Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brainzina

Unfortunately the direct link to the switch-mode site doesn't work. I've tried it already. Would be the nicest way to solve it.

Thanks for your replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

brainzina wrote: »
    Unfortunately the direct link to the switch-mode site doesn't work. I've tried it already. Would be the nicest way to solve it.

Thanks for your replies!

Bear in mind when you first click the switch mode link it will take you to the login screen and not the switch mode screen,

You need to login first then click the link a second time to get to the switch mode screen,

At least thats the only way I can access it here :)

I've tried that all. The site is just not there.

But I talked to UPC today and complained about the bad firmware. After a little talk with them I got an "old" "just modem"! So now I have what I want :D !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

But I talked to UPC today and complained about the bad firmware. After a little talk with them I got an "old" "just modem"! So now I have what I want :D !

Happy ending so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

What did they give you ? Whats your BB speed ?

I purchased a asus 68u to replace me e3000 and confirm that my tc will still not work correctly in bridge mode. It just basically stops communicating with the internet after about 15 mins.

Would be up for asking them for a modem at this stage.

• Advertisement

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Would be up for asking them for a modem at this stage.

I would totally do that!

I just complained a little bit about the bad firmware and the fact that it's just them not wanting to work in bridge mode (while the callcenter was claiming that bridge mode doesn't work anymore at all) and then they gave me an "old" modem.

Brill thanks, I see the "old" modem still works at a fast speed so will ask them for one, cheers !

Brill thanks, I see the "old" modem still works at a fast speed so will ask them for one, cheers !

Absolutely!

Technically it doesn't make a difference if it is a modem or a modem-router it's just UPC policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

Absolutely!

Technically it doesn't make a difference if it is a modem or a modem-router it's just UPC policy.

Hi, good to see you got sorted. Is it the old scientific Atlanta modem? What speed are you getting with it?
    And could anyone explain why the Thomson switch mode link works for some but not others?
    Thanks.

It's a Ubee modem.

I get the normal speed I purchased 75 down, 7,5 up.

• Advertisement

On some modems there is no switch url.

On mine I have the url and made the change ok but the internet refuses to stay working after 15 mins until I reboot it. Lights remain lit etc. Probably something not updating correctly when in bridge mode. So i use it in router mode, means I have to put all my port forwarding stuff on the upc box and not my shiny new box and wouldn't bother trying to get VPN working just at present.

Still waiting to hear back from UPC.

It's a Ubee modem.

Interesting... so they're now doing DOCSIS 3.0 modem only units?

Karsini wrote: »
    Interesting... so they're now doing DOCSIS 3.0 modem only units?

You can only get 75mb on docsis 3 ?

On some modems there is no switch url.

On mine I have the url and made the change ok but the internet refuses to stay working after 15 mins until I reboot it. Lights remain lit etc. Probably something not updating correctly when in bridge mode. So i use it in router mode, means I have to put all my port forwarding stuff on the upc box and not my shiny new box and wouldn't bother trying to get VPN working just at present.

Still waiting to hear back from UPC.
    Ah thanks.

You can only get 75mb on docsis 3 ?
    You can get more than that. DOCSIS 2.0 is a theoretical maximum of 50Mb but UPC only allow up to 30Mb. So it has to be 3.0.

It's a Ubee modem.

That's cool! Didn't know they did modem only.

They just told me they don't. I might try the reps here.

They just told me they don't. I might try the reps here.

Maybe brainzina isn't in Ireland. There's a lot of users on this thread in other countries.

Hi,
    My friend has the Thompson router on 1.75 and I was wondering, if I tried do this hack on his router will it still work?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Asm wrote: »
    Hi,
    My friend has the Thompson router on 1.75 and I was wondering, if I tried do this hack on his router will it still work?

Thanks.

I think I bridged mine on the old firmware but it's on 01.75 now so I don't see why not, it's very quick to do, 5 mins and you're done so give it a whirl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

Hi,

Thanks.

Yes, it will work.

Thanks.

Just to let you know, I had trouble doing it with method one so I used method 2. After a while of it not communicating with the Thomson I remembered to unplug the upc cable. After that it could connect and it worked :D .

Hi,
    I know I'm asking a lot but I'm just wondering will I be charged extra on my bill if I plug my ps3 directly into the Thomson modem so it gets a public IP address (to get nat type 1). My question is; will I be charged extra for using 2 public IP addresses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Hi,
    I know I'm asking a lot but I'm just wondering will I be charged extra on my bill if I plug my ps3 directly into the Thomson modem so it gets a public IP address (to get nat type 1). My question is; will I be charged extra for using 2 public IP addresses?

You will get only 1 public address. UPC won't charge for anything mentioned in this thread.

There's no advantage of having NAT 1 over NAT 2 so I personally wouldn't bother. Only if it's type 3 do you have a problem.

Karsini wrote: »
    There's no advantage of having NAT 1 over NAT 2 so I personally wouldn't bother. Only if it's type 3 do you have a problem.

It's just that I'm being kicked from friend's sessions (in GTA V). I might try it. Thanks for the replies.

Edit: I plugged the ps3 into port 2 on the Thomson and it now has Nat type 1. So you must be able to get 2 ips. I'll try it out like this and if the problems stop ill leave it the way it is. Thanks.
    Edit 2: Everyone left and I was left alone in the session so it didn't fix the issue so I plugged the ps3 back into my router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Yeah I read in another thread, you get max 3 public IP addresses with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 psychodracon

Is there any way to do this on TC7200 STD6.01.27 from Poland? I tried to do this by "windows 2 option" everything works fine but after connecting coaxial cable again to the router it reboot itself and switch back to router mode again :(. Please help... I tried to talk with UPC but they refuse to change it to cisco modem or modem-router. TC has very bad wirelles range and it has lack of different setting i need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 The.King

Karsini gave me the head's-up on this post from another (UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide)

Just to be 'sure to be sure' (as the saying goes), if I follow Windows guide 2 (thanks to Jonathanpbk) on the very first post - I don't need to Download Net-SMP, or to follow any of the other 1-7 instructions originally posted by docentore? Is that right?

As I mentioned in my other post on the above subject - I'm not an IT dude, so just want to be sure I don't mess this up.

Thanks indeed to all for sharing this and to the OP - I've been trying to get my TWG870 piece of crap into bridge mode for ages.

Advertisement