Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Recover Company chasing Employee over personal debts

Options
  • 17-12-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭

In the last few weeks a debt recovery company has started to chase one of my employees over some personal debts by phoning our offices.

As the debts are not anything to do with my business, what recourse do I have to tell them not to be contacting this employee during office hours on our telephones, I'm sure this will end up with them calling to the office.

I can call them and say dont ring here again but if they continue to do so is there anyone I can make a complaint to? They are registered with the data protection commissioner is that the first port of call?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A debt collector cannot contact a debtor at his/her place of work unless he/she is also living there, or unless all reasonable efforts to contact the debtor elsewhere have failed. They are not entitled to call to your premises and indeed should not contact you, the employer. The Central Bank has a consumer protection code (see their site) and there also is the Consumer Credit Act 1995 If the debt chasers persist, next time they call tell them that you will report them to the CBI if they call again. You also need to consider your employee - tell him/her what you have done and that he/she needs to clarify matters with his/her lender.

Advertisement