv6?

Test for Ipv6 below:

http://test-ipv6.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

As an update - no drops in service so it's looking great.

I have an ac68u as my router, just got the PCE-68u wireless card yesterday. Getting full speeds consistently over wireless. My mind was blown lol.

hah, I had a similar reaction with my Asus router and iPhone 6 :)

Could someone please upload CMwatch. I can't find it anywhere. The link in the OP is dead, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Could someone please upload CMwatch. I can't find it anywhere. The link in the OP is dead, thanks in advance.

Try the link on guide two, different application but hopefully same result

Dave..M wrote: »
    Try the link on guide two, different application but hopefully same result

Won't connect for me, keep getting an timed out error, with a few different reasons as to why. Anyone got CMwatch.

Is the live cd an easier option? Which live cd is best and how would I go about entering the command listed?

Ok, I disconnected the coax cable and rebooted my TC7200 and MIB browser picked it up straight away. Did the changes and turned off and reconnected the coax then rebooted. I can't enter the TC2700 page 192.168.0.1, just get page unavailable. Get into it with this address http://192.168.100.1/ and loads of oprtions missing so am I good to go, think this might have worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

Bought a archer c2 yesterday. Put the technicolor in bridge mode through the website option and hooked up the archer. Everything went OK apart from the 5ghz WiFi was awful. This morning nothing would work. Checked the router was still in bridge mode, it was. Rebooted both modems and worked again.Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

I've switched my TC7200 using the switchmode.asp to be Bridged.
    But I don't have a public IP address on my pc.

I had originally set router (Asus RT-AC66U) to Static IP 192.168.0.2- should I change this now to Automatic IP or PPPoE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mildsteel

Went to login onto tecnicolor reuter to have a go at bridge mode and got this message.
    Customer care has activated the wan interface please wait.
    Any idea whats going on there!

vicadd wrote: »
    I've switched my TC7200 using the switchmode.asp to be Bridged.
    But I don't have a public IP address on my pc.

I had originally set router (Asus RT-AC66U) to Static IP 192.168.0.2- should I change this now to Automatic IP or PPPoE ?

If you bridged it and if it stays in bridge mode, you should receive a public ip for your laptop/desktop. If not, it means is not in bridge more.
    Only after confirming it is and stays in bridge mode, you can connect the router. And no, router shouldn't have a static ip. You have to configure it in Automatic IP, under WAN>"WAN Connection Type ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Thanks drabisan
    Have public WAN IP on my router now after switching to Automatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

wiz569 wrote: »
    I didnt I used the correct address for the TC7200

http://192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp

I was talking in general about using the switch mode url

Couldn't find the switch mode in my settings but when I click on the link above it brings me to it, why is it hidden?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Couldn't find the switch mode in my settings but when I click on the link above it brings me to it, why is it hidden?

Because you shouldn't use it on the Technicolor TC7200, it isn't stable and causes the UPC modem to crash constantly.

You need to use the SNMP technique to enable bridging on the Technicolor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

bk wrote: »
    Because you shouldn't use it on the Technicolor TC7200, it isn't stable and causes the UPC modem to crash constantly.

You need to use the SNMP technique to enable bridging on the Technicolor.

My modem hasn't crashed but my phone is connected to the WiFi but it won't load any webpages etc, will take it out and possibly try the method you mention.

Can anyone help please, i have been trying the procedure in the first post 2nd method for windows but no matter what i do i keep getting error message when i input details in the mib browser, have disabled firewall in reuter and pc but still the same.. have tried the first post but unsure about link to cm watch, cant see which one to download, would appreciate any help , need to get my own reuter back up and away from this piece of junk!!

mildsteel wrote: »
    Can anyone help please, i have been trying the procedure in the first post 2nd method for windows but no matter what i do i keep getting error message when i input details in the mib browser, have disabled firewall in reuter and pc but still the same.. have tried the first post but unsure about link to cm watch, cant see which one to download, would appreciate any help , need to get my own reuter back up and away from this piece of junk!!

Looks like i got it i think, strange thing when i changed the value to 1 it did,nt reboot , so swiched it of/on again and checked ip on the pc and it had a wan ip.. So many thanks to all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi lads, I started using my own router because the Technicolor WiFi is absolute rubbish. I put the Technicolor modem/router in bridge mode using this: http://192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp
    Then rebooted, connected my Asus 68ac router. It worked for few minutes and then it stopped. No internet connection via WiFi or cable. Can anyone explained why is the happening and what am I doing wrong? Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

Sounds like it reverted to router mode.
    After switching to bridge mode, confirm that it stays in bridge mode. Use a laptop or PC and a cable connected to Technicolor. Nothing else should be connected.
    If it stays in bridge mode for some times (hours), reboot it couple of times and if it still works in bridge mode, only then proceed with connecting a router.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The switch mode isn't stable on the technicolor. You need to use the SNMP approach to bridge the Technicolor.

drabisan wrote: »
    Sounds like it reverted to router mode.
    After switching to bridge mode, confirm that it stays in bridge mode. Use a laptop or PC and a cable connected to Technicolor. Nothing else should be connected.
    If it stays in bridge mode for some times (hours), reboot it couple of times and if it still works in bridge mode, only then proceed with connecting a router.
    bk wrote: »
    The switch mode isn't stable on the technicolor. You need to use the SNMP approach to bridge the Technicolor.

Thanks lads. I'll try later this evening.

kave2 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. I'll try later this evening.

Tried switch mode and its not stable, snmp works for sure!!

Done it using the second method . Thanks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

If you have issues connecting with the 7200, unplug the coax and restart it. It should connect instantly to your pc the.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

It's now more then a month on. This modem is simply working. Haven't had a single drop in link or speed. Never even seen that before, I'm amazed! Kinda surprised too. I thought the technicolor would have all kinds of issues :-P.

It's now more then a month on. This modem is simply working. Haven't had a single drop in link or speed. Never even seen that before, I'm amazed! Kinda surprised too. I thought the technicolor would have all kinds of issues :-P.

And it will keep working! Mine is is working since the day I post the Linux command that converted it to a blind modem! Meanwhile UPC upgraded the speed and no problems whatsoever!
    I would upgrade to 240mbps but I'm afraid they will ask me to replace it. That and numerous speed issue people are reporting for 240 are making me keep the current status.
    It works just perfect, it's stable on LONG run...so ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

I'm struggling to get this running on my TC7200. All I've tried at this stage is doing an snmpwalk, and I'm getting a 'no response' error.
    I've tried to use make requests through both Linux command line and using the 'i-reasoning' mib browser to '192.168.0.1' with no luck. I've disabled the firewall both in windows and in the router (does it require a restart?) but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions/help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Switch off modem unplug the coax then reboot it. Wait till puter connects to network and it should work

Advertisement