Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Natakranta

One for the bridge :)
    I'm booting Linux then. Bridging in Linux with one line command in terminal after I installed smnt is super easy.
    And let's hope for the best. I'll report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Natakranta wrote: »
    One for the bridge :)
    I'm booting Linux then. Bridging in Linux with one line command in terminal after I installed smnt is super easy.
    And let's hope for the best. I'll report back.

Did your firmware change when the router went back to normal mode?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Did your firmware change when the router went back to normal mode?

No, it was firmware STD6.01.27 and still is.

No, it was firmware STD6.01.27 and still is.

And still getting an ipv4 address?

Strange,maybe just a glitch m8,fingers crossed :)

And still getting an ipv4 address?

Strange,maybe just a glitch m8,fingers crossed :)

I don't know how to check it tbh.
    Last week, before bridging I sent message to UPC: reps here on boards to set me ipv4 (just in case I don't have it as I read I must have it to be able to bridge TC7200). They replied:
    Ipv4 is already assigned to your account, are you experiencing issues with your service?
    So I was sure I'm ready to bridge and it went smooth.
    Now my laptop is on cable and logging in to 192.168.0.1 under System/connection/basic I see CM IP Address: 10.66.62.31
    Is it IPv4 address? Or where to check it?
    http://www.ip-adress.eu/ shows me:
    No proxy detected
    Am I good?

Edit
    http://ip-lookup.net/
    says it's IPv4 address, so I'm good :)

• Advertisement

So I went ahead and bridged it.
    And I lost my IP.
    No internet again. The same symptoms like yesterday. Though yesterday it happened on its own after 5 days of working fine in bridge mode.
    Restarted TC7200, no IP
    Done rest factory setting from modern admin menu. Nothing.
    Factory reset with small button at the back. Still no IP.
    Another call to UPC tomorrow.

Called UPC tech today and they did factory reset on my TC7200. IP is back. Internet is back.
    I'll pass bridging for now. I'll try this method.
    I still wander what happened thy my bridged TC7200 was working fine and suddenly lost IP. Did UPC put me an black list, that now, when I bridge it like yesterday I immediately lose IP? I'm signed up for Wi-Free (which is useless BTW, capped to 3 Mbs down and 0,5 Mbs up, losing connection every half minute), can it have something to do? The post I linked mentions that bridging messes up the whole Wi-Free idea for UPC, as customer who bridged his box stops spreading Wi-Free signal around. I'll check out how the configuration from the linked post works for me, and maybe quit Wi-Free and try bridging once more in the future.
    I'll report back. Thanks guys for advises and support. Much appreciated!

It could be wi-free doing it alright, I seem to remember it being mentioned before, apart from the link in your post,

Let's know the outcome m8

It could be wi-free doing it alright, I seem to remember it being mentioned before, apart from the link in your post,

Let's know the outcome m8
    I tried to follow instructions in that post but came across few obstacles.
    TC7200:
    Disabled WiFi 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz was off
    Firewall off
    Disabled DHCP
    DMZ was displayed as 192.168.0.0 with the last 0 editable, sorry of. I couldn't change it. I got message: can't set this device as DMZ, or something like this. So I left DMZ 192.168.0.0, whatever that is.
    I then plugged Netgear. Now instructions were not clear for me, I'm a noob in this matter.
    I tried changing IP in Netgear but faild at the end to establish connection with internet.
    I was tired and wanted to leave it for tomorrow but I had to restore internet for tomorrow for family. I plugged back TC7200 with Ethernet cable but I couldn't connect with 192.168.0.1
    I unplugged the box. Nothing, still no connection. I did factory reset with small button at the back. I can access it now with 192.168.0.1 but guess what, I lost IP. Third time! There something wrong here. After every factory reset I lost IP. Calling UPC tomorrow again. I'm really tired with it and disgusted. I just want to plug in nice fast router and apparently it's beyond me.

I tried to follow instructions in that post but came across few obstacles.
    TC7200:
    Disabled WiFi 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz was off
    Firewall off
    Disabled DHCP
    DMZ was displayed as 192.168.0.0 with the last 0 editable, sorry of. I couldn't change it. I got message: can't set this device as DMZ, or something like this. So I left DMZ 192.168.0.0, whatever that is.
    I then plugged Netgear. Now instructions were not clear for me, I'm a noob in this matter.
    I tried changing IP in Netgear but faild at the end to establish connection with internet.
    I was tired and wanted to leave it for tomorrow but I had to restore internet for tomorrow for family. I plugged back TC7200 with Ethernet cable but I couldn't connect with 192.168.0.1
    I unplugged the box. Nothing, still no connection. I did factory reset with small button at the back. I can access it now with 192.168.0.1 but guess what, I lost IP. Third time! There something wrong here. After every factory reset I lost IP. Calling UPC tomorrow again. I'm really tired with it and disgusted. I just want to plug in nice fast router and apparently it's beyond me.

Sounds like a dodgy router TBH, ask them to send you another one m8

• Advertisement

Sounds like a dodgy router TBH, ask them to send you another one m8

Should I ask for another TC7200 or something different?
    Do they still have it on stock? I'm afraid they will send different make.

Should I ask for another TC7200 or something different?
    Do they still have it on stock? I'm afraid they will send different make.

Get another tc7200 as their newer routers are even worse according to reports on their "Talk to" section

Get another tc7200 as their newer routers are even worse according to reports on their "Talk to" section

Tech lady I've been talking to today did a factory reset again but refused to replace my TC7200 claiming she doesn't see anything wrong with it. Apparently 3 calls day by day is not enough to assume there may be something wrong with the box.
    Honestly, I don't know what to do next. Netgear is starting collecting dust.
    Maybe disable Wi-Free today and try bridging again on Saturday when I'm at home and upc customer service is available.

Tech lady I've been talking to today did a factory reset again but refused to replace my TC7200 claiming she doesn't see anything wrong with it. Apparently 3 calls day by day is not enough to assume there may be something wrong with the box.
    Honestly, I don't know what to do next. Netgear is starting collecting dust.
    Maybe disable Wi-Free today and try bridging again on Saturday when I'm at home and upc customer service is available.

Bear in mind Wi-Free takes a few days to disable

Bear in mind Wi-Free takes a few days to disable
    Logged in to My UPC but there was no option to opt-out from Wi-Free, so I called techs in the evening. It took them half an hour to realize i have Wi-free already disabled! But she couldnt find out when, why and who did it. Certainly not me as I wanted to do it today but there was no option to opt-out as described in FAQ. I'm sure I could access Wi-Free on Monday night after I lost my own Wi-Fi.
    I'll try to connect Netgear router with the non-invasive way, If I fail, I'll try bridging one more time on Saturday when I'm home and can reach techs to restart me if I lose IP again.
    I made a backup now of TC720 settings with http://192.168.0.1/system/backup.asp but not sure if it will help if I lose IP again. Probably only UPC techs can push it. Anyway it's always good to have backup (says android ROM flashing addict). If only I'll be able to connect to http://192.168.0.1/ and not like last night.

Thanks for your advises. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

Thanks for this guide! I was able to put my UPC Technicolor modem-router to bridge/modem-only mode using these instructions. I just have some observations and feedback to add.

I followed all of the instructions but at first I was not able to connect to the modem using the Linux method or the Windows No. 2 method. I just got timeout messages. I did all this using an ethernet cable and had the firewall in the technicolor turned off, of course. But then I stumbled upon this post which is buried in page 8 in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88747987&postcount=111
    which basically states to switch off the technicolor modem, unplug the COAXIAL cable from the modem, turn on the technicolor and then run the commands to set the modem in bridge mode.

This worked for my technicolor using the Linux method. (did not try the windows methods as the linux method worked the first time). So, perhaps this info should be added to the guide on post 1?

The other piece of feedback I have is that the link for the CM Watch client for Windows guide 1 is broken (looks like the company that makes the software went bust and is now selling their domain name). So maybe providing a link that works or recommend another tool (or just leave Windows guide 2) would be advisable.

I gave it another shot today and succeeded.
    I used Linux method. TC7200 rebooted on it's own afterwards. I still could log into it. I powered it off, attached back antena cable, powered it back on, and after a minute I had internet connection on lan cable.
    Strange thing is UPC default WiFi 2.4 Ghz was still on and working. I thought it should be off after bridging. Anyway I turned it off on TC7200 WiFi settings after Netgear Nighthawk router got fully operational.
    Let's see how long my setup lasts this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

Hey guys. Having an issue.
    So my mate ordered in UPC, bought a very very expensive ASUS Router and asked me to give him a hand hooking them up together.

I followed my instructions below that worked for my own one and initially it worked until I discovered that http pages would not load. Upon logging back into the UPC router, I discovered it had reverted back out of bridge mode (more options available in the GUI).

I tried 3 times and each time his UPC router would revert after only a few minutes.

His router is a TC7200 and his firmware is STD6.01.27.

Any ideas? Is it his firmware version?
    Alan3002 wrote: »
    Thanks mate it's still working away! Can't thank you enough!
    For those who come across this and need a step by step, here's what I did:
    1. Downloaded the SNMP Program from here http://www.snmpsoft.com/freetools/snmpset.html
    2. Placed program on my desktop
    3. Right click on program, click properties, compatibility tab, run as administrator
    4. Pulled out RF cable on TC7200
    5. Held reset button on the TC7200 for 30 seconds using a pin
    6. Logged into the TC7200, turned off firewall (not sure if needed)
    7. Turned off firewall on my windows machine
    8. Connected the Laptop to the TC7200 with a direct connection
    9. Clicked windows button bottom left, typed "cmd" into search bar and hit enter. CMD window appears.
    10. Dragged the SNMP program onto the CMD window. It should create a line with something like "C:/Program File/User/etcetc/SNMP.exe". Don't press enter yet
    11. Copied this line (right click, copy). NOTE: My router address was 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.0.1 so change in the line of code if needed.
      -v:2c -c:public -r:192.168.0.1 -o:1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 -tp:int -val:1
    12. Back on the CMD window, after the SNMP.exe part press spacebar, right click and paste (ctrl + v to paste will not work in CMD window).
    13. This should run the program (if not, hit enter), wait a moment, a security window will pop up, hit yes.
    14. It should work after that! True bridge mode enabled.

So my mate ordered in UPC, bought a very very expensive ASUS Router and asked me to give him a hand hooking them up together.

I followed my instructions below that worked for my own one and initially it worked until I discovered that http pages would not load. Upon logging back into the UPC router, I discovered it had reverted back out of bridge mode (more options available in the GUI).

I tried 3 times and each time his UPC router would revert after only a few minutes.

Check of your friend opted out of Wi-Free, it may take few days for it to be effective.
    Try with Linux method, way less hassle than Windows one you described.
    You can burn Linux Mint 17.2 image to USB stick, 4GB is enough, and boot it from stick, use it to bridge TC7200 and not even install it on PC. If Linux command does not work saying you are missing SNMP, type in:
    sudo apt-get install SNMP
    And try bridging again.
    It worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Alan

Issue could be to do with IP6 - assuming this is a new connection, then UPC are giving out IP6 addresses only and hence using DS-Lite.
    As far as I know, you cannot bridge the TC7200 if it's using DS-Lite - you need to get switched back to an IP4 address.
    Plenty of posts around here about it. You can request an IP4 address switch through the UPC:Reps here on boards - a number of posters have been sorted out this way.

WW

• Advertisement

Alan

Issue could be to do with IP6 - assuming this is a new connection, then UPC are giving out IP6 addresses only and hence using DS-Lite.
    As far as I know, you cannot bridge the TC7200 if it's using DS-Lite - you need to get switched back to an IP4 address.
    Plenty of posts around here about it. You can request an IP4 address switch through the UPC:Reps here on boards - a number of posters have been sorted out this way.

WW

True!
    Alan,
    Before bridging attempt I confirmed here on Boards with UPC: reps that I have IPv4.
    And log in to myupc and check if Wi-Free is disabled.

Check of your friend opted out of Wi-Free, it may take few days for it to be effective.
    You can burn Linux Mint 17.2 image to USB stick, 4GB is enough, and boot it from stick, use it to bridge TC7200 and not even install it on PC. If Linux command does not work saying you are missing SNMP, type in:
    And try bridging again.
    It worked for me.

Thanks, an excellent suggestion that I haven't thought of. I'll try those and see how it goes.
    Alan

WW

Cheers for the suggestion but I made sure to try that last night. There was a few links hovering around boards where it brings you to a webpage and tells you if your on ipv4 or ipv6. It reported that he was using ipv4

And try bridging again.
    It worked for me.

Ok. Well it turns out he does indeed have Wi-Free. Does he need to opt out of this for bridge mode to work?

Ok. Well it turns out he does indeed have Wi-Free. Does he need to opt out of this for bridge mode to work?
    Yes, log in to myupc acct and kpt out.
    At first i manager to bridge TC7200 when i still had Wi-Free activated. I forgot about it.
    My setup was working fine for 5 days and suddenly I lost IP and connection to internet.
    UPC was resetting my modem, I was trying to bridge it and losing IP. UPC resetting it again (user hard reset was not helping) and so on. Until finally I asked them to opt out from We-Free. Then it appeared I was already opted out but they didn't know why and on whose request. I knew I was in few days before as I had to use it when I lost my internet.
    Anyway, knowing I have IPv4 and Wi-Free confirmed as disabled, I have it another try and managed to bridge it. Is been few weeks and it's still working.

At first i manager to bridge TC7200 when i still had Wi-Free activated. I forgot about it.
    My setup was working fine for 5 days and suddenly I lost IP and connection to internet.
    UPC was resetting my modem, I was trying to bridge it and losing IP. UPC resetting it again (user hard reset was not helping) and so on. Until finally I asked them to opt out from We-Free. Then it appeared I was already opted out but they didn't know why and on whose request. I knew I was in few days before as I had to use it when I lost my internet.
    Anyway, knowing I have IPv4 and Wi-Free confirmed as disabled, I have it another try and managed to bridge it. Is been few weeks and it's still working.

Awesome. He just opted out now and it said it would take 72 hours to take effect. So we will give it a shot after that again and report back. Hopefully it will be fixed then.

I just want to report back that the bridge mode is now successfully working after disabling Wi-Free. No issues!

I followed my instructions that I wrote previously and his connection has been completely solid both wired/wireless for over a day now. Let's hope it stays that way!

Thanks guys!

Updated instructions:

Pre-instructions:
    1. Make sure Wi-Free is disabled in your UPC account! This can take up to 72 hours to take effect once disabled.
    2. Make sure you are on an IPV4 address and not an IPV6 address. You will need to directly contact UPC to change this.

Instructions:
    1.Downloaded the SNMP Program from here http://www.snmpsoft.com/freetools/snmpset.html
    2.Placed program on my desktop
    3.Right click on program, click properties, compatibility tab, run as administrator
    4.Pulled out RF cable on TC7200
    5.Held reset button on the TC7200 for 30 seconds using a pin
    6.Logged into the TC7200, turned off firewall (not sure if needed)
    7.Turned off firewall on my windows machine
    8.Connected the Laptop to the TC7200 with a direct connection
    9.Clicked windows button bottom left, typed "cmd" into search bar and hit enter. CMD window appears.
    10.Dragged the SNMP program onto the CMD window. It should create a line with something like "C:/Program File/User/etcetc/SNMP.exe". Don't press enter yet
    11.Copied this line (right click, copy). NOTE: My router address was 192.168.100.1 and not 192.168.0.1 so change in the line of code if needed.
    -v:2c -c:public -r:192.168.0.1 -o:1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 -tp:int -val:1
    12.Back on the CMD window, after the SNMP.exe part press spacebar, right click and paste (ctrl + v to paste will not work in CMD window).
    13.This should run the program (if not, hit enter), wait a moment, a security window will pop up, hit yes.
    14. Plug the RF cable back into the UPC router.
    15. Double check that the UPC router IP has changed (ipconfig /all). There may be a delay in this. Once it has changed, log into the router and check to make sure there is fewer options available than before.
    16. Unplug your laptop/desktop from your UPC router and directly plug it into your new router.
    17. Plug the UPC router into your new router.
    18.It should work after that! True bridge mode enabled.

Ok. So I have run into another issue. My friends bridge mode was working perfectly for a solid week. It randomly cut out yesterday for him and he lost complete internet connection. Upon inspection his UPC router was back out of bridge mode.

So, he rang them to make sure Wi-Free wasn't enabled. They said it wasn't (it always showed as enabled on UPC router status strangely enough).
    He was still on IPV4 address after a web page check.

One thing that seems new but I can't remember if it was there before. At the bottom of UPC router status screen, there is information about DS-Lite. I don't remember if this was always there. Any ideas?

Sorry about blacking out some stuff, not sure what I can show.

TD4xnOy.jpg

Looks like he has been put onto IPv6/DS-Lite

Has the firmware upgraded?

Looks like he has been put onto IPv6/DS-Lite

Has the firmware upgraded?

Nope! Firmware is the exact same version.

I did run one of those "Am I on IPv4 or IPv6" pages though and it returned that he was on IPv4. But I'm not sure how accurate those are?

• Advertisement

Nope! Firmware is the exact same version.

I did run one of those "Am I on IPv4 or IPv6" pages though and it returned that he was on IPv4. But I'm not sure how accurate those are?

Hmm
    Try this one

http://test-ipv6.com/

Advertisement