Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkies - tails not docked, smell of pee

• 17-12-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm fairly sure there's no obvious answer to the problem but if anyone can come up with a solution it'll be the boardsie pet lovers!

We have three mini yorkies, a mother who had been docked when we got her as a pup and her two daughters who aren't docked. They sleep in the garage but come in for a few hours each evening.

They're not overly groomed, they're happy, rough and tumble little things. It's the constant smell of stale pee that's the problem. It seems obvious that it's basically because their tails are dragging in their pee, nothing they can do about that. I could cut the hair on their tails tight but I'm not sure that would even solve it and they'd look ridiculous although I'd get over that.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hygiene is the problem here. Clean their area more often, and wash the dogs. Yorkies have a lot of long hair and if their coats aren't being looked after they are probably urinating on themselves. You say they sleep in the garage, where do they spend the daytime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yep, Yorkies are so low to the ground that squatting for peeing and pooing inevitably means some debris gets left behind. Get them groomed and ask the groomer to tidy up the bum end and keep the hair quite short, you can then keep the back end tidy yourself and also check daily to see if there's any matted hair or debris left from toileting. Baby wipes are great for cleaning up the area too.

Bedding will need regular washing as well. Is their garage warm and insulated? Yorkies have a very fine coat and really should be indoor dogs, they don't have the body fat or the coat to keep them warm during most of the year.

Advertisement