Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Electricians - (who know the Facts!)

Options
  • 17-12-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello There,

I have a neighbour with on on-going household habit that concerns me greatly. They are one of these people that are somewhat set in their ways and thoughts, and they have an ongoing habit of leaving naked-ended leads for electrical equipment plugged into live sockets around their house, such as phone-chargers whenever they are finished charging their phones, Gadgets and other similar devices.

Now I am not a qualified Electrician, but I am aware from basic teaching at school/college how dangerous this practice is, and how conducive it is to domestic fires nationwide. Unfortunately though, each time they just seem to dismiss this out of hand, citing it as nonsense, their argument being that there is no way it can cause a fire unless it is plugged into an applicance, as otherwise it has no source to which to carry the heat !! :eek:

I have additionally pointed out to them that I am aware of people that this had happened to, which was discovered thereafter by forensics after their house went on Fire. Again this notion was dismissed out of hand, citing that these were just the opinions of rogue tradespeople who will do or say anything just to make a buck !! :mad:

In light of this... can anybody out there recommend some website Links with information - ideally backed up with nationwide Statistics where possible, that I can present to these people to prove this point ? - Any suggestions from Reputable sources much appreciated... which are less likely to appear as just mere opinions of rogue tradespeople !!

Many Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Phone chargers causing house fires?

I'd be interested in where you're getting that info from.

I can't see it being more dangerous than a dc supply for your door bell which is constantly powered unless it's tampered with in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Electrical fires are caused by faulty wiring,faulty appliances,loose connections etc i.e there is always a fault somewhere. I have seen reports of chargers spontaneously combusting once or twice on the news over the years but it was always due to faults with the charger's themselves.Not a frequent occurrence by any stretch.

So any charger or power lead left plugged in is not going to cause any issues whatsoever unless its faulty in some way or it becomes faulty in some way by getting damaged,soaked in water etc.Also a lead not plugged into anything or into something that is not switched on is not carrying any electrical current.

Unless there's a fault or a fault develops,what they are doing is not unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Real Live Wire

What about leads that are plugged into sockets which ARE switched on...... this safe you reckon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What about leads that are plugged into sockets which ARE switched on...... this safe you reckon ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have additionally pointed out to them that I am aware of people that this had happened to, which was discovered thereafter by forensics after their house went on Fire. ..

So you know people? Or have you been reading the daily mail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I have additionally pointed out to them that I am aware of people that this had happened to, which was discovered thereafter by forensics after their house went on Fire. .

You are almost on the right track

The electricity is leaking out and forming dangerous puddles on the ground

Only does this when no one is around - its actually very shy

I wouldn't chance that now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You can wear a tinfoil hat to deflect the puddles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Phone chargers causing house fires?

Dublin Fire Brigade, and others, have said they and laptop chargers left plugged in are a cause of house fires they're called out to.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/1115/20473633-fire-service-warns-of-dangers-of-leaving-mobile-phone-and-laptop-chargers-plugged-in-overnight/

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Dublin Fire Brigade, and others, have said they and laptop chargers left plugged in are a major cause of house fires they're called out to.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/1115/20473633-fire-service-warns-of-dangers-of-leaving-mobile-phone-and-laptop-chargers-plugged-in-overnight/

I'd be dubious if it's the actual charger more likely the battery in the appliance.

I've heard stories of some phone batteries swelling and over heating by being continuously charged over night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i wouldn't be leaving any cheap electronic stuff plugged in myself

it may not cause a fire but the quality is poor on a lot of chargers and the like

I'd be dubious if it's the actual charger more likely the battery in the appliance.

I've heard stories of some phone batteries swelling and over heating by being continuously charged over night.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mobile-phone-chargers-can-spark-deadly-house-fires-26288358.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm pretty sure I saw in an interview that they weren't hooked up to anything, just left plugged in and it's the chargers themselves that are the problem. In fact on the RTE fly on the wall documentary earlier this year I'm sure they were called to a house fire which they said was probably caused by a charger left plugged in.

That's scary to think I leave my charger plugged in next to the bed.

I've always thought that in wiring houses it would be useful to have some sort of isolation for non essential sockets other than the MCB/RCBO.

Something along the lines of a double pole switch located next to the light switch in each room. I know I for one wouldn't be stretching behind the tv to knock off the socket.

You only really need the fridge/freezer to remain on throughout the night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have one beside my bed and I sleep like a baby. I think it has not been unplugged for at least 3 years :)
    You only really need the fridge/freezer to remain on throughout the night.
    When I think about it I have many electronic items permanently powered up or plugged in at home. This includes:

Satellite box
    Intruder alarm system
    Gas boiler & time clock
    Network printer
    Network Switch
    Network drive x 2
    iMac x 2
    CCTV cameras
    Phone and tablet chargers x 3
    Wi-Fi router
    Cooker (for the time clock)
    Microwave
    Smoke detectors
    Heat detector
    Carbon monoxide detector
    Freezer unit
    Fridge
    Outdoor sensor lights

According to my Owl meter the above load costs me 2.7 cent per hour to run.

I've always thought that in wiring houses it would be useful to have some sort of isolation for non essential sockets other than the MCB/RCBO.

I know I for one wouldn't be stretching behind the tv to knock off the socket.
    if they're inaccessible the rules require a DP switch in place

that was a big problem in the old days
    plugs hidden all over the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

At least now it wont go unreported:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    I have one beside my bed and I sleep like a baby. I think it has not been unplugged for at least 3 years :)

Scared by a phone charger? Imagine the terror of going for a drive. Whats the ratio of Phone charger deaths:Road deaths I wonder?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    Scared by a phone charger?

No, not me.
    I have been known to walk into a shop full of them without a second thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

I think that IEC leads are well dodgy because toddlers like to shove the ends into their mouths, at least all of mine did!

• Advertisement

The chargers are built into the devices. The power supply is just a constant voltage supply.

Why is it always a justification of expense or safety and not one of waste?
    It's not crazy weather it's climate change. :rolleyes:
    Is it so hard to wire a switch where it would make sense?

I think that IEC leads are well dodgy because toddlers like to shove the ends into their mouths, at least all of mine did!

For sure - locking ones are a bit better, grind the red button down a bit

http://www.videk.co.uk/section.php/1399/1/iec-c14-male-to-iec-c13-female-locking-power-cable

http://uk.farnell.com/schaffner/il13-c14-h05-3100-200/lead-locking-iec-plug-2m-blk/dp/2063259

Advertisement