Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Pataman wrote: »
    Switch off modem unplug the coax then reboot it. Wait till puter connects to network and it should work

Thanks for replying. I turned off the router, unplugged the coax from the wall and restarted it. It didn't seem to make a difference. I can connect to the router login page from my PC and login, but I still can't do a snmpwalk. It gives me a timeout error in the i-reasoning MIB browser.

That did do it! I originally mis-read your comment and plugged the coax back in after restarting. I'm able to do a snmpwalk with it plugged out.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Ok got this thing bridged at the weekend which is great, now I can't get my d-link dir 855 to talk to the Thompson properly. Should it be set up as an AP or a router?

Does anyone know how I set this up properly?

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dir-855-xtreme-n-duo-media-router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Ok got this thing bridged at the weekend which is great, now I can't get my d-link dir 855 to talk to the Thompson properly. Should it be set up as an AP or a router?

Does anyone know how I set this up properly?

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dir-855-xtreme-n-duo-media-router

If the Thompson is bridged then set the dlink as a router

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I'm struggling to get this running on my TC7200. All I've tried at this stage is doing an snmpwalk, and I'm getting a 'no response' error.
    I've tried to use make requests through both Linux command line and using the 'i-reasoning' mib browser to '192.168.0.1' with no luck. I've disabled the firewall both in windows and in the router (does it require a restart?) but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions/help?
    I used the MIB browser and it worked. Try disconnecting all cables, leave only power and RJ45 to your laptop. Good luck

Didn't see the previous replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

How come every time I bridge the modem, when I plug the coax back in it reverts back to router mode? Is this the ipv6 thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Saevio

slinky2000 wrote: »
    How come every time I bridge the modem, when I plug the coax back in it reverts back to router mode? Is this the ipv6 thing?

For me it was the fact that they'd applied DS Lite. After I contacted them and told me I needed to use portforwarding for my backup solution and some other things similar (which sort of requires and external IPV4) they were kind enough to change me back.

YMMV.

(Once I was off DS Lite and had an external IPV4, Reboots were fine.)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭capailldubh

Hi All
    I bridged my 7200 a long time ago. I have Blueiris ip camera software running. Everything worked fine but then I lost outside connectivity recently after a "reset" by the powers that be. I think my 7200 is still bridged, I can log in on 192.168.100.1 with reduced menus and my Netgear router is still working. I have tried everything I know to get cams back. They work fine on wifi but will not go outside via my public ip. Do I need to port forward the 7200 if it is in bridge mode? I tried with all the firewalls disabled etc. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Can anyone access the twg870 router from outside their home lan network?

I have ticked the box which says remote config but when i try to access from my phone outside home it prompts with a window asking for the login details

However the details which work at home for logging in on the lan don't work when I'm outside

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Milhooz

Hi,

Just to let you know that if you want to enable bridge mode just to use VPN or because Port Forwarding/DMZ is not working on your TC7200, it is because you have DS Lite enabled on your connection and you can request UPC to disable it. Just read this thread: www*boards.ie/ttfthread/2057282895/

I'm saying that because I found your thread looking for a solution for being unable to connect to my office VPN (and also I could host any multiplayer games) and this did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Guys, just wondering when tc7200 is put to bridge mode using the snmp command on Linux, should you still see the 'Wireless' tab when accessed modem GUI via 192.168.100.1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

Yes, it's there. Highly recommended: make sure wireless is off! You bridge it so you can use a good wlan&router instead and you don't want this one to create more wireless noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Cool - cheers - yes both 2.5/5GHz are disabled, I thought you will only see 'status, Basic and Systems' tabs without the Wireless.

I haven't tried this, but it seems to take a similar command set to the Unix versions. Could be an easier alternative for Windows bridging.

http://www.snmpsoft.com/freetools/snmpset.html

EDIT: Looks like the syntax is different but it should be:

snmpset -v:2c -c:public -r:192.168.0.1 -o:1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 -tp:int -val:1

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

Guys,

My TC7200 was in a perfect bridge mode connected to my Archer C5 for over a month now (using the HTML switch mode) until yesterday when I started having issues. Needed to keep logging into my Archer and going to release/renew the IP so it would start working.

Tried everything including factory resetting both boxes and setting up again from scratch, no luck.
    The UPC box does not have an IPV6 address.

Anyway to the point

I attempted method 2 on the first page, got it to connect perfectly and saw the list of keys but I have a problem!

This is not there at all.
    There is one there that looks roughly like
    1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.98.1.1.0 or something like that and it has a value of 3.

Any ideas? Totally stumped now.

Have you tried removing the RF cable from the modem and trying again?

Don't use the HTML page, it causes issues like what you noticed with the WAN dropping.

Karsini wrote: »
    Have you tried removing the RF cable from the modem and trying again?

Don't use the HTML page, it causes issues like what you noticed with the WAN dropping.

Yep. I need to leave that cable plugged out to connect to the MiB Browser anyway. It times out if I have it in.

But yeah, I can connect but the string I need isn't there :confused::confused:

Alan3002 wrote: »
    Yep. I need to leave that cable plugged out to connect to the MB Browser anyway. It times out if I have it in.

But yeah, I can connect but the string I need isn't there :confused::confused:

Try using the snmpset application I posted in the post above yours. See if that works. :)

Try using the snmpset application I posted in the post above yours. See if that works. :)

Just tried it there.

"Failed to set value to SNMP variable. Cannot access variable (noAccess(6))"

Hmm, that concerns me a little...

How did you change back to router mode? Did you use the HTML page or did you do a reset? If you used the page, try to reset the modem by holding the reset button for 30 seconds.

Hmm, that concerns me a little...

How did you change back to router mode? Did you use the HTML page or did you do a reset? If you used the page, try to reset the modem by holding the reset button for 30 seconds.

HTML page, tried a factory reset and reset button there though.

Alright so, same thing command wouldn't work but I said I'd give it one more go. Did reset button for 30 seconds but ALSO set the SNMP program to run as administrator.

I think, I think it worked. I've lost features on the UPC box like when it goes into bridge mode, connected my Archer C5 up and I'm connected over WiFi and directly.

Now it's just to see if it will hold.

Mate if this works, you are fantastic!

EDIT: Half hour in and it's still working. Trying not to get too optimistic about it!

• Advertisement

HTML page, tried a factory reset and reset button there though.

Alright so, same thing command wouldn't work but I said I'd give it one more go. Did reset button for 30 seconds but ALSO set the SNMP program to run as administrator.

I think, I think it worked. I've lost features on the UPC box like when it goes into bridge mode, connected my Archer C5 up and I'm connected over WiFi and directly.

Now it's just to see if it will hold.

Mate if this works, you are fantastic!

EDIT: Half hour in and it's still working. Trying not to get too optimistic about it!
    Fingers crossed for you. :) I'm like a dog with a bone when it comes to bridging these, I know that if it's not in DS-Lite mode then there's no reason why it shouldn't work!

Good to hear that the Windows port of snmpset seems to have worked! Also worth noting that you needed to run it as admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I haven't tried this, but it seems to take a similar command set to the Unix versions. Could be an easier alternative for Windows bridging.

http://www.snmpsoft.com/freetools/snmpset.html

EDIT: Looks like the syntax is different but it should be:

snmpset -v:2c -c:public -r:192.168.0.1 -o:1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 -tp:int -val:1

My internet has been acting crazy spazzy over the last week or so with dropouts every now & then but finally bite the bullet and set this into bridge mode, my buddy who is way more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff get it done for me which is a big relief, he was a small bit apprehensive about doing it as he thought the phone might not work after it but everything is all good at the moment, now just waiting for UPC to fix my upload speeds :)

My internet has been acting crazy spazzy over the last week or so with dropouts every now & then but finally bite the bullet and set this into bridge mode, my buddy who is way more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff get it done for me which is a big relief, he was a small bit apprehensive about doing it as he thought the phone might not work after it but everything is all good at the moment, now just waiting for UPC to fix my upload speeds :)
    Cool. :) You don't need to worry about the phone not working, this was only an issue with the old Scientific Atlanta EPC2425 modem/router.

Fingers crossed for you. :) I'm like a dog with a bone when it comes to bridging these, I know that if it's not in DS-Lite mode then there's no reason why it shouldn't work!

Good to hear that the Windows port of snmpset seems to have worked! Also worth noting that you needed to run it as admin.

Thanks mate it's still working away! Can't thank you enough!
    For those who come across this and need a step by step, here's what I did:
    1. Downloaded the SNMP Program from here http://www.snmpsoft.com/freetools/snmpset.html
    2. Placed program on my desktop
    3. Right click on program, click properties, compatibility tab, run as administrator
    4. Pulled out RF cable on TC7200
    5. Held reset button on the TC7200 for 30 seconds using a pin
    6. Logged into the TC7200, turned off firewall (not sure if needed)
    7. Turned off firewall on my windows machine
    8. Connected the Laptop to the TC7200 with a direct connection
    9. Clicked windows button bottom left, typed "cmd" into search bar and hit enter. CMD window appears.
    10. Dragged the SNMP program onto the CMD window. It should create a line with something like "C:/Program File/User/etcetc/SNMP.exe". Don't press enter yet
    11. Copied this line (right click, copy). NOTE: My router address was 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.0.1 so change in the line of code if needed.
      -v:2c -c:public -r:192.168.0.1 -o:1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 -tp:int -val:1
    12. Back on the CMD window, after the SNMP.exe part press spacebar, right click and paste (ctrl + v to paste will not work in CMD window).
    13. This should run the program (if not, hit enter), wait a moment, a security window will pop up, hit yes.
    14. It should work after that! True bridge mode enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Good job. Maybe BK can edit the original post to include these steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

I've just spent the afternoon trying to do this to no avail. Administartor cmd prompt.. the works. I even live-booted ubuntu and all i kept getting was timeouts.
    Thanks mate it's still working away! Can't thank you enough!
    For those who come across this and need a step by step, here's what I did:
    1. Downloaded the SNMP Program from here http://www.snmpsoft.com/freetools/snmpset.html
    2. Placed program on my desktop
    3. Right click on program, click properties, compatibility tab, run as administrator
    4. Pulled out RF cable on TC7200
    5. Held reset button on the TC7200 for 30 seconds using a pin
    6. Logged into the TC7200, turned off firewall (not sure if needed)
    7. Turned off firewall on my windows machine
    8. Connected the Laptop to the TC7200 with a direct connection
    9. Clicked windows button bottom left, typed "cmd" into search bar and hit enter. CMD window appears.
    10. Dragged the SNMP program onto the CMD window. It should create a line with something like "C:/Program File/User/etcetc/SNMP.exe". Don't press enter yet
    11. Copied this line (right click, copy). NOTE: My router address was 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.0.1 so change in the line of code if needed.
      -v:2c -c:public -r:192.168.0.1 -o:1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 -tp:int -val:1
    12. Back on the CMD window, after the SNMP.exe part press spacebar, right click and paste (ctrl + v to paste will not work in CMD window).
    13. This should run the program (if not, hit enter), wait a moment, a security window will pop up, hit yes.
    14. It should work after that! True bridge mode enabled.

Seapoint wrote: »
    I've just spent the afternoon trying to do this to no avail. Administartor cmd prompt.. the works. I even live-booted ubuntu and all i kept getting was timeouts.

Are you leaving the RF cable out? I needed to leave it out through the whole process.

Did you turn both the Home/Public windows Firewall settings to off?

Did you turn the TC7200 firewall to off?

Are you using the right Router IP in the command code?

Yep! Coax out throughout the entire process.
    Windows Firewall disabled
    TC7200 firewall off
    I tried both 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.100.1 IP addresses

I wonder if it's a Windows 10 thing?

Still, when I tried using Linux it timed out also.

I just have it serving my own router on a DMZ IP now. :mad:
    Are you leaving the RF cable out? I needed to leave it out through the whole process.

Did you turn both the Home/Public windows Firewall settings to off?

Did you turn the TC7200 firewall to off?

Are you using the right Router IP in the command code?

Did you reboot the modem after removing the cable? Might be worth doing a full reset of the modem too (hold reset button for 30 seconds).

• Advertisement

Did you reboot the modem after removing the cable? Might be worth doing a full reset of the modem too (hold reset button for 30 seconds).

I rebooted, reset, hard reset, factory defaults reset...

Advertisement