Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

grogi wrote: »
    Can you get the Virgin Media Hub - and the upgrade to 240Mb - without signing a new contract; or do you have to put pen to paper do you know? 

I'm currently stuck with the dog with fleas that is the TC7200 and am only getting 120mbps, if and when I actually get that; despite 240mbps supposedly being their new lowest speed.
    Or, if I'd rather not sign another contract; is it possible to get the new hub without increasing to the 240Mb Broadband?

Are you sure your TC7200 isn't broken?

Yes, I'm sure. It works indeed, just not very well. 
    Why do you ask me that?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

dub45 wrote: »
    Definitely plan to. Are they hesitant to give them out or will they give one to me if I ask as I'm having issues with the TC7200? I only just went into another 12 month contract with them in Feb, as I was getting 120mbps despite 240mbps being their new lowest (they happily upgraded me as long as I went into a new contract).

This "offer" was in the last price increase notification remind them of if.
    ''We've got a new Virgin Media Hub waiting for you…
    We are migrating our 240Mb Broadband and Home Phone customers to the new Virgin Media Hub. The Hub offers the best in-home WiFi experience in the market – ensuring you get the best WiFi speeds and range throughout the home.

You can exchange your existing modem for the new Virgin Media Hub at no extra cost and without extending your contract. We’re currently communicating with customers to roll out the new hub and you can request yours now at www.virginmedia.ie/besthub
    "

And remember you will need an ipv4 address to get the bridging mode on the new hub.
    Can you get the Virgin Media Hub - and the upgrade to 240Mb - without signing a new contract; or do you have to put pen to paper do you know? 

I'm currently stuck with the dog with fleas that is the TC7200 and am only getting 120mbps, if and when I actually get that; despite 240mbps supposedly being their new lowest speed.
    Or, if I'd rather not sign another contract; is it possible to get the new hub without increasing to the 240Mb Broadband?
    Any chance of a response to this, other than grogi's rather odd question above?

I'd really like to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Sorry to post in an old thread, but today my Thomson TWG-870U which was working fine in bridged mode using the mechanism described in this thread, has suddenly been reset and now I can't put it back into bridge mode. I've tried MIB Browser and it won't connect to the router (I have the VM cable plugged out).

Anyone had something similar happen and managed to get it back into bridge mode?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Skittle wrote: »
    Sorry to post in an old thread, but today my Thomson TWG-870U which was working fine in bridged mode using the mechanism described in this thread, has suddenly been reset and now I can't put it back into bridge mode. I've tried MIB Browser and it won't connect to the router (I have the VM cable plugged out).

Anyone had something similar happen and managed to get it back into bridge mode?

It may be the case that you are suffering from the blight of DS-Lite and that you have been given an ipv6 address. You can check here.

If it is the case that you have an ipv6 address you can visit the VM forum and ask the reps there to get you back to ipv4. Unfortunately customers can be reverted to ipv6 at any time at the whim of VM.

Thanks for the reply Dub45. I ran the test and I got this (I've replaced some of IP address info with x's). It says the IP6 protocol is a last resort protocol, so have they switched me to IP6 Lite?:
    Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 176.xxx.xxx.xxx

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2001:0:9d38:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
    Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be LGI-UPC formerly known as UPC Broadband Holding B.V., AT

Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of IPv4/IPv6 gateway. Your particular teredo configuration is only used as a protocol of last resort. When visiting a site with both IPv4 and IPv6, IPv4 will be preferred.

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

They have. It’s ds-lite so not strictly ipv6 but a pain in the ass middle ground with lots of issues. Contact them and ask to be switched back to ipv4 , it’s a fairly regularly request on the Ask virgin forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Make sure and contact them via the support forum. There have been many reports of customers being wrongly referred to their third party operated extortionate so called Premium support line to get this fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ondafly wrote: »
    They have. It’s ds-lite so not strictly ipv6 but a pain in the ass middle ground with lots of issues. Contact them and ask to be switched back to ipv4 , it’s a fairly regularly request on the Ask virgin forum.

DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) is a full blown IPv6 implementation.

Where it is limited is IPv4 - simplifying things, the users are behind a NAT - which for ordinary user does not really matter. However, if connectivity from outside matters, all your machines are publicly addressable via IPv6. Use Teredo, 6in4 or 6to4 tunnels to address those machines from nodes in IPv4-only network. The modem is acting as another router, does not limit your IPv6 connectivity in that setup at all.

IPv4 is going away and should only be used for backwards compatibility now. The soon you get to the other part of the transition, the better.

Well I've been switched back to an IP4 address only but I still can't get MIB Browser to connect to the Thomson. The IP address of the router is right and I've turned off the firewall and turned on remote management. I've powered the router on whilst the VM cable is unplugged and the blasted this still won't connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Hello guys,
    Please is there any work around for phones lines to continue working after bridge mode?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Have you managed to get this router back into bridge mode? If so can you let me know how you did it?

Have you managed to get this router back into bridge mode? If so can you let me know how you did it?

Yes, the modem is in bride mode and using an asus router but the phone lines not working when connected to the modem phone line

I couldn't get mine back into bridge mode, how did you manage it, can you detail what steps you took?

I couldn't get mine back into bridge mode, how did you manage it, can you detail what steps you took?

1. Power off the device.
    2. Unplug the coax cable and start up.
    3. Run the snmp-set command:
    $ snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1
    SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 = INTEGER: 1
    (check you’re using the correct IP address if you get a permission denied or timeout error).
    4. Power off device.
    5. Reconnect coax and power up. The device should be in bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

sammyano wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    Please is there any work around for phones lines to continue working after bridge mode?
    Thanks

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Hello guys,
    Thanks

Get virgin to swap it out for the new modem. It supports bridging without any hacks.

stimpson wrote: »
    Get virgin to swap it out for the new modem. It supports bridging without any hacks.

Are you saying that with the new Hub that phone line do work when in Bridge mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Are you saying that with the new Hub that phone line do work when in Bridge mode?

I’m fairly sure. The don’t use the phone myself. Ring them and ask.

Advertisement