Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stability vs Motion Control

Options
  • 17-12-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone explain to me the difference between stability and motion control shoe? To me they would seem to suggest the same thing. Is this just different terminology used by different brands..

thanks + apologies for dumb ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Different degrees of guidance. Common enough for confusion to reign around the terminology.

I would generally classify shoes as Neutral or Guidance.

Within the guidance category you then have increasing levels of structural control from mild / moderate guidance (Mizuno Inspire / Saucony Guide) through stability (Asics Kayano / Brooks Adrenaline) to motion control (Asics Foundation / Saucony Stabil / Brooks Beast).

To be honest unless you are a severe over prontaor and carrying a lot of body weight there are far fewer reasons for people to go into motion control shoes. Its important to encourage the foot to work as part of the landing, loading & launch phases of running that way you develop foot strength and leg stabilisation through muscular dvelopment rather than relying on a shoe to do all the work.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Thanks - the explanation is really helpful.

I fall into the stability category at the moment. I have run in Kayanos and in April changed to Saucony Omni. Honestly though, I still haven't found a shoe which I am completely happy with. Researching what other potential options are out there is pretty confusing.
    I would love to find a shoe I can run in and not think about my feet in one way or another, constantly. The dream is to forget am actually wearing shoes :-)

Advertisement