Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E60 525D fuel leak

Options
  • 17-12-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

So I bought a 2004 E60 525D today, had a turbotech refurb Turbo fitted 2 weeks ago, troublesome swirl flaps removed, well minded and well spec'd car. All going grand until I brimed the tank earlier, noticed that it drank 1/4 tank in the space of 20km. I heard a hissing sound which was new, and noticed that diesel was gushing out from underneath whilst running (left side behind wheel beside exhaust). This happened sudden so it would seem, as it was fine for the first 6/7 hours parked on the driveway, 20 mins running whilst removing the handsfree with no puddles underneath.

Because I've to work and it's dark out I couldn't get a good look but I personally think it could be a broken fuel line. I'm wondering if anyone's had a similar thing happen with an E60 or even E39 and anybody know how deep I'm going to have to dig to get it sorted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I've an e90 so it could be a similar issue as mine. If you absolutely brim it, there's a fault at the very top of the tank where it will leak fuel (or the tube going from the fuel flap to the tank itself).

Its a very common fault with the e90 anyway. If you Google it you find lots of posts. I thought about getting it fixed, but now just avoid brimming it.

I never lost a quarter of a tank tho, so maybe there's something else going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I've an e90 so it could be a similar issue as mine. If you absolutely brim it, there's a fault at the very top of the tank where it will leak fuel (or the tube going from the fuel flap to the tank itself).

Its a very common fault with the e90 anyway. If you Google it you find lots of posts. I thought about getting it fixed, but now just avoid brimming it.

I never lost a quarter of a tank tho, so maybe there's something else going on.

I got under it this morning and found that the inline filter had cracked, looked new but wasn't an original filter, changed it out and washed out the under carriage.

Crisis averted. Although I did lose half a tank and ruined my driveway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

macroman wrote: »
    I got under it this morning and found that the inline filter had cracked, looked new but wasn't an original filter, changed it out and washed out the under carriage.

Crisis averted. Although I did lose half a tank and ruined my driveway :(

Not too bad. At least the filters not a very expensive fix.

Advertisement