Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Karsini wrote: »
    Did you reboot the modem after removing the cable? Might be worth doing a full reset of the modem too (hold reset button for 30 seconds).

Still no joy on achieving bridge mode. I'm on firmware 6.02.11 by the wsy

Seapoint wrote: »
    Still no joy on achieving bridge mode. I'm on firmware 6.02.11 by the wsy

UPC Ireland? I'm still on 06.01.27. Hoping they didn't block it now. :(

I only knew of Unitymedia in Germany using 06.02.11

Yep, UPC Ireland.
    I have a Cisco EPC3925 which I held onto when I had one of 4 or 5 engineer visits to the house to try to rectify the ongoing problems
    I think I'll try yo get them to re-provision it on my a/c tomorrow.

I think my big concern now is will I lose the bridge if I reboot my modem? I didn't lose it after the update to 06.01.27 - that was the update that prevented you from accessing SNMP with the cable plugged in, but have they blocked it entirely now?

To be honest, with my own router in the DMZ and everything switched off on the TC7200 the difference is outstanding. My UPC was totally unusable since January when I upgraded to 240mb. I only have one android (moto g) in the house now on 2.4ghz , everything is on 5. The new router has made a huge difference even without the TC7200 bridged.
    UPC should give the option of just having a modem.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's not the best way to do it but it's better than nothing. I don't think I'd personally accept it though, because double NAT breaks stuff like dynamic DNS and 6to4.

I know if I ever lost the ability to bridge I'd have to press them on it and I'd even leave if I had to - there's a VDSL cab literally around the corner from me.

My cousin just bridged his TC7200. Worked fine but he's still on 06.01.27 after the reboot too.

Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Voice Gateway EPC3925

Wireless
    Administration
    Status
    Log OFF

Management
    Gateway Setup(WAN)
    Internet Connection Type
    Working Mode: Bridged Only:):):):):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Voice Gateway EPC3925

Wireless
    Administration
    Status
    Log OFF

Management
    Gateway Setup(WAN)
    Internet Connection Type
    Working Mode: Bridged Only:):):):):):):):):):):)

Wrong thread?

degsie wrote: »
    Wrong thread?
    nope, I was trying to bridge the TC7200 with the new firmware but couldn't. UPC re-provisioned a Cisco epc3925 that I had managed to hold on to when they swapped my kit for the fisher price... oh , I mean Technicolor. I can now get the best out of my shiny new Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hi,

I wonder if some one can shed some light for me.

I enabled bridge mode on my TC7200 using MIB Browser and changed the oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 from 2 to 1.

All this worked fine.

There was an issue with UPC last night in my area, but I thought it was my TC7200, so I tried to reset it. i held the reset button at the back fro over 30 seconds, but it doesn't remove bridge mode.

What is even more odd, is when I now access the router through MIB Browser the oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 no longer exists.

Can some one else with the same router check?

Cheers.

techdiver wrote: »
    Hi,

I wonder if some one can shed some light for me.

I enabled bridge mode on my TC7200 using MB Browser and changed the oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 from 2 to 1.

All this worked fine.

There was an issue with UPC last night in my area, but I thought it was my TC7200, so I tried to reset it. i held the reset button at the back fro over 30 seconds, but it doesn't remove bridge mode.

What is even more odd, is when I now access the router through MB Browser the oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 no longer exists.

Can some one else with the same router check?

Cheers.
    I know that the switch mode page doesn't work properly to bridge the modem but I don't know about "unbridging" it. You could try it and see.

It's normal for that OID to disappear after the bridge, but any time I did a full 30 second reset it usually worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Natakranta

nope, I was trying to bridge the TC7200 with the new firmware but couldn't. UPC re-provisioned a Cisco epc3925 that I had managed to hold on to when they swapped my kit for the fisher price... oh , I mean Technicolor. I can now get the best out of my shiny new Netgear Nighthawk AC1900
    Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 - Is it worth the money? Cheapest I found is 125 GBP = 176 EUR.
    I have Technicolor TC7200 and its WiFi range is poor. Bedrooms are suffering from 1 bar to zero signal and general slownes. In living room, where the TC7200 is, signal is fine. Outside Living room signal strength is drastically decreasing.
    Is it worth it? Going through hassle of noob trying to bridge TC7200 and spend 180 EUR for Netgear Nighthawk AC1900?
    Any cheaper solutions for strong, stable WiFi?
    Thanks!

Out of interest, has anyone else been updated to 06.02.11? I'm still on 06.01.27 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Out of interest, has anyone else been updated to 06.02.11? I'm still on 06.01.27 here.

Nope still on 06.01.27 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Same here - still on 6.01.27
    Had local network outages last week so modem was power cycled 2/3 times - no update picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rkiver

I'm on STD6.01.12 and tried the linux command, rebooted fine,

But on 6.01.12 it doesn't appear to enable a bridged mode. The UI is extremely cut down.

Rkiver wrote: »
    I'm on STD6.01.12 and tried the linux command, rebooted fine,

But on 6.01.12 it doesn't appear to enable a bridged mode. The UI is extremely cut down.

Did it reboot and stay in router mode? Are you on an IPv6/DS-Lite line?

Did it reboot and stay in router mode? Are you on an IPv6/DS-Lite line?

Yes and indeed yes I appear to have a public IP only in the ipv6 range. The CM ip address is in the 10.x.x.x range.

Also there is no DMZ setting on this thing....

Rkiver wrote: »
    Yes and indeed yes I appear to have a public IP only in the ipv6 range. The CM ip address is in the 10.x.x.x range.

Also there is no DMZ setting on this thing....
    That's your problem so. Send a PM to the UPC reps on here and they'll change you back to an IPv4 connection. Bridge should work once they do.

• Advertisement

That's your problem so. Send a PM to the UPC reps on here and they'll change you back to an IPv4 connection. Bridge should work once they do.

Ah that'd be rather nice if they can. Thank you very much for that Karsini.

I switched my TC7200 to bridge mode yesterday using Linux and snmpset tutorial. That was very easy if it succeeded? How I can be sure it is in bridge mode? After restart 2.4 GHz WiFi was still active on it. But web admin page address changed to 192.168.100.1 from previous 192.168.0.1
    I turned WiFi off manually on TC7200. I plugged in my new Netgear Nighthawk and it was ready to use within a minute. I didn't have to do any setup on it.
    It was late when I finished, I'll keep on playing with it.
    The firmware version of my TC7200 is STD6.01.27.

Natakranta wrote: »
    I switched my TC7200 to bridge mode yesterday using Linux and snmpset tutorial. That was very easy if it succeeded? How I can be sure it is in bridge mode? After restart 2.4 GHz WiFi was still active on it. But web admin page address changed to 192.168.100.1 from previous 192.168.0.1
    I turned WiFi off manually on TC7200. I plugged in my new Netgear Nighthawk and it was ready to use within a minute. I didn't have to do any setup on it.
    It was late when I finished, I'll keep on playing with it.
    The firmware version of my TC7200 is STD6.01.27.
    Sounds like it's bridged alright. To confirm, check what IP address the Netgear is getting on the internet side.

Sounds like it's bridged alright. To confirm, check what IP address the Netgear is getting on the internet side.

How do I check it? Run cmd: ipconfig on my laptop?
    I'm noobish in this area, only starting to gather knowledge ;)

Natakranta wrote: »
    How do I check it? Run cmd: ipconfig on my laptop?
    I'm noobish in this area, only starting to gather knowledge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 justcoddy

Hi Folks,

The easiest way to change your Technicolor 7200 (TC7200) into the bridge mode is:

login as user:user @ 192.168.1.1

pick the SWITCH MODE on the left hand side menu -> switch mode set to DISABLE MODE to change your device as a bridge -> apply

After that your device will be restarted as bridge @ 192.168.100.1

*bridge mode will disable your wifi radio and during that mode you wouldn't be able to set any wireless connection on it.

To revert back to ROUTER simply follow the same steps setting switch mode as Legacy RG IPv4 Mode and apply.
    After reboot you can access it as a ROUTER.

It works form me within 3 minutes!

Regards!

justcoddy wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

The easiest way to change your Technicolor 7200 (TC7200) into the bridge mode is:

login as user:user @ 192.168.1.1

pick the SWITCH MODE on the left hand side menu -> switch mode set to DISABLE MODE to change your device as a bridge -> apply

After that your device will be restarted as bridge @ 192.168.100.1

*bridge mode will disable your wifi radio and during that mode you wouldn't be able to set any wireless connection on it.

To revert back to ROUTER simply follow the same steps setting switch mode as Legacy RG IPv4 Mode and apply.
    After reboot you can access it as a ROUTER.

It works form me within 3 minutes!

Regards!

Cannot login @192.168.1.1 only 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 and neither will accept user:user

• Registered Users Posts: 1 servenaya

I have a Technicolor TC7110.020 modem/router combo, which im trying to set in bridge mode. Can I achieve this the same way as the TC7200? Any Ideas?

My setup with bridged TC7200 and Netgear Nighthawk lasted 5 days. These were 5 days of strong WiFi signal through apartment and fast (reaching my 120/12Mbs cup) speeds.
    Yesterday evening 11pm i lost connection with internet. Logging to TC7200 with 192.168.100.1 as admin/admin showed there is no IP. Reboots didn't help.
    I called UPC and tech said he sees my TC7200 but it has no connection as it has no IP. He tried reassign new IP to it, but without success. He said he can't do anything more as it is bridged which UPC in not supporting. At the end we came to decision that he restores it to factory settings bringing back internet connection to it. The whole discussion was during lunch time when I was at work.
    I'm back home now. TC7200 is reset to factory settings, its WiFi 2.4 GHz network is working, cable connection is working. Netgear is not.

To bridge it or not to bridge it?

And if not, than what? What might have had been the reason for TC7200 to lose IP and internet connection yesterday night? How to avoid such situation in the future?

All comments appreciated. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

For what it matters, today I had the first problem with UPC in 4 years, nearly 2 since my 870 is bridged.
    A power down, few minutes resting time and power up did restore the service and Thomson is still bridged.

You don't have to tell UPC their box is bridged. As long as you can access it you can put it in router mode and if the service is restored you can bridge it back.
    But if this happens often...that's not good at all.
    Note somewhere the firmware you have when you can bridge it, just to complain if they are pushing an upgrade...you can tell them that before the new firmware it was stable and now is not.
    And never call them while the box is bridged! Turn it back into a router and if the service is not restored open a complain.

I would bridge it one more time and hope for the best. If it isn't stable you can always turn your router into AP mode, turn off wlan on Thomson, don't plug any wire than your AP into Thomson and that's the best you can do while UPC refuses to offer a simple cable modem with no useless features.

Advertisement