Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Royal Rumble 2014 Pre Show Thread *use spoiler tags for surprise entrants*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

someone from the title match: Cena or Orton
    Who called it that Reigns would beat Kanes elimination record this year?

because I agree!

Always look forward to the Rumble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Any talk of a Shield break up totally ignores the fact they have unfinished business with Undertaker and that for the past month Undertaker's name has been dropped during their matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Roman Reigns
    Garseys wrote: »
    Who called it that Reigns would beat Kanes elimination record this year?

because I agree!

Always look forward to the Rumble.

I think they will have him come close for sure.

Could be wrong though and Ambrose will eliminate him after 2 minutes. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Roman Reigns
    rovert wrote: »
    Any talk of a Shield break up totally ignores the fact they have unfinished business with Undertaker and that for the past month Undertaker's name has been dropped during their matches.

Yeah. WWE really do seem to be developing the breakup almost by the
    week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Very well done.

An extended version:

Meltzer seems to intimate Reigns is winning the Rumble:
    It’s no great revelation that Reigns is being groomed down the line for one of the top spots on the babyface side with a big push at the Rumble. That said, if anything, the plans right now are even bigger than one would have thought.

With only one World Championship it makes winning the Rumble weird from a booking stand point. As you would normally build up a new headliner by winning the Smackdown belt first and then transition him to the Raw belt but now the Smackdown belt does exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Alberto Del Rio
    Look how fast Diesel was fast tracked after the strong survivor series showing in 94. It could happen at the rumble for Roman. I do doubt it but it would be fresh. They would have to do a lot of work between now and mania and I don't have that much faith in creative.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If the plan is to win the Rumble, I'd rather they don't break The Shield up too quick. I think as a trio, a world title run for a while would be awesome, before Reigns branches off from them a bit.

A rumble win now, with a break up between then and Mania, will only see the break up feud rushed and, most likely, botched....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Roman Reigns
    Wouldn't be a massive surprise if he was to win but it does seem a little early.

Either way I'd expect a really strong showing from him.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a massive surprise if he was to win but it does seem a little early.

Either way I'd expect a really strong showing from him.

That hint from Meltzer could just mean the lights going out and Undertaker appearing in the ring battering Reign for putting him out for a year in London. Leading to Reigns vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

The Observer also has Batista and Hogan coming back for Wrestlemania season. Batista is said to be in great shape and Big E Langston mentioned Batista as a dream opponent in a press interview this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Roman Reigns
    Reigns winning the Rumble would be awesome tbh.

Is he ready for a run at the top? Only one way to find out.

At the very least i'd applaud WWE for giving a young guy the chance at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

HHH
    I found this post on the Cena Cannot Wrestle Facebook page, and it seem's
    WWE officials want Roman Reigns of The Shield to have a stellar performance at the 2014 Royal Rumble match. It's now being reported that they might be planning on having him do more than just have a good performance.

Although nothing is certain just yet, there is reportedly a chance that Roman Reigns could be the one to win the Royal Rumble match. Whatever happens, look for Reigns to be a dominant force in the Rumble whether he ends up winning it or not.

2014 could be Roman Reigns breakout year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I found this post on the Cena Cannot Wrestle Facebook page, and it seem's

2014 could be Roman Reigns breakout year

Fin Martin is on facebook :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dazzmondo

HHH
    I like Reigns, but it's too early for him to win the Royal Rumble. The WWEWHC is at a ridiculously high level atm. Only Orton, Cena, Bryan, Punk and maybe Del Rio or Sheamus, depending on the booking of them, seem like they could realistically win the title. If Reigns is to win the title this year, it should be towards the end of the year. Maybe he could win MITB (though I would give it to Rhodes personally), but Reigns will probably be able to get himself in the world title picture on his own anyway. I think it's a far better idea to give him a dominant performance before being betrayed by Ambrose (who should also have a good performance imo, and maybe Rollins too). With the Shield soon to break up it seems a good idea to make them all look strong. I was thinking that a triple threat at Wrestlemania for Ambrose's US title would be a good idea. They could pull a big twist by having Rollins get the win since nobody would expect it. Tbh, I believe all 3 will be massive stars in the company in the future regardless of the short term.

There is a large part of me that thinks Daniel Bryan wouldn't make a good Champion and that he is vastly, vastly better at chasing the title as he is able to get so much sympathy. There isn't many heels to feud with as he has already extensively feuded with Orton. Del Rio? Big whoop. He would most likely end up "first hour" Champion like Benoit was back in the old 2 hour Raw days too. While Cena closes Raw.

• Advertisement

Roman Reigns
    There is a large part of me that thinks Daniel Bryan wouldn't make a good Champion and that he is vastly, vastly better at chasing the title as he is able to get so much sympathy. There isn't many heels to feud with as he has already extensively feuded with Orton. Del Rio? Big whoop. He would most likely end up "first hour" Champion like Benoit was back in the old 2 hour Raw days too. While Cena closes Raw.
    The chase can only go on for so long before it gets boring though. At some stage soon the payoff needs to come, and then the WWE need to find ways to develop storylines that keep his character as fresh as how we all know he will keep his in-ring work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

There is a large part of me that thinks Daniel Bryan wouldn't make a good Champion

he was a pretty entertaining whc to be fair. hhh, a returning heel sheamus, a heel henry, possible feud with kane, bray wyatt, even a heel punk, the inevitable face vs face re-match with cena. tons of options there for wwe if they put their mind to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think its the reason they went where they did at Summerslam, no worthwhile heels but they made two that night alone.

Roman Reigns
    No way will Reigns win the Rumble. WWE would have been doing far more to get him over as an individual in preparation of him headlining Wrestlemania (Reigns v Orton doesn't sound like too much of a seller, it's not even a Raw headliner, maybe a Smackdown headliner).

Last we saw of him at a PPV he was costing the Shield a match. Expect him to have a really impressive Rumble without winning, loose ends will have to be tied with the Shield (hopefully in a suitably epic and not rushed manner) before he can make a push at the top of the bill. He will surely have to go through the Big Shows and the Langstons (could be epic and was hinted at on Smackdown) of the world before he is let at the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Brock Lesnar
    Penn wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can see that happening. Remember when he did it with the New Nexus. They'd taken a load of guys, being led by Punk, then Cena comes in and throws them all out within the two minutes, all so they could do a bit of comedy with Cena and Hornswoggle.

Difference being the Nexus, both new and old, sucked.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    No way will Reigns win the Rumble. WWE would have been doing far more to get him over as an individual in preparation of him headlining Wrestlemania (Reigns v Orton doesn't sound like too much of a seller, it's not even a Raw headliner, maybe a Smackdown headliner).

In fairness Reigns pinned Punk on Raw. There's some reasons you could argue for it besides Reigns getting DA BIG PUSH:

Punishment for the Punk-AJ stuff

JUST The Shield getting their win back from the TLC 3 on 1. A match Punk won as WWE had to have a top babyface win as Bryan and Cena lost. So there's nothing to see here.

Brock Lesnar
    In fairness Reigns pinned Punk on Raw.

Which was also Punk's first loss on TV since March. Not many people beat him on TV these days.

Roman Reigns
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Which was also Punk's first loss on TV since March. Not many people beat him on TV these days.

Yeah, true, still think it counts as a lot less of a push after being the one to blame the night before.

I mean obviously he is going to get the push, and they're clearly already preparing for it, but I think it'll be post-Mania as it would be surprising to see them take such a big risk in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jd1594

I think it's still far too early to push Reigns to the moon. His ring and mic skills (they've improved tremendously mind you) still need to be developed.

Ambrose could make Reigns look a million bucks as a face if they eventually feud after the Shield implodes. It would be a great way of cementing both as future top heel/face of the company, sorta like Rock/HHH in 1997/8.

As for the Rumble, it's pretty wide open this year. I reckon it could be Punk's year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just seeing return videos in another thread reminded me weren't Shelton Benjamin and carlito rumoured to be returning last year leading to a deafening silence when number 29 was Sin Cara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

HHH
    Since the
    Batista surprise return
    has been leaked, would be cool to see Undertaker and a corporate suited and booted Kane, as #1 and #2 in the Rumble.

Roman Reigns
    Charisteas wrote: »
    Since the
    Batista surprise return
    has been leaked, would be cool to see Undertaker and a corporate suited and booted Kane, as #1 and #2 in the Rumble.

People obsess too much over 1 and 2 IMO. That's not where the magic is for me.

Brock Lesnar

I want someone like Reigns in early so he can kill almost everyone. Keep all the big guns for the last 10 or 15 spots.

Also hope Jericho doesn't show up. His surprise returns get less surprising every time.

Roman Reigns
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I want someone like Reigns in early so he can kill almost everyone. Keep all the big guns for the last 10 or 15 spots.

Also hope Jericho doesn't show up. His surprise returns get less surprising every time.
    Yeah, ideally you're gonna go with 2 starters to the Rumble who can keep the match interesting while leaving the big hitters to make their impact from the middle to the end.

2 of Ziggler, Sandow, Ambrose and Rollins to start would be great. Maybe Christian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

HHH

With the Rumble the magic should be from start to finish, so I would have no problem with 1 and 2 being two potential winners.

• Advertisement

Roman Reigns
    Charisteas wrote: »
    With the Rumble the magic should be from start to finish, so I would have no problem with 1 and 2 being two potential winners.

With the lack of 'A+ players' you're not going to get magic from start to finish. It might have been ok to start Stone Cold and Kane 1 and 2 in the past, knowing you had HHH, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Jericho, Lesnar, Goldberg, RVD, The Undertaker still to come. This year if you started Bryan and Cena, you've only really Batista and Punk to wait for plus whatever surprise entrants there are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think Rumble 2012 existed entirely to set standards so low that all following would seem super in comparison.

Gimmicks and novelties and joke-spots everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably more a question for the spotlight thread, but if cena is in the rumble, who do you think should eliminate him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alberto Del Rio
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Probably more a question for the spotlight thread, but if cena is in the rumble, who do you think should eliminate him?

If Taker Vs. Cena is happening at WM maybe have Taker return for the rumble match itself and eliminate Cena and maybe someone like Sheamus or Reigns then eliminates Taker, let Cena and Taker get in it outside the ring with Cena challenging Taker to a match at WM on Raw

Alberto Del Rio
    WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton vs. John Cena

Batista and Alberto Del Rio are the only official entrants for the rumble match itself so far

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

HHH
    Can see Punk winning this with Reigns coming 2nd.

Alberto Del Rio
    Hopefully Brian but i think Punk will prevail. I hope Big Dave doesnt win though.

Roman Reigns
    Fairly confident it is gonna be Batista. WWE are gonna want to move as are away from the angles that didn't pull ratings (and ignore the fact that it was more to do with their own **** booking and creative) and go for something new (well at least the WWE definition of the word new) for the main event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Alberto Del Rio
    Always hope that Bryan would win. In fact it was very possible until Batista came back. Now we can look forward to Batista vs. Cena at Wresltemania why Bryan and Orton what the match from there hotel rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

HHH
    Gotta be Punk or Batista. Think I'll go with Batista, with Triple H somehow involved to setup the Mania match.

Punk-HHH and Batista-Orton with Cena/D-Bry with or without Hogan teaming up to take on the Wyatts looks likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Roman Reigns
    Hard to see past Batista.

Although that would make me almost as sad as when Cena won it last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

HHH
    Punk needs it on the CV really. Something irks me about the same guy winning it more than once.

Austin was different because it was seen as his only way of getting a title shot. HBK winning twice was strange (his first win particularly).

Brock Lesnar
    Punk needs it on the CV really. Something irks me about the same guy winning it more than once.

Austin was different because it was seen as his only way of getting a title shot. HBK winning twice was strange (his first win particularly).

Hogan, Michaels, Austin and Cena. Pretty elite list.

Alberto Del Rio
    Gotta be Punk or Batista. Think I'll go with Batista, with Triple H somehow involved to setup the Mania match.

Punk-HHH and Batista-Orton with Cena/D-Bry with or without Hogan teaming up to take on the Wyatts looks likely.

I'd prefer to see Batista Vs. Lesnar/Batista Vs. Reigns (both non title) at WM or SS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Roman Reigns
    We could do with a poll mods:o

For be Batista is the favorite, Punk will do well but I don't see him winning it. Assuming brock is not in it, Reigns and maybe Bray are most likely of the rest.

• Advertisement

Roman Reigns
    A shock early Batista elimination (maybe Reigns setting up a feud between them) would make the whole thing so much more captivating. People would genuinely have no idea who was going to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Alberto Del Rio
    Daniel Bryan has 100% of the votes

Alberto Del Rio
    In the poll, Heart says D-Bry, Head says Batista. Voted with my heart though

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

HHH
    I'm conflicted on who i want to win the Royal Rumble, i voted CM Punk, he's definitely due a Royal Rumble win....... But then again i also want Daniel Bryan to win and go on to WRESTLEMANIA XXX and have the big moment he was supposed to have after winning the WWE Championship back at Summerslam (Until he was royally screwed over by HHH & Randy Orton)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Alberto Del Rio
    poll added - if you want anyone else added let me know but I guess other can cover folk like Ryback, Henry, Big Show etc who are a little less likely to pick up many votes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement