Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NamelessVoice

I was using my TC7200 in bridge mode in combination with an Asus RT-N16 running Shibby Tomato for a long time without issues.

Recently, however, I was foolish enough to reset my TC7200 while testing something, only to find afterwards that I can't use SNMP on it any more (the requests just time out now, presumably because the port is closed.)

Trying to activate bridge mode from the hidden "switch-mode" page works only for almost exactly five minutes, before the Internet breaks and I'm forced to reconnect.

That leaves me stuck in double-NAT mode, which causes the TC7200 to kick my Asus router off the network every half an hour - something to do with the routers arguing over the assignment of addresses, I think (the Asus becomes unroutable for a few seconds whenever it happens) - extremely infuriating, but I can't work out how to resolve it with the TC7200's limited options.

I can't help but think that there should be some way to activate bridging mode via telnet, but I haven't been able to find the option in there yet.
    Logging into the TC7200 via telnet (192.168.100.1, login webstar/webstar) does let you see some log messages related to various issues, though, which is of some use.

A few others in this thread have suggested opting out of Wi-Free, so I'll try that (unticked the option on my account on Sunday, but no change on the TC7200 yet), though I don't see why that should be necessary since I never had to do it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

I was using my TC7200 in bridge mode in combination with an Asus RT-N16 running Shibby Tomato for a long time without issues.

Recently, however, I was foolish enough to reset my TC7200 while testing something, only to find afterwards that I can't use SNMP on it any more (the requests just time out now, presumably because the port is closed.)

Trying to activate bridge mode from the hidden "switch-mode" page works only for almost exactly five minutes, before the Internet breaks and I'm forced to reconnect.

That leaves me stuck in double-NAT mode, which causes the TC7200 to kick my Asus router off the network every half an hour - something to do with the routers arguing over the assignment of addresses, I think (the Asus becomes unroutable for a few seconds whenever it happens) - extremely infuriating, but I can't work out how to resolve it with the TC7200's limited options.

I can't help but think that there should be some way to activate bridging mode via telnet, but I haven't been able to find the option in there yet.
    Logging into the TC7200 via telnet (192.168.100.1, login webstar/webstar) does let you see some log messages related to various issues, though, which is of some use.

A few others in this thread have suggested opting out of Wi-Free, so I'll try that (unticked the option on my account on Sunday, but no change on the TC7200 yet), though I don't see why that should be necessary since I never had to do it before.

Exact same issue happened with my friend when I was bridging his TC7200 and I had no explanation for it. I told him to try disable Wi-Free (takes a few days as far as I know) and I return a week later and everything worked perfectly when I bridged it.

I've read countless times that people recommend disabling it for bridging so it's worth a shot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I didn't know the 7200 had a bridge mode. How do I access it? I've been using DMZ all this time to get around NAT issues.

Anyway I had similar problems recently (as per my post above). It seems Virgin Media is switching everyone to IPv6. This puts the modem in DSLite mode, disabling DMZ, port forwarding, you name it. You'll have to contact them and ask to be switched back to IPv4. They can do it for you via PM over in the Talk to forum.

I'd say I'll be looking for a new ISP soon. Between this and throttling Netflix, the company has gone to the dogs.

The way to access bridging mode used to be to via SMMP commands, but those sadly appear to have been blocked. Basically, something like this:
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.100.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

There's more information in this thread.

The other way is to access the /system/switch-mode.asp page on the web interface. You'll need to input the URL manually, because there's no link it on the main UI.
    That gives you a hidden page with the option to pick between router and bridge modes.
    Edit: Enabling Bridge Mode from this hidden page doesn't seem to work correctly, you should probably avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you remove the Co-Ax when attempting the SNMP commands? IIRC that was a requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

Okay, following the above instructions worked for me now.

I don't recall having to do it this way the last time.
    I guess they changed the security policy on the TC7200, and pulling out the coax line then doing a factory reset defaults the SNMP ports to being open. Without a connection the exchange it won't get told to block them again, allowing access until the coax gets plugged back in. That makes sense.

Before trying this, I got Horizon Wi-Free disabled on my account, and tried setting it to bridge mode using the "hidden page" on the web UI.
    That did not work, and exhibited the same "works for exactly five minutes, then breaks permanently" issue as I saw before.
    So - that hidden page is useless. Don't even bother with it. Only the SNMP method works.

Of course, now I don't know if I actually needed to get Wi-Free disabled or not, but don't feel like turning it back on just for the sake of science.

Okay, following the above instructions worked for me now.

I don't recall having to do it this way the last time.
    I guess they changed the security policy on the TC7200, and pulling out the coax line then doing a factory reset defaults the SNMP ports to being open. Without a connection the exchange it won't get told to block them again, allowing access until the coax gets plugged back in. That makes sense.

Before trying this, I got Horizon Wi-Free disabled on my account, and tried setting it to bridge mode using the "hidden page" on the web UI.
    That did not work, and exhibited the same "works for exactly five minutes, then breaks permanently" issue as I saw before.
    So - that hidden page is useless. Don't even bother with it. Only the SNMP method works.

Of course, now I don't know if I actually needed to get Wi-Free disabled or not, but don't feel like turning it back on just for the sake of science.
    When Wi-Free is enabled, the config file your modem receives contains a command to force router mode. So that's why you can't bridge with Wi-Free enabled.

With the 06.01.08 firmware you could use the SNMP commands even after the modem came online but this was changed in 06.01.27. With the latter you have to remove the coax.

The hidden page never works properly. Here's the results of my testing of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I didn't know the 7200 had a bridge mode. How do I access it? I've been using DMZ all this time to get around NAT issues.

Anyway I had similar problems recently (as per my post above). It seems Virgin Media is switching everyone to IPv6. This puts the modem in DSLite mode, disabling DMZ, port forwarding, you name it. You'll have to contact them and ask to be switched back to IPv4. They can do it for you via PM over in the Talk to forum.

I'd say I'll be looking for a new ISP soon. Between this and throttling Netflix, the company has gone to the dogs.

I agree, waiting on a fiber cabinet to finally go live and, depending on speed will likely move too, frankly sick of their increasingly our way or go fcuk yourself attitude of late, in the meantime I sent an official complaint requesting to opt out of any DS Lite roll out. When they say no ill kick it to COMREG who likely will have no idea what I'm on about and probably won't do much anyway but nothing to lose anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 diesello

I lost the bridge mode that was set using smpset command, the port seems to be block so cannot enable it now, but somehow I was able to set bridge mode using related URL. It's a bit strange because my personal AP is getting external IP address but when I run MTR command I see 192.168.0.1 as a second hop (first hop is192.168.1.1 - my AP) .. not sure hot to understand this?

and definitely connection stability is much better than in the router mode on TC7200, but it is not good as in the bridge mode set by smpset command.

• Advertisement

diesello wrote: »
    I lost the bridge mode that was set using smpset command, the port seems to be block so cannot enable it now, but somehow I was able to set bridge mode using related URL. It's a bit strange because my personal AP is getting external IP address but when I run MTR command I see 192.168.0.1 as a second hop (first hop is192.168.1.1 - my AP) .. not sure hot to understand this?

and definitely connection stability is much better than in the router mode on TC7200, but it is not good as in the bridge mode set by smpset command.
    You'll probably find that the WAN connection will intermittently drop in this mode. It's really not stable. Have you tried snmpset with the RF cable removed?

Karsini wrote: »
    You'll probably find that the WAN connection will intermittently drop in this mode. It's really not stable. Have you tried snmpset with the RF cable removed?

Yes, I tried a few times and always RF cable was removed... sometimes I got message that port is blocked, sometimes device was rebooting but whenever I put RF cable back always got the router mode... maybe will try again...

diesello wrote: »
    Yes, I tried a few times and always RF cable was removed... sometimes I got message that port is blocked, sometimes device was rebooting but whenever I put RF cable back always got the router mode... maybe will try again...
    What firmware version are you on? Also, do you have an IPv6 address now?

Karsini wrote: »
    What firmware version are you on? Also, do you have an IPv6 address now?

As I remember it's STD6.0.1.27 (cannot confirm at the moment). I was on IPv6 and I realized that when I lost the original bridge mode, but now we are back on IPv4 (DS lite has been disabled for us).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

I've been using the TC7200 router as a modem, connected to a TP-Link Archer C9 and DMZ configured to pass everything to the Archer.
    I went in to check something today on the router, and it seems that DMZ option has disappeared.
    UPC/Virgin keeps stripping away options from this router:(

You've probably been moved to DS-Lite (IPv6). You'll have to contact them, sending a PM to the reps on here seems to be the best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Hi folks. Successfully activated bridge mode on my Thomson TWG870u using method 2 in the OP,connected my new router to it and all was well for about 5 minutes before the internet connectivity disappeared. Switched it off and on again and back working now however the event log shows loads of critical errors. Anything here I need to concern myself with?

Oh and for some reason, I can't factory reset the thomson back to router mode. Hold the button for 30 seconds with the router on and it just reboots but stays in modem mode. Is there some other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

Hi, why does this need to be done? Im running a 3rd party router in bridge mode to the virgin router, what am i missing out on?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Is there any alternative to the tc7200 we can use with virginmedia or do we have to change ISP to get something that we can bridge with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Is there any alternative to the tc7200 we can use with virginmedia or do we have to change ISP to get something that we can bridge with ?

The new Virgin Media Hub will bridge fine. You may need to move to one of the new packages to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

I have the new Virgin Media Hub and it works in Bridged Mode perfectly! You may need to upgrade to a new service/speed in order to get one tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Thanks - ordered this and all setup - bridging happily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

I have the new Virgin Media Hub and it works in Bridged Mode perfectly! You may need to upgrade to a new service/speed in order to get one tho!

Is the Virgin Media Hub only available to customers with TV or is strictly a router/modem? Have Sky TV, VM Phone/Broadband. :(

Is the Virgin Media Hub only available to customers with TV or is strictly a router/modem? Have Sky TV, VM Phone/Broadband. :(

It's just for broadband. Ring them on Monday

stimpson wrote: »
    It's just for broadband. Ring them on Monday

Definitely plan to. Are they hesitant to give them out or will they give one to me if I ask as I'm having issues with the TC7200? I only just went into another 12 month contract with them in Feb, as I was getting 120mbps despite 240mbps being their new lowest (they happily upgraded me as long as I went into a new contract).

Definitely plan to. Are they hesitant to give them out or will they give one to me if I ask as I'm having issues with the TC7200? I only just went into another 12 month contract with them in Feb, as I was getting 120mbps despite 240mbps being their new lowest (they happily upgraded me as long as I went into a new contract).

You should have gotten one for the 240 mbit. Are you getting your full speed with your current modem?

stimpson wrote: »
    You should have gotten one for the 240 mbit. Are you getting your full speed with your current modem?

Fluctuates between 140-180mbps (240 package) on wifi on my Archer C5 connected to the TC7200, get the full 24mbps upload.

Basically just want the VMHub to get true bridging.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This "offer" was in the last price increase notification remind them of if.
    ''We've got a new Virgin Media Hub waiting for you…
    We are migrating our 240Mb Broadband and Home Phone customers to the new Virgin Media Hub. The Hub offers the best in-home WiFi experience in the market – ensuring you get the best WiFi speeds and range throughout the home.

You can exchange your existing modem for the new Virgin Media Hub at no extra cost and without extending your contract. We’re currently communicating with customers to roll out the new hub and you can request yours now at www.virginmedia.ie/besthub
    "

And remember you will need an ipv4 address to get the bridging mode on the new hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

dub45 wrote: »

This "offer" was in the last price increase notification remind them of if.
    ''We've got a new Virgin Media Hub waiting for you…
    We are migrating our 240Mb Broadband and Home Phone customers to the new Virgin Media Hub. The Hub offers the best in-home WiFi experience in the market – ensuring you get the best WiFi speeds and range throughout the home.

You can exchange your existing modem for the new Virgin Media Hub at no extra cost and without extending your contract. We’re currently communicating with customers to roll out the new hub and you can request yours now at www.virginmedia.ie/besthub
    "

And remember you will need an ipv4 address to get the bridging mode on the new hub.
    Can you get the Virgin Media Hub - and the upgrade to 240Mb - without signing a new contract; or do you have to put pen to paper do you know? 

I'm currently stuck with the dog with fleas that is the TC7200 and am only getting 120mbps, if and when I actually get that; despite 240mbps supposedly being their new lowest speed.
    Or, if I'd rather not sign another contract; is it possible to get the new hub without increasing to the 240Mb Broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Can you get the Virgin Media Hub - and the upgrade to 240Mb - without signing a new contract; or do you have to put pen to paper do you know? 

I'm currently stuck with the dog with fleas that is the TC7200 and am only getting 120mbps, if and when I actually get that; despite 240mbps supposedly being their new lowest speed.
    Or, if I'd rather not sign another contract; is it possible to get the new hub without increasing to the 240Mb Broadband?

Are you sure your TC7200 isn't broken?

Advertisement