Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

wiz569 wrote: »
    Hmm
    Try this one

http://test-ipv6.com/

Yeah thanks I'll get him to try that.

He did say he rang the UPC call center and they confirmed that he wasn't on IPv6. Can he still be on DS-Lite and not IPv6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Alan3002 wrote: »
    Yeah thanks I'll get him to try that.

He did say he rang the UPC call center and they confirmed that he wasn't on IPv6. Can he still be on DS-Lite and not IPv6?

DS-Lite is as near we will get to IPv6 for a long time,I'm not up on such things but its basically an IPv4 address wrapped up in an IPv6 address,it gets unwrapped by UPC (I think) and then forwarded on to your IPv4 destination,

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andrewgdotcom

Under windows, I have found it to be more or less random whether it decides to use ipv6 or ipv4 (if you have both configured) so I wouldn't read too much into that. Unixlike operating systems should consistently prefer ipv6.

DSlite uses a public, routable ipv6 address - so if you have it you have proper ipv6, no "next best thing" about it. The 'lite' bit of DSlite is the use of an ipv4 NAT-ed private network on top of the native ipv6 transport - kind of a poor man's vpn. Both ipv4 and ipv6 should work transparently to the end user, but you won't be able to run an ipv4 DMZ as you have no public ipv4 address.

I can see from the screenshot that the router has been assigned a public ipv6, which is expected. You can test if ipv6 works by going to a site that has no ipv4 service, such as ipv6.whatismyv6.com

BTW, I tried the snmp trick as described above and it is working great so far. I didn't need to do a factory reset on the router, but I did disable the wireless beforehand just in case. Under linux/osx the incantation is slightly different from windows:

snmpset -v 2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hey guys,
    If anyone can help here.
    I just cant seem to get a copy of CM Watch 3. Any of the links I follow are bringing up other non related spam stuffs.

EDIT: Actually got a copy of iReasoning, which was the one I had working previously. However I cant seem to SNMP walk the device.
    Can ping and log into the device, hmmmm any ideas appreciated. laptop and TC7200 firewall deactivated
    If its any help:
    Software Version STD6.02.11
    Hardware Version 2.0.
    Ive tried iReasoning on another SNMP enabled device and got a response so I know its not iReasoning or my laptop?! Have they disabled the abilty to SNMP poll the device now or even the Mib changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gsustek

hi guys,
    is it possible to get better internet speed with tweeking some parameters?
    how to do that?
    can i restart modem from telnet? can i change values from telnet and how?
    regards
    thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

gsustek wrote: »
    hi guys,
    is it possible to get better internet speed with tweeking some parameters?
    how to do that?
    can i restart modem from telnet? can i change values from telnet and how?
    regards
    thanks..

Depends, are you connected wired or wireless. Wireless, you may be able to get a cleaner channel and change from 20 to 40MHz spacing, but other that that there isnt much more.
    You can't telnet the modem from what Ive seen recently and I have tried changing the values as my previous post, but no success, No ability to SNMPWalk it.
    Hopefully someone can reply shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gsustek

Hi, what i ment is change the max. speed on cable side! If i have telnet access.
    Can i somehow download sconfiguration file?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Just done this and noticed that Thomson defaults to 192.168.100.1 and there is no way to change this when bridged.
    Can my home network still have the IP address scheme as in 192.168.0.x or does home network now have to change to the 100.x subnet? I'd prefer just to add my new router into current addressing scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

zefer wrote: »
    Just done this and noticed that Thomson defaults to 192.168.100.1 and there is no way to change this when bridged.
    Can my home network still have the IP address scheme as in 192.168.0.x or does home network now have to change to the 100.x subnet? I'd prefer just to add my new router into current addressing scheme

My Thompson is 192.168.100.1 and my router is 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask of 255.255.254.0. All my devices get 192.168.0.X ip addresses

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

@zefer
    It's absolutely ok to have any other subnet in your home LAN as long as it's not 192.168.100.x. Even that will work, but it will be complicated to access your newly bridged Thomson.
    So yes, it's safe to have in your LAN 192.168.0.x!

• Advertisement

Had this working perfectly yesterday, came home today and can't get out to the Internet.
    Getting ip4 wan IP address on dd wrt router but can't get out on Internet.
    Anyone else have this issue ever?

Had this working perfectly yesterday, came home today and can't get out to the Internet.

How did you do the bridge? Did you use SNMP or the hidden web page?

Karsini wrote: »
    How did you do the bridge? Did you use SNMP or the hidden web page?

Used method 2 in original post changing mib table

How are you specifing your DNS? Can you do a trace route?

stimpson wrote: »
    How are you specifing your DNS? Can you do a trace route?

I actually changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 to test if it made any difference but no joy.
    Left my bloody laptop in work so can't do much in terms of troubleshooting tonight unfortunately!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

This has happened to me too. I've just switched on and the Thomson has reset it's config back to non-bridged mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I tried to re-apply the change and it didn't stick after the modem rebooted. Anyone any other suggestions?

Skittle wrote: »
    This has happened to me too. I've just switched on and the Thomson has reset it's config back to non-bridged mode.

Hmmm, Coincidence?!?!
    I won't be able to try reset the Thomson till tomorrow. Did actually get sent a TC7200 replacement today as power supply went in Thomson other day. Will try bridge both

Same with me. Looks like they've disabled it! :mad:

I'll try again but if it switches back I'm straight on to them in the morning. If they don't give me a Cisco I'm gone.

Edit: Confirmed. Removed the RF cable and ran snmpset. PC got an IP of 192.168.100.10. Reconnected the RF cable, modem rebooted and I'm back on 192.168.0.11. Really, really annoyed right now.

Edit 2: Not working on Cisco either. Looks like it's disabled completely. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97534363&postcount=1025

Same with me. Looks like they've disabled it! :mad:

I'll try again but if it switches back I'm straight on to them in the morning. If they don't give me a Cisco I'm gone.

Edit: Confirmed. Removed the RF cable and ran snmpset. PC got an IP of 192.168.100.10. Reconnected the RF cable, modem rebooted and I'm back on 192.168.0.11. Really, really annoyed right now.

Edit 2: Not working on Cisco either. Looks like it's disabled completely. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97534363&postcount=1025

What do they get out of disabling it? Bar pissing off a lot of customers...

• Advertisement

What do they get out of disabling it? Bar pissing off a lot of customers...

I really don't know.

I might be able to pull some strings in work, being a network admin for an IT company and having contacts in UPC Business, but otherwise I guess it's Vodafone VDSL for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Karsini

Posted this in other thread (missed this thread...)
    Just checked - mine still in bridge mode (TC7200).
    Does it only happen if you do a full reset, or are they forcing a full reset remotely?

Worried now....

Firmware version hasn't changed for me, still on 6.01.27. So I'd say they've hard-coded the router mode in the DOCSIS configuration file. I had to reboot mine because the upstream wasn't syncing properly. Wish I didn't now. :(

Firmware version hasn't changed for me, still on 6.01.27. So I'd say they've hard-coded the router mode in the DOCSIS configuration file. I had to reboot mine because the upstream wasn't syncing properly. Wish I didn't now. :(

Took them 19months to lock things down - as you predited back in Mar2014
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89321072&postcount=166

Or maybe they got some new tech savy guys from VM:confused:

And as feared, the dynamic DNS client on my router is issuing 192.168.0.2 as the WAN IP.

And as feared, the dynamic DNS client on my router is issuing 192.168.0.2 as the WAN IP.

What do we lose by being forced to go back to router mode?

ddns
    dnsmasq
    local vpn server
    external access to local network

as well as 'stability of vm router' now that it has to do some actual work rather than just be a simple modem.

Sorry I didn't put mine on the UPS now.

Should we start a thread on Ask VM asking for them to enable bridge mode then?

stimpson wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't put mine on the UPS now.

Should we start a thread on Ask VM asking for them to enable bridge mode then?
    I'd say go for it. The thing is, with a TC7200 we probably shouldn't have been doing it anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057514734

Knock yourselves out, but please be polite - you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

• Advertisement

Still bridged this morning.....
    There are some customers here trialing out the new VM modem/router - don't see much open talk about it, so was wondering would they have to agree to some form of NDA?
    If anyone reading here happens to be one, maybe they could confirm if the device has bridge mode as an option!

WW

Advertisement